Chester Bennington (linkin park) commits suicide

Rushman14

Seriously though. Forget about the art of all of these bands where the lead singer kills him or herself.

What is it?

Is it the pressure of being the "leader" of the band?

I honestly don't understand this phenomena.

It truly is in my mind.

Cobain?

Cornell?

Staley?

It can't be the weather?

Weiland?

Bennington?

Hutchence? INXS

Nick Drake?

Ian Curtis?

Donny Hathaway?

Wendy O Williams?

Brad Delp?

Keith Emerson?

I just don't get it that's all. I want to understand.

I'll take a stab at this, and I'll try not to generalize... :)

Musicians/artists, whether they are frontpeople are not, are usually on the more sensitive end of the spectrum. They often tend to feel things more deeply.

Who knows if those tendencies drive them to create, or how much of a relation there really is between sensitive souls and artistic endeavors; after all, there's lots of sensitive souls that DON'T play an instrument.

Artists are often more in tune with their feelings and emotions, and it often drives their ability/need to express/create.

I think the "lead singer" thing is somewhat coincidental.

Everyone's got shit they have to deal with in their lives.

And I too have noticed that more of my friends/associates who make music and make art have some kind of mental thing going on - anxiety, depression, sometimes both. On a more personal note, I'm actully quite worried about the person who effectively ended our band last week. He's not been right for a while, and is going through some heavy stuff these days.

But it's true... some kinds of abuse are harder to get over than others, and sometimes you can throw all the therapy/pills/support behind it and it still doesn't get better. Sucks, and it's tragic, but it happens.

Edited by Mystic Slipperman
  • Like 2

Of the people that are slamming my post, how many of you are actually parents?

How many of you actually knew that my son has tried to play the suicide threat multiple times? None of you, because I never mentioned it. But of course I don't know what I'm talking about. He's doing well now, been to counseling, but I keep tabs on his life to make sure his head is in a good space. His mom (my ex) died a couple of years ago from opiate overdose, but we move on. Yes, I consider her selfish as well. She was a piss poor excuse for a parent. I raised him because she was constantly in her drug funk.

Putting your needs above your kids is selfish. If you don't realize that very early on as a parent, you shouldn't be one. With Barrington and Cornell, they just collectively f***ed up 9 kids lives. I would speculate that Cornell's kids are now going through this grieving bullshit twice now since Carrington and Cornell were close friends.

I consider this the same as child abandonment. And there's no f***ing excuse for that.

So you see, people actually have deeper life experiences that they don't always mention in their posts.

How am I supposed to believe that everything that comes out of your mouth isn't bullshit? Your post about Chester was disgusting and you know it. Your post makes you look like a heartless, souless, twisted human being and if you are anything like this IRL, then there is no question as to why your son was suicidal.

Yeah, I fucking said that.

You're just as bad as Onision.

And if everybody here thinks I'm an asshole for saying this, Suicide is an extremely touchy subject for me, so when I see someone callously calling a noble warrior who lost the will to fight (yeah, remember that song?) a "pussy" and a "coward", I'm sorry but in the words of Alice Cooper,

"No more Mr. Nice guy, No more Mr. Clean."

It's a touchy subject for you so that means it's ok to go where you did?!

I don't even agree with HemiBeers' original post (as seen in my original post) but that doesn't mean I or anyone else should be saying what you just did. That's f***ed up. And what's worse is that you seem proud that you said it.

Yeah, I acknowledge that I was mean to HemiBeers. It's just....that kind of ignorant shit really pisses me off...Saying that kind of shit about suicidal people and people who have ended their own lives is just horrible.

So your retribution is to tell him that it was HIS fault for his son's suicidal ideation?!

And your justification for saying all that is that it's a touchy subject for you?!

He called someone who killed themselves "cowardly" and "selfish" for christ's sake! Do you honestly think that if he truly believes that, it would make someone close to him that is going through some kind of horrible pain and suffering not feel worse?

I already stated that i disagreed with the "selfish" opinion. But there's no reason for you to dig where you did other than that you got angry. Anger is the reason you went there. It's the only reason.

Besides, you don't know the reasons for what goes on his family. I don't even feel comfortable talking about it when he's not here. Show some class and drop this angle of your disagreement. There's ZERO reason to mention his kid. ZERO.

I'm done.

Thanks JB. It was a scorched earth response, so I don't consider those valid.

In situations like this, we tend to over-emphasize the deceased and don't entirely consider the survivors. That's what I was trying to emphasize with my posts.

