SOCN

Running Rebel

What is this SOCN thing?? Am I missing something??

SOCN is an abbreviation for "The Sense O'Clock News", a sub-forum listed on the home page between "Food And Wine Aplenty" and "Reverse Polarity". SOCN is used for political discussion, usually but not exclusively pertaining to US politics.

You can only gain access to it by Private Messaging one of the Moderators. I think the standing rule when I joined was 100 posts and over the age of 18?

OK thanks ..... does not sound like my scene at all lol!
  • Like 4

What is this SOCN thing?? Am I missing something??

SOCN is an abbreviation for "The Sense O'Clock News", a sub-forum listed on the home page between "Food And Wine Aplenty" and "Reverse Polarity". SOCN is used for political discussion, usually but not exclusively pertaining to US politics.

You can only gain access to it by Private Messaging one of the Moderators. I think the standing rule when I joined was 100 posts and over the age of 18?

OK thanks ..... does not sound like my scene at all lol!

smart man

• Like 2

SOCN is not a productive place to get your information. SOCN is not a productive place to analyze information.

Not if you're looking for an ultra-liberal echo chamber, or an ultra-conservative one, for that matter. What I like about SOCN is that, as you note, the regulars are smart people, and they hold everyone to a standard of backing up opinions with pretty solid data. For example, I appreciate the resident lawyers that bring a strong understanding of the legal side of things, which allows for the discussion of issues - like the one you cited - on a deeper level than "Should gays have equal rights?". SOCN is not Facebook. Thankfully.
  • Like 4

SOCN is not a productive place to get your information. SOCN is not a productive place to analyze information.

Not if you're looking for an ultra-liberal echo chamber, or an ultra-conservative one, for that matter. What I like about SOCN is that, as you note, the regulars are smart people, and they hold everyone to a standard of backing up opinions with pretty solid data. For example, I appreciate the resident lawyers that bring a strong understanding of the legal side of things, which allows for the discussion of issues - like the one you cited - on a deeper level than "Should gays have equal rights?". SOCN is not Facebook. Thankfully.

I certainly hope you're not saying that topics like "is something OK as long as the ends justify the means" or "what is the role of each of the three branches of American government, should they be allowed to step outside them, and if so, for what purpose" are subjects allowed to be discussed in polite society, are you?

• Like 1

Here's a simple way to explain the sub-forum:

If you want to go in there and post "Trump stinks as president," you won't get attacked. People just won't respond to you, particularly if after you're asked why you think so, you tell them you're not there to be grilled. If you want to go in there and post you think Trump stinks as president because of his spending policies, and you post a link from a reputable source for your position, I think you'll find some engaging discussion (if that's your thing). Supporting your opinion by posting articles from MSNBC or Fox News is probably not going to earn you much credibility though, word to the wise. And while most of the regulars have a good sense of humor (as LABT said), and will laugh at a good meme, if your opinion is based on memes you saw on Facebook (to borrow from goose), I'd recommend you verify them as factual before relying on them as support.

• Like 3

...if your opinion is based on memes you saw on Facebook (to borrow from goose), I'd recommend you verify them as factual before relying on them as support.

That's why I always cross-reference with TikTok.
  • Like 5

If you want to go in there and post "Trump stinks as president," you won't get attacked. People just won't respond to you, particularly if after you're asked why you think so, you tell them you're not there to be grilled. If you want to go in there and post you think Trump stinks as president because of his spending policies, and you post a link from a reputable source for your position, I think you'll find some engaging discussion (if that's your thing). Supporting your opinion by posting articles from MSNBC or Fox News is probably not going to earn you much credibility though, word to the wise. And while most of the regulars have a good sense of humor (as LABT said), and will laugh at a good meme, if your opinion is based on memes you saw on Facebook (to borrow from goose), I'd recommend you verify them as factual before relying on them as support.

That's an accurate description. There isn't a politics forum on the planet that is without conflict, so anyone looking for a political utopia with nothing but butterflies and unicorns and hash-laced brownies with Enya playing on the radio is not going to find it anywhere, SOCN included. However, if you're reasonable and actually want to discuss things, you'll do fine in there. Guess what kind of people don't do so well...

• Like 4

That's an accurate description. There isn't a politics forum on the planet that is without conflict, so anyone looking for a political utopia with nothing but butterflies and unicorns and hash-laced brownies with Enya playing on the radio is not going to find it anywhere, SOCN included.

I quit in that case!

• Like 3

That's an accurate description. There isn't a politics forum on the planet that is without conflict, so anyone looking for a political utopia with nothing but butterflies and unicorns and hash-laced brownies with Enya playing on the radio is not going to find it anywhere, SOCN included.

I quit in that case!

Sail away, sail away, sail away...

• Like 1

For the life of me, I'll never understand how people can say something along the lines of, "I've never posted in SOCN, but all the people who post in there are . . . " It's a politics sub-forum. If you're not into politics, there's no reason for you to post in there. I have no interest in Porcupine Tree or Government Mule. You won't find me posting in threads dedicated to them. It's pretty simple. But if you've never been in there, how do you know it's all a bunch of . . . ?

I just knew there was something fundamentally wrong with you but I couldn't put my finger on it until now. :P

Its worse than you thought. Gabriel-era Genesis? Unlistenable.

HAHAHAHA!!!

RICK! I love you too man! I love Genesis until Hackett left.

This could be THREAD OF THE YEAR!!!

Sorry JARG!!!

EPIC!

Never change Earl. You are a riot. :)

And there are exceptions to all of those, naturally.

I get a chuckle from the "I hate SOCN. I've never been there, but I still hate it" type of comments.

I get a chuckle that someone who lists cycling as an interest does not post in the cycling thread.............

• Like 1

I get a chuckle from the "I hate SOCN. I've never been there, but I still hate it" type of comments.

I get a chuckle that someone who lists cycling as an interest does not post in the cycling thread.............

I get a chuckle that you know this.

• Like 1

Can I join SOCN? Sounds fun. :drool:

The only requirements are:

100 posts

Hate the synth era

Loathe Snakes and Arrows

• Like 2

Can I join SOCN? Sounds fun. :drool:

The only requirements are:

100 posts

Hate the synth era

Loathe Snakes and Arrows

well then I'm not joining it LOL :cool:
  • Like 2

:LOL: