Rank Your Favorite Bands' BOTTOM TEN Songs

_hi_water._

Van Halen:

I could do the whole Van Halen III album, but that would feel like cheating... so I will exclude that from my list:

1. "Learning To See"

2. "Up For Breakfast"

3. "A Apolitical Blues"

4. "Spanked"

5. "Big Fat Money"

6. "Feelin'"

7. "Man On A Mission"

8. "Can't Stop Lovin' You"

9. "In 'N' Out"

10. "Strung Out"/"Not Enough"

Gonna try, again, with Lacuna Coil (this is super hard for me)

Okay so:

1. Underdog 

2. The Maze 

3. Virtual Environment (I would love the song minus the f***ing bagpipes) 

4. The Pain 

Okay I genuinely love everything else, and I don't even hate these songs 🤣

• Like 1

Styx

I like all these except First Time, the band's only true true stinker.

1. First Time
2. Another Farewell
3. I'm Gonna Make You Feel It
4. A Man Like Me
5. Southern Woman
6. You Better Ask
7. The Grove Of Eglantine
8. Our Wonderful Lives
9. Little Suzie
10. Great Expectations

• Like 1

There`s no DLR on this list, surprising nobody. No Gary Cherone either... which is a fair summation of just how sad these songs make me.

Up For Breakfast

It`s About Time

Why Can't This Be Love

Spanked

In `n` Out

Big Fat Money

Amsterdam

Take Me Back (Deja Vu)

Learning To See

Inside

• Like 1

Bottom ten Queen songs?? Oof, that's tough. I mean, I know my least favorite off the top of my head, but sorting out the rest is gonna take a minute...

10. Seven Seas Of Rhye....

This is the short instrumental version that closes the debut album. It only barely makes it on here because, in light of how absolutely fantastic the full song is, the sneak preview version always feels a shade disappointing to me, as I'm expecting it to kick into the full song.

9. My Baby Does Me

Freddie and his sexy songs, lol.  He knocked it out of the park way back on NOTW with Get Down, Make Love, but on The Miracle the weirdness and experimental bent has largely been swapped out in favor of a robotic "sexy" vibe. I'm not the right person to ask if it works for that context, but it doesn't do much for me in a typical listening context, aside from Freddie's ever immaculate vocal delivery and a few nice licks from Brian.

8. Don't Lose Your Head

But go ahead and lose the song to some garbled audio from the movie it soundtracked.  Not a whole lot going for the song to begin with, more montage music than anything else. I ruled out including anything from Flash Gordon on principle of those tracks not really trying to function as stand alone songs in the first place, but this one seems to make the bare minimum effort to do so and still doesn't quite work. Oh well, at least it's a bit funny!

7. Calling All Girls

This song feels like Roger popped open the dummies guide to pop songwriting and followed the instructions to the letter.  Perfectly serviceable pop music, but severely lacking most of that special Queen magic which elevates even their least inspired material. Gets some extra points for a heartfelt live rendition in the bonus tracks on my digital album though.

6. Ride The Wild Wind

This song has always felt a bit empty to me.  Like a shell of the open road anthem it was first envisioned as, though that does fit the haunting atmosphere of Innuendo, it doesn't serve the song in question terribly well. I like it better in the album than on its own for that reason.

5. Back Chat

Incessantly catchy hook. Definition of an ear worm. Ripping guitar solo as well from a very frustrated and slightly disco-phobic (at the time of recording) Brian May.  However, my favorite bit it when it ends and Freddie is mimicking a surface level conversation at a party with himself.... not a good sign for the song itself.

4. Body Language

Freddie and his sexy songs again, lol.  But this time he decides to get even weirder!  Once again, I'm the wrong person to ask how well this works as mood music, but as a song... well I'm not laughing with it exactly...

3.  Rock It (Prime Jive)

A rather weird decision to have Freddie sing the sparse intro then give the meat of the song to Roger.  Not a decision I'm opposed to in theory, but in execution I think Roger probably should've taken the whole song to himself or cut out the intro entirely.  Anyway this is Queen putting on their best impression of The Cars, ironically being the other really famous band their old producer worked with, and even more ironically not doing a terribly convincing job of it.  Somehow by stripping the arrangement back to the bare essentials, Queen have made something that should sound effortless appear a bit forced. Maybe just showering it in harmonies and overdubs would have been excessive, but then again maybe it would've been better.

2.  You Don't Fool Me

Freddie's vocals are always a treat to hear, and the chord changes and guitar playing in the bridge are pretty cool, but really this is about two and a half minutes of good material stretched to twice its length, padding out a record that already has plenty of other material on it.  It makes sense in the context of just trying to give the fans as much more as can be offered, which is how most of the Made In Heaven record plays out, but a fantastic song it really isn't.

