Chester Bennington (linkin park) commits suicide

Rushman14

He was friends with Chris Cornell and sang at his funeral.

Today is what would have been Chris' 53rd birthday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfgvqXbNs94

Rest in Peace Chester and Chris :rose:

Oh, man...

"in the end it doesn't really matter"

unless you have 6 kids :(

I've lost patience and empathy with people like Chris and Chester who choose to take their lives despite having all the means and family support to get through their struggles. How many kids do you need to have to convince you not to kill yourself? There's nothing romantic or poetic about the 'rockstar suicide'...it's just selfish self-delusional bullshit. Your kids don't care about your rockstar status...they'd be fine if you just quit and became couch potato dad. Instead, at some point during their grieving /recovery process, they are probably going to think of you as a selfish dick.

Chester, this was totally a copycat suicide of Chris's and you had two months to get help. That's f***ing lame to leave your 6 kids behind like this.

It's one thing to do the final deed if your physical health is seriously declining or you don't have the support or means to help you. But I'm not finding sympathy when there's so many thousands of people that are worse off, but still fight the fight every day.

Not the most politically correct post but so be it.

Fantastic post. Spoken like a person who's never experienced/known someone who's experienced harsh clinical depression.

• Like 4

People just get tired of struggling the older they get.

Hope he found peace finally.

Leaving behind 6 children is the act of a coward. RIP

I have no sympathy for someone to do this while having children on the earth. He is a disgrace to the living ones who love him still.

His band sucks too. One of the worst ever.

So tired of this LSD going on. Lead Singer Disease. Really? What's wrong with all of these "frontmen" who take their own lives?

Very sad and very selfish.

not cool earl. not cool.

Mick

• Like 1

I have no sympathy for someone to do this while having children on the earth. He is a disgrace to the living ones who love him still.

So tired of this LSD going on. Lead Singer Disease. Really? What's wrong with all of these "frontmen" who take their own lives?

not cool earl. not cool.

Mick

"Be cool or be cast out!" RIGHT?

He's a coward.

6 children without their dad.

And I'm the bad guy?

Of course I am.

Too many hands on my time

Too many feelings

Too many things on my mind...

When I leave I don't know

What I'm hoping to find and

When I leave I don't know

What I'm leaving behind...

:rose:

• Like 2

It's always so painful to hear about a musician committing suicide, whether you're a fan or not.
  • Like 1

not cool earl. not cool.

Mick

He's a coward.

And I'm the bad guy?

Of course I am.

there is no "bad guy" in this. a man was in pain. probably thought was doing his kids a favor. didn't get the help required. or tried to and failed. Or his family didn't take his illness seriously.

Any number of these things. but to say he's a coward is cruel and un-educated.

i like you earl but......damn.

Mick

• Like 5

not cool earl. not cool.

Mick

He's a coward.

And I'm the bad guy?

Of course I am.

there is no "bad guy" in this. a man was in pain. probably thought was doing his kids a favor. didn't get the help required. or tried to and failed. Or his family didn't take his illness seriously.

Mick

No I didn't mean to sound so harsh or hard. I just have a hard time when someone takes their own life knowing they have their own offspring on the planet to take care of.

Drugs, alcohol, depression is a reality to many humans, but there is help for that and he chose the cowardly way out. That's all.

This is not about his music. This is about a man under a lot of pressure. It's sad, but what about his six kids????

No one is perfect. Why couldn't he seek help?

I like you too Mick, sorry if I offended you.

I'm a family first guy.

It pains me to see a successful guy take himself out like this! That's all.

I'm very educated about this. We can pm each other about it. That's all I will say.

I'm sad for his kids and his loved ones. They will suffer the most.

No-one saw the Chris Cornell tragedy either. Not even his wife. Crazy world.

• Like 1

Very salient and rational thinking. Thing is, its highly likely Chester was not thinking like this. Who knows his reasoning at this juncture. Its likely to of been the best decision in his mind, best for his kids and all involved. All the trappings of fame, wealth and fortune are certainly not going to rid demons for some, its an answer he unfortunately didn't seek or find.

• Like 1

Very salient and rational thinking. Thing is, its highly likely Chester was not thinking like this. Who knows his reasoning at this juncture. Its likely to of been the best decision in his mind, best for his kids and all involved. All the trappings of fame, wealth and fortune are certainly not going to rid demons for some, its an answer he unfortunately didn't seek or find.

Excellent post. I get it.

Seriously though. Forget about the art of all of these bands where the lead singer kills him or herself.

What is it?

Is it the pressure of being the "leader" of the band?

I honestly don't understand this phenomena.

It truly is in my mind.

Cobain?

Cornell?

Staley?

It can't be the weather?

Weiland?

Bennington?

Hutchence? INXS

Nick Drake?

Ian Curtis?

Donny Hathaway?

Wendy O Williams?

Brad Delp?

Keith Emerson?

I just don't get it that's all. I want to understand.

Edited by RUSHHEAD666

Seriously though. Forget about the art of all of these bands where the lead singer kills him or herself.

What is it?

It truly is in my mind.

Cobain?

Cornell?

Staley?

It can't be the weather?

Weiland?

Bennington?

Hutchence? INXS

Nick Drake?

Ian Curtis?

Donny Hathaway?

Wendy O Williams?

Brad Delp?

Keith Emerson?

Your problem is you think music is the whole point.

• Like 1

What is it?

It truly is in my mind.

Cobain?

Cornell?

Staley?

It can't be the weather?

Weiland?

Bennington?

Hutchence? INXS

Nick Drake?

Ian Curtis?

Donny Hathaway?

Wendy O Williams?

Brad Delp?

Keith Emerson?

Shinoda is the leader and spokesperson for LP, Cantrell was the leader of AiC, Deleo brothers were leaders of STP so it's not that. As Segue said there's more to it. What you left out is the thousands of frontmen/women that don't do this.

He wasn't in full control of his mental faculties why is that so hard for everyone to understand?

Do you think a stable mind makes a decision like that? Is he to be punished in death for having punished himself out of life?

I hear you.

IMHO, many don't believe in mental health. By that, I mean many don't think of mental illnesses as the illnesses that they truly are. We'd never tell someone who has a cold, headache, or any other physical ailment to just "get over it". But those suffering from mental illnesses all too often hear such comments.

I guess I can see where some are coming from with the "It's selfish" comment...I just don't think it's that simple. On the surface it might look that way but suicide is anything but simple.

• Like 3

You're right, JB. My mother has an incurable mental illness, my sister and I noticed there was something wrong with her very early on, and it's quite difficult to judge someone as if they were fully in charge of their decisions. She's still alive, in her late 60's, still married to my father, and we consider her a true survivor. There were times when we feared for her life, but she carried on. Religion helped her a lot, and although I consider myself an atheist, I can surely see the positive effect it has in certain individuals. I don't think judging a suicidal is fair, nor is the best way to deal with this situation.

My mother has manic depressive psychosis by the way, and she's been medicated for most of her life. She was still able to travel a lot, be productive for most of her life, work and raise two kids, although her perception of reality has grown more and more twisted. But I'm glad she's still with us!!!

• Like 2

Of the people that are slamming my post, how many of you are actually parents?

How many of you actually knew that my son has tried to play the suicide threat multiple times? None of you, because I never mentioned it. But of course I don't know what I'm talking about. He's doing well now, been to counseling, but I keep tabs on his life to make sure his head is in a good space. His mom (my ex) died a couple of years ago from opiate overdose, but we move on. Yes, I consider her selfish as well. She was a piss poor excuse for a parent. I raised him because she was constantly in her drug funk.

Putting your needs above your kids is selfish. If you don't realize that very early on as a parent, you shouldn't be one. With Barrington and Cornell, they just collectively f***ed up 9 kids lives. I would speculate that Cornell's kids are now going through this grieving bullshit twice now since Carrington and Cornell were close friends.

I consider this the same as child abandonment. And there's no f***ing excuse for that.

So you see, people actually have deeper life experiences that they don't always mention in their posts.

What is it?

It truly is in my mind.

Cobain?

Cornell?

Staley?

It can't be the weather?

Weiland?

Bennington?

Hutchence? INXS

Nick Drake?

Ian Curtis?

Donny Hathaway?

Wendy O Williams?

Brad Delp?

Keith Emerson?

Your problem is you think music is the whole point.

Well, I do think music has a play in this. Artists tend to be wired differently than your average every day Joe. That's what makes them so special. The singer from killswitch engage talks about it.

"Mental illness is rampant in the artistic community"

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/killswitch-engage-singer-slams-people-who-judge-chester-benningtons-life-or-music-on-day-of-his-death/

Edited by Xanadoood
  • Like 3

How many of you actually knew that my son has tried to play the suicide threat multiple times? None of you, because I never mentioned it. But of course I don't know what I'm talking about. He's doing well now, been to counseling, but I keep tabs on his life to make sure his head is in a good space. His mom (my ex) died a couple of years ago from opiate overdose, but we move on. Yes, I consider her selfish as well. She was a piss poor excuse for a parent. I raised him because she was constantly in her drug funk.

Putting your needs above your kids is selfish. If you don't realize that very early on as a parent, you shouldn't be one. With Barrington and Cornell, they just collectively f***ed up 9 kids lives. I would speculate that Cornell's kids are now going through this grieving bullshit twice now since Carrington and Cornell were close friends.