When someone commits suicide, what's done is done, so why should we waste our feelings and sympathies on them. It's the survivors that have to deal with the baggage.

• Like 3

Seriously though. Forget about the art of all of these bands where the lead singer kills him or herself.

What is it?

It truly is in my mind.

Cobain?

Cornell?

Staley?

It can't be the weather?

Weiland?

Bennington?

Hutchence? INXS

Nick Drake?

Ian Curtis?

Donny Hathaway?

Wendy O Williams?

Brad Delp?

Keith Emerson?

Your problem is you think music is the whole point.

I don't have a problem with any of it.

What is it?

It truly is in my mind.

Cobain?

Cornell?

Staley?

It can't be the weather?

Weiland?

Bennington?

Hutchence? INXS

Nick Drake?

Ian Curtis?

Donny Hathaway?

Wendy O Williams?

Brad Delp?

Keith Emerson?

Shinoda is the leader and spokesperson for LP, Cantrell was the leader of AiC, Deleo brothers were leaders of STP so it's not that. As Segue said there's more to it. What you left out is the thousands of frontmen/women that don't do this.

I get it.

People just get tired of struggling the older they get.

Hope he found peace finally.

Leaving behind 6 children is the act of a coward. RIP

I have no sympathy for someone to do this while having children on the earth. He is a disgrace to the living ones who love him still.

His band sucks too. One of the worst ever.

So tired of this LSD going on. Lead Singer Disease. Really? What's wrong with all of these "frontmen" who take their own lives?

Very sad and very selfish.

not cool earl. not cool.

Mick

"Be cool or be cast out!" RIGHT?

He's a coward.

6 children without their dad.

And I'm the bad guy?

Of course I am.

there is no "bad guy" in this. a man was in pain. probably thought was doing his kids a favor. didn't get the help required. or tried to and failed. Or his family didn't take his illness seriously.

Any number of these things. but to say he's a coward is cruel and un-educated.

i like you earl but......damn.

Mick

No I didn't mean to sound so harsh or hard. I just have a hard time when someone takes their own life knowing they have their own offspring on the planet to take care of.

Drugs, alcohol, depression is a reality to many humans, but there is help for that and he chose the cowardly way out. That's all.

This is not about his music. This is about a man under a lot of pressure. It's sad, but what about his six kids????

No one is perfect. Why couldn't he seek help?

I like you too Mick, sorry if I offended you.

I'm a family first guy.

It pains me to see a successful guy take himself out like this! That's all.

I'm very educated about this. We can pm each other about it. That's all I will say.

I'm sad for his kids and his loved ones. They will suffer the most.

No-one saw the Chris Cornell tragedy either. Not even his wife. Crazy world.

it's ok Earl. this is just a sore subject for me.....cause i've been through this.

and the fact that no one saw the Cornell thing says a little of my point. in that families could be a little more aware of loved ones pain.

my point too is that throwing blame arount will not do. and we never know what's inside one's head.

I was able to come back from the edge. Sad fact is some can't family or no.

and we need......Absolutly NEED......to do better foe those still here and in pain.

Mick

I know Mick. I hit rock bottom once in my life too. It was in 2014. Everything hit me like a perfect storm and my brain crashed. I've been there too. Trust me. I was able to come back too from the edge. I am stronger and better off for it. Sadly some can't rebound.

• Like 4

What is it?

It truly is in my mind.

Cobain?

Cornell?

Staley?

It can't be the weather?

Weiland?

Bennington?

Hutchence? INXS

Nick Drake?

Ian Curtis?

Donny Hathaway?

Wendy O Williams?

Brad Delp?

Keith Emerson?

Well, I do think music has a play in this. Artists tend to be wired differently than your average every day Joe. That's what makes them so special. The singer from killswitch engage talks about it.

"Mental illness is rampant in the artistic community"

http://www.blabbermo...y-of-his-death/

Agreed. Many musicians suffer from mental disorders. Most humans do I believe. Even STING is bi-polar.

Of the people that are slamming my post, how many of you are actually parents?

How many of you actually knew that my son has tried to play the suicide threat multiple times? None of you, because I never mentioned it. But of course I don't know what I'm talking about. He's doing well now, been to counseling, but I keep tabs on his life to make sure his head is in a good space. His mom (my ex) died a couple of years ago from opiate overdose, but we move on. Yes, I consider her selfish as well. She was a piss poor excuse for a parent. I raised him because she was constantly in her drug funk.