1.  Coming Soon

My longtime least favorite Queen song, I would argue the very first moment in their career where they just weren't terribly interesting, which is about the least Queen-like thing to be.  I don't mind the tune, and I have to admit it's grown on me with time and familiarity.  However, sitting next to any other Queen tune, this just feels like three minutes of fluff, filler, flotsam.  It's not bad.  It's just not much of anything.

• Like 3

I'll Try Queen

1. Sweet Lady

2. White Boy

3. Jesus

4. Mustapha

6. Don't Try Suicide (tasteless song)

7.  Kashoggi's Ship

8. Body Language

9.  Fun It.

10.  Machines ( or back to Humans)

Honestly i love Queen dearly but i could have listed at least 10 more.  they've made some awful music, lol

Mick

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, bluefox4000 said:

I'll Try Queen

1. Sweet Lady

2. White Boy

3. Jesus

4. Mustapha

7.  Kashoggi's Ship

8. Body Language

9.  Fun It.

Honestly i love Queen dearly but i could have listed at least 10 more.  they've made some awful music, lol

Mick

I had Sweet Lady in my little playlist I used to sort out my least favorite and  it floated right to the top (most favorite) for me, lol. It gets a lot of points just for being on my favorite album.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bluefox4000 said:

I'll Try Queen

2. White Boy

Mick

Lol

I would correct you but I’m wondering if you did this on purpose.

Stones

1. Cherry Oh Baby
  2. Short & Curlies
  3. This Place Is Empty
  4. Dirty Work
  5. Back To Zero
  6. Wanna Hold You
  7. Feel On Baby
  8. Slipping Away
  9. The Worst
  10. Brand New Car

• Like 1

I'm really impressed by all of you and your mastery of the bottom of your band's barrel. Maybe you guys listen to more whole albums than I do, but I'm not sure I could come up with my "least favorite songs" for any of my favorites because I never listen to them (or haven't for for twenty years, which is the same thing)!

I had to go back and look at some Rush albums, for example, to remind myself that I have no idea what "Neurotica" is about, and I couldn't hum the melody of "The Color of Right" or "Peaceable Kingdom" with a gun to my head, so I assume I never liked those songs to have forgotten them so completely.*

I suppose I could name some one-offs -- I know that I hate "Hog Dog" from Led Zeppelin, for example -- but I don't know the full discography of my bands the way you do. Bottom ten Genesis or Pink Floyd**? I don't even know where to start . . .

Tip o' the hat to you!

(*This is true of things post-1990, when I simply didn't listen to Rush albums over and over the way I did with the earlier ones: I know "I Think I'm Going Bald" is terrible, and there are some profoundly "meh" songs on the debut, but if it's bad and post-Presto, I've probably forgotten it exists)

(**Okay, "Seamus" is a genuinely shitty song . . . and there's the very existence of The Final Cut, I guess . . .)

• Like 2

I don't think I've tried to say, and list an actual Rush's bottom ten songs before.  Here they are, and might change, and or switch positions.

Neurotica

Tai Shan

Rivendell

Madrigal

Anagram (For Mongo)

Hand Over Fist

Dog Years

I Think I'm Going Bald

In the Mood

You Bet Your Life

Edited by Derek19
  • Like 1

On 1/2/2023 at 7:13 AM, Entre_Perpetuo said:

Bottom ten Queen songs?? Oof, that's tough. I mean, I know my least favorite off the top of my head, but sorting out the rest is gonna take a minute...

10. Seven Seas Of Rhye....

This is the short instrumental version that closes the debut album. It only barely makes it on here because, in light of how absolutely fantastic the full song is, the sneak preview version always feels a shade disappointing to me, as I'm expecting it to kick into the full song.

9. My Baby Does Me

Freddie and his sexy songs, lol.  He knocked it out of the park way back on NOTW with Get Down, Make Love, but on The Miracle the weirdness and experimental bent has largely been swapped out in favor of a robotic "sexy" vibe. I'm not the right person to ask if it works for that context, but it doesn't do much for me in a typical listening context, aside from Freddie's ever immaculate vocal delivery and a few nice licks from Brian.

8. Don't Lose Your Head

But go ahead and lose the song to some garbled audio from the movie it soundtracked.  Not a whole lot going for the song to begin with, more montage music than anything else. I ruled out including anything from Flash Gordon on principle of those tracks not really trying to function as stand alone songs in the first place, but this one seems to make the bare minimum effort to do so and still doesn't quite work. Oh well, at least it's a bit funny!

7. Calling All Girls

This song feels like Roger popped open the dummies guide to pop songwriting and followed the instructions to the letter.  Perfectly serviceable pop music, but severely lacking most of that special Queen magic which elevates even their least inspired material. Gets some extra points for a heartfelt live rendition in the bonus tracks on my digital album though.