I consider this the same as child abandonment. And there's no f***ing excuse for that.

So you see, people actually have deeper life experiences that they don't always mention in their posts.

How am I supposed to believe that everything that comes out of your mouth isn't bullshit? Your post about Chester was disgusting and you know it. Your post makes you look like a heartless, souless, twisted human being and if you are anything like this IRL, then there is no question as to why your son was suicidal.

Yeah, I fucking said that.

You're just as bad as Onision.

And if everybody here thinks I'm an asshole for saying this, Suicide is an extremely touchy subject for me, so when I see someone callously calling a noble warrior who lost the will to fight (yeah, remember that song?) a "pussy" and a "coward", I'm sorry but in the words of Alice Cooper,

"No more Mr. Nice guy, No more Mr. Clean."

Edited by fraroc
  • Like 1

How am I supposed to believe that everything that comes out of your mouth isn't bullshit? Your post about Chester was disgusting and you know it. Your post makes you look like a heartless, souless, twisted human being and if you are anything like this IRL, then there is no question as to why your son was suicidal.

And if everybody here thinks I'm an asshole for saying this, Suicide is an extremely touchy subject for me, so when I see someone callously calling a noble warrior who lost the will to fight (yeah, remember that song?) a "pussy" and a "coward", I'm sorry but in the words of Alice Cooper,

It's a touchy subject for you so that means it's ok to go where you did?!

I don't even agree with HemiBeers' original post (as seen in my original post) but that doesn't mean I or anyone else should be saying what you just did. That's f***ed up. And what's worse is that you seem proud that you said it.

• Like 1

I was having a really bad panic attack last night and was not in a right frame of mind.

X

• Like 1

I don't even agree with HemiBeers' original post (as seen in my original post) but that doesn't mean I or anyone else should be saying what you just did. That's f***ed up. And what's worse is that you seem proud that you said it.

Yeah, I acknowledge that I was mean to HemiBeers. It's just....that kind of ignorant shit really pisses me off...Saying that kind of shit about suicidal people and people who have ended their own lives is just horrible.

Yeah, I acknowledge that I was mean to HemiBeers. It's just....that kind of ignorant shit really pisses me off...Saying that kind of shit about suicidal people and people who have ended their own lives is just horrible.

So your retribution is to tell him that it was HIS fault for his son's suicidal ideation?!

And your justification for saying all that is that it's a touchy subject for you?!

• Like 1

So your retribution is to tell him that it was HIS fault for his son's suicidal ideation?!

And your justification for saying all that is that it's a touchy subject for you?!

He called someone who killed themselves "cowardly" and "selfish" for christ's sake! Do you honestly think that if he truly believes that, it would make someone close to him that is going through some kind of horrible pain and suffering not feel worse?

not cool earl. not cool.

Mick

He's a coward.

And I'm the bad guy?

Of course I am.

Mick

No I didn't mean to sound so harsh or hard. I just have a hard time when someone takes their own life knowing they have their own offspring on the planet to take care of.

Drugs, alcohol, depression is a reality to many humans, but there is help for that and he chose the cowardly way out. That's all.

This is not about his music. This is about a man under a lot of pressure. It's sad, but what about his six kids????

No one is perfect. Why couldn't he seek help?

I like you too Mick, sorry if I offended you.

I'm a family first guy.

It pains me to see a successful guy take himself out like this! That's all.

I'm very educated about this. We can pm each other about it. That's all I will say.

I'm sad for his kids and his loved ones. They will suffer the most.

No-one saw the Chris Cornell tragedy either. Not even his wife. Crazy world.

it's ok Earl. this is just a sore subject for me.....cause i've been through this.

and the fact that no one saw the Cornell thing says a little of my point. in that families could be a little more aware of loved ones pain.

my point too is that throwing blame arount will not do. and we never know what's inside one's head.

I was able to come back from the edge. Sad fact is some can't family or no.

and we need......Absolutly NEED......to do better foe those still here and in pain.

Mick

• Like 4

He called someone who killed themselves "cowardly" and "selfish" for christ's sake! Do you honestly think that if he truly believes that, it would make someone close to him that is going through some kind of horrible pain and suffering not feel worse?

I already stated that i disagreed with the "selfish" opinion. But there's no reason for you to dig where you did other than that you got angry. Anger is the reason you went there. It's the only reason.

Besides, you don't know the reasons for what goes on his family. I don't even feel comfortable talking about it when he's not here. Show some class and drop this angle of your disagreement. There's ZERO reason to mention his kid. ZERO.

I'm done.

• Like 3