Putting your needs above your kids is selfish. If you don't realize that very early on as a parent, you shouldn't be one. With Barrington and Cornell, they just collectively f***ed up 9 kids lives. I would speculate that Cornell's kids are now going through this grieving bullshit twice now since Carrington and Cornell were close friends.

I consider this the same as child abandonment. And there's no f***ing excuse for that.

So you see, people actually have deeper life experiences that they don't always mention in their posts.

How am I supposed to believe that everything that comes out of your mouth isn't bullshit? Your post about Chester was disgusting and you know it. Your post makes you look like a heartless, souless, twisted human being and if you are anything like this IRL, then there is no question as to why your son was suicidal.

Yeah, I fucking said that.

You're just as bad as Onision.

And if everybody here thinks I'm an asshole for saying this, Suicide is an extremely touchy subject for me, so when I see someone callously calling a noble warrior who lost the will to fight (yeah, remember that song?) a "pussy" and a "coward", I'm sorry but in the words of Alice Cooper,

"No more Mr. Nice guy, No more Mr. Clean."

You're like a character in a satirical skit.

But you're real.

• Like 1

Is a history of drug use a common thread here?

I know a PA who works in the Psychiatric ward of a hospital and according to her, 9 out of every 10 people in there have drug and alcohol abuse as a sole driver of their mental health issues.

Musicians, especially famous ones, generally have lots of money and lots of down time. On top of that, they are constantly chasing that high they get from performing in front of large audiences full of people who worship them.

My guess is that they are not more or less depressed than a normal person but they have extenuating circumstances that allow it to fester more easily. And face it, lots of people with mental illness and substance abuse problems commit suicide. It's just not big news like it is when a famous person does it.

What is it?

It truly is in my mind.

Cobain?

Cornell?

Staley?

It can't be the weather?

Weiland?

Bennington?

Hutchence? INXS

Nick Drake?

Ian Curtis?

Donny Hathaway?

Wendy O Williams?

Brad Delp?

Keith Emerson?

Well, I do think music has a play in this. Artists tend to be wired differently than your average every day Joe. That's what makes them so special. The singer from killswitch engage talks about it.

Agreed. Many musicians suffer from mental disorders. Most humans do I believe. Even STING is bi-polar.

Look at our beloved Mr. Peart. One of the most influential rock drummers ever. And a little bit of a weird, introverted dude. Coincidence? Nope.

• Like 1

I hope this does not become the 2017 trend. RIP CB.

He leaves six children. I am sad for them.

• Like 2

I listened to Linkin Park, Soundgarden, and Audiosoave today. Then became very upset with the whole situation and threw on some Foo Fighters and Metallica to stop me from becoming totally depressed over it.

What has happened with both Cornell and Bennington to me is just haunting. After their passings, I went back and listened to some of their music that I hadn't listened to before. In that music, though years separated from their deaths, I noticed what seemed very obvious allusions to their own suicides and people's reactions to them. The song Nobody's Listening from Meteora, I just cannot help but connect it with Bennington's death and the (hopefully unrelated) critical and popular backlash against LP's last album. The song Cochise from Audioslave's debut, it seems to me to speak to the idea of the artist's music being able to help so many other people and those people's praise and near-worship of the artist for supposedly saving them. It seems to say to stop the worship, to not look upon the artist as some savior or role model... or martyr...

Has anyone else had experiences like this? I've found it terribly disappointing to hear the signs of someone who needs help in their art after it's too late. That's just the experience I've had. :(

• Like 1

You're right, JB. My mother has an incurable mental illness, my sister and I noticed there was something wrong with her very early on, and it's quite difficult to judge someone as if they were fully in charge of their decisions. She's still alive, in her late 60's, still married to my father, and we consider her a true survivor. There were times when we feared for her life, but she carried on. Religion helped her a lot, and although I consider myself an atheist, I can surely see the positive effect it has in certain individuals. I don't think judging a suicidal is fair, nor is the best way to deal with this situation.

My mother has manic depressive psychosis by the way, and she's been medicated for most of her life. She was still able to travel a lot, be productive for most of her life, work and raise two kids, although her perception of reality has grown more and more twisted. But I'm glad she's still with us!!!

I appreciate the honesty, Rod. There's a lot of mental illness that you describe in the females of my family. Grandmother, mother, sisters. Combine that with the addictive/compulsive behaviors of my father and it makes things very tricky to live with, especially as a child.

I've worked to find positive addictions like exercise and posting LOL emojis on TRF.