6. Ride The Wild Wind

This song has always felt a bit empty to me.  Like a shell of the open road anthem it was first envisioned as, though that does fit the haunting atmosphere of Innuendo, it doesn't serve the song in question terribly well. I like it better in the album than on its own for that reason.

5. Back Chat

Incessantly catchy hook. Definition of an ear worm. Ripping guitar solo as well from a very frustrated and slightly disco-phobic (at the time of recording) Brian May.  However, my favorite bit it when it ends and Freddie is mimicking a surface level conversation at a party with himself.... not a good sign for the song itself.

4. Body Language

Freddie and his sexy songs again, lol.  But this time he decides to get even weirder!  Once again, I'm the wrong person to ask how well this works as mood music, but as a song... well I'm not laughing with it exactly...

3.  Rock It (Prime Jive)

A rather weird decision to have Freddie sing the sparse intro then give the meat of the song to Roger.  Not a decision I'm opposed to in theory, but in execution I think Roger probably should've taken the whole song to himself or cut out the intro entirely.  Anyway this is Queen putting on their best impression of The Cars, ironically being the other really famous band their old producer worked with, and even more ironically not doing a terribly convincing job of it.  Somehow by stripping the arrangement back to the bare essentials, Queen have made something that should sound effortless appear a bit forced. Maybe just showering it in harmonies and overdubs would have been excessive, but then again maybe it would've been better.

2.  You Don't Fool Me

Freddie's vocals are always a treat to hear, and the chord changes and guitar playing in the bridge are pretty cool, but really this is about two and a half minutes of good material stretched to twice its length, padding out a record that already has plenty of other material on it.  It makes sense in the context of just trying to give the fans as much more as can be offered, which is how most of the Made In Heaven record plays out, but a fantastic song it really isn't.

1.  Coming Soon

My longtime least favorite Queen song, I would argue the very first moment in their career where they just weren't terribly interesting, which is about the least Queen-like thing to be.  I don't mind the tune, and I have to admit it's grown on me with time and familiarity.  However, sitting next to any other Queen tune, this just feels like three minutes of fluff, filler, flotsam.  It's not bad.  It's just not much of anything.

Excellent Analysis as ever EP 👍😎

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Derek19 said:

I don't think I've tried to say, and list an actual Rush's bottom ten songs before.  Here they are, and might change, and or switch positions.

Neurotica

Hand Over Fist

Tai Shan

I Think I'm Going Bald

Dog Years

In the Mood

Madrigal

Rivendell

the Twilight Zone

Red Lenses

I agree with 8/10 of your selections 

Derek 👍🙂

( I like both Dog Years & Red Lenses and would list in my bottom 10 instead 

Take a Friend & Before and After from the non-Neil debut ) 

• Like 1

Eight Days A Week

Blue Jay Way

Your Mother Should Know

When I Get Home

Rocky Raccoon

If You’ve Got Trouble

Maxwell’s Silver Hammer

Birthday

Run For Your Life

What’s The New Mary Jane

Beatles songs I like but are way overplayed and I never really listen to them much anymore:

Let It Be

Hey Jude

Come Together

All You Need Is Love

Day Tripper

On 1/2/2023 at 2:34 AM, IbanezJem said:

There`s no DLR on this list, surprising nobody. No Gary Cherone either... which is a fair summation of just how sad these songs make me.

Up For Breakfast

It`s About Time

Why Can't This Be Love

Spanked

In `n` Out

Big Fat Money

Amsterdam

Take Me Back (Deja Vu)

Learning To See

Inside

Agree for the most part but apart from the dodgy Sammy lyrics, In 'n' out has a cool riff to my mind. Similar lyrically ball park to Finish what you started (et al by him!)

23 hours ago, goose said:

Roth VH

1. I'll Wait

2. Women In Love

3-10. (repeat)

Always loved I'll Wait as a more serious take on Eddie's synth forays as a tonic against the simplicity of the ubiquitous Jump.

And I'm with Rick on Women in Love too especially paired with Beautiful Girls as a 1-2 finisher. 

I know, if we all agreed, life would be boring. 

• Like 1

On 1/2/2023 at 5:14 PM, bluefox4000 said:

I'll Try Queen

1. Sweet Lady

2. White Boy

3. Jesus

4. Mustapha

7.  Kashoggi's Ship

8. Body Language

9.  Fun It.

Mick

See, I've always had a soft spot for Mustapha and Jazz overall. I quite like the Eastern (?) vibe Freddie went for or whatever message he was trying to portray. (Anyone know the back story - tongue-in-cheek, did he believe, was it for his family etc?). But I can imagine that song could sour the listening experience of Jazz for some people.

• Like 1