Brad Delp vs. Steve Perry?

Texas King

Brad Delp vs. Steve Perry?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Brad Delp vs. Steve Perry?

This is really tough! I’d say they’re neck and neck for me. Both are really unbelievably great.

I guess I’ll vote for Delp seeing as he isn’t as well recognized as Perry, by a smidge of course.

I used to really like Steve Perry, but every time I heard or read an interview with him, he would invariably mention Sam Cooke, whom I was not familiar with, as he died before I was born and I didn't listen to oldies. Eventually I heard some Sam Cooke songs, and ever since then when I hear Steve Perry all I can hear is a guy doing a Sam Cooke impression.

Long story short, Brad Delp.

• Like 2

I used to really like Steve Perry, but every time I heard or read an interview with him, he would invariably mention Sam Cooke, whom I was not familiar with, as he died before I was born and I didn't listen to oldies. Eventually I heard some Sam Cooke songs, and ever since then when I hear Steve Perry all I can hear is a guy doing a Sam Cooke impression.

I never considered that.

I’m putting this here for other TRFers who haven’t either:

http://youtu.be/5EkFLN9j2vE

It still doesn’t change my opinion that I think Perry is/was (unsure how he sounds today) a great vocalist though.

So what? Every rock singer is mimicking blues singers. Steve Perry acknowledges an influence so it lessens his talent?

So what? Every rock singer is mimicking blues singers. Steve Perry acknowledges an influence so it lessens his talent?

If originality matters.

Nope. Just makes it harder for me to listen to, personally.

This

I never heard a sam Cooke IMPRESSION out of Perry. traces yes. but sam is an influence. if an influence is a deal breaker in a singer. i've got very bad news for ya, lol

Mick

• Like 2