:LOL:

• Like 2

i understand why some people get tired of fighting and just want the pain to stop. but at the same time i do think that suicide is a selfish choice. it's an absolutely horrible way to lose someone you love, you never stop feeling personally bad about it even when you know with your mind that it isn't your fault and you couldn't have stopped them.

for a person in pain to decide they want to relieve their pain more than they want to spare their loved ones is a valid enough choice, who am i to say it isn't, but i have way more respect for people who don't give up.

suicide is not okay.

• Like 1

Apparently I wasn't the only one who called Chester a "coward" for his selfish act. Brian "Head" Welch, the guitarist from KORN also called Chester a coward on his Facebook page. Is he wrong too?

Tell me you don't really think there is a way to be right or wrong here.

Apparently I wasn't the only one who called Chester a "coward" for his selfish act. Brian "Head" Welch, the guitarist from KORN also called Chester a coward on his Facebook page. Is he wrong too?

Some guy in a band said something so we should all agree with him? I don't think I follow.

• Like 1

I'm not ok with either Cornell's or Chester's ending, but it seems that Cornell's was a build-up of frustration mixed with the effects from his meds. Chester's was not only a copycat of Chris', but he did it on Chris' birthday which is a dick move in my book. Like he wants to ride Chris's coattails.
  • Like 1

I'm not ok with either Cornell's or Chester's ending, but it seems that Cornell's was a build-up of frustration mixed with the effects from his meds. Chester's was not only a copycat of Chris', but he did it on Chris' birthday which is a dick move in my book. Like he wants to ride Chris's coattails.

Interesting take. Well stated.

• Like 1

You're right, JB. My mother has an incurable mental illness, my sister and I noticed there was something wrong with her very early on, and it's quite difficult to judge someone as if they were fully in charge of their decisions. She's still alive, in her late 60's, still married to my father, and we consider her a true survivor. There were times when we feared for her life, but she carried on. Religion helped her a lot, and although I consider myself an atheist, I can surely see the positive effect it has in certain individuals. I don't think judging a suicidal is fair, nor is the best way to deal with this situation.

My mother has manic depressive psychosis by the way, and she's been medicated for most of her life. She was still able to travel a lot, be productive for most of her life, work and raise two kids, although her perception of reality has grown more and more twisted. But I'm glad she's still with us!!!

I appreciate the honesty, Rod. There's a lot of mental illness that you describe in the females of my family. Grandmother, mother, sisters. Combine that with the addictive/compulsive behaviors of my father and it makes things very tricky to live with, especially as a child.

I've worked to find positive addictions like exercise and posting LOL emojis on TRF.

:LOL:

That's the key, man!!! I have a friend who teaches neurolinguistics, and it's all about finding the positive side of a tormenting thought or feeling. I haven't taken the course, but he teaches you, for example, to use anxiety to drive you to do things, to use your insecurities to improve yourself, to use depressive thoughts to re-evaluate your role in the lives of others and vice versa. It's hard to turn things around and find balance when you're in the eye of the tornado. Even harder in a business like music, where you're either met with intense adoration or relentless criticism.

• Like 4

Whether we feel sympathetic and heartbroken or frustrated and angry, I think it is safe to say that none of us feel happy

While I don't think "coward" is the right choice of words, I do think that those who feel that way are just as upset at the loss of life ...

Knowing what I know about HemiBeers and Earl, I would bet that both would be the first ones to try to help someone, and both would do it with as much sincerity and emotion as any of those who have disagreed here - just in their own way ..

I think the anger here is coming from the same place as the heartbroken sympathy ... No one here wants another human being to do this

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 5

Whether we feel sympathetic and heartbroken or frustrated and angry, I think it is safe to say that none of us feel happy

While I don't think "coward" is the right choice of words, I do think that those who feel that way are just as upset at the loss of life ...

Knowing what I know about HemiBeers and Earl, I would bet that both would be the first ones to try to help someone, and both would do it with as much sincerity and emotion as any of those who have disagreed here - just in their own way ..

I think the anger here is coming from the same place as the heartbroken sympathy ... No one here wants another human being to do this

Absolutely.

• Like 2

What is it?

It truly is in my mind.

Cobain?

Cornell?

Staley?

It can't be the weather?

Weiland?

Bennington?

Hutchence? INXS

Nick Drake?

Ian Curtis?

Donny Hathaway?

Wendy O Williams?

Brad Delp?

Keith Emerson?

Look at our beloved Mr. Peart. One of the most influential rock drummers ever. And a little bit of a weird, introverted dude. Coincidence? Nope.

Huh? Neil Peart now has a mental disorder?