Chester Bennington (linkin park) commits suicide

Rushman14

Apparently I wasn't the only one who called Chester a "coward" for his selfish act. Brian "Head" Welch, the guitarist from KORN also called Chester a coward on his Facebook page. Is he wrong too?

I'm not ok with either Cornell's or Chester's ending, but it seems that Cornell's was a build-up of frustration mixed with the effects from his meds. Chester's was not only a copycat of Chris', but he did it on Chris' birthday which is a dick move in my book. Like he wants to ride Chris's coattails.

In case you aren't aware, Chris Cornell and Chester Bennington were extremely close friends. Chesters band mates did report that after he got the news that Chris had committed suicide, something inside him just snapped....it truly is an awful situation :(

I'm still in utter disbelief at the amount of hate Chester is getting on Facebook. I even saw a post that f***ing said that they were glad he killed himself. f**k people. Seriously.

• Like 2

Whether we feel sympathetic and heartbroken or frustrated and angry, I think it is safe to say that none of us feel happy

While I don't think "coward" is the right choice of words, I do think that those who feel that way are just as upset at the loss of life ...

Knowing what I know about HemiBeers and Earl, I would bet that both would be the first ones to try to help someone, and both would do it with as much sincerity and emotion as any of those who have disagreed here - just in their own way ..

I think the anger here is coming from the same place as the heartbroken sympathy ... No one here wants another human being to do this

Absolutely.

Earl, if I'm on the edge of The Golden Gate Bridge about to jump, I want you there talking me down ... With your heart and sincere emotion, I bet you'd have me down in about two minutes ..

I'm serious

• Like 2

I can't imagine that having loving friends and family isn't enough, but that's obviously not the case for some. I have a close friend who is dealing with the suicide of his girlfriend. She had all the support you would think would be enough, but it wasn't.
  • Like 5

Seriously though. Forget about the art of all of these bands where the lead singer kills him or herself.

What is it?

Is it the pressure of being the "leader" of the band?

I honestly don't understand this phenomena.

It truly is in my mind.

Cobain?

Cornell?

Staley?

It can't be the weather?

Weiland?

Bennington?

Hutchence? INXS

Nick Drake?

Ian Curtis?

Donny Hathaway?

Wendy O Williams?

Brad Delp?

Keith Emerson?

I just don't get it that's all. I want to understand.

Your problem is you think music is the whole point.

Well, I do think music has a play in this. Artists tend to be wired differently than your average every day Joe. That's what makes them so special. The singer from killswitch engage talks about it.

"Mental illness is rampant in the artistic community"

http://www.blabbermo...y-of-his-death/

Agreed. Many musicians suffer from mental disorders. Most humans do I believe. Even STING is bi-polar.

Look at our beloved Mr. Peart. One of the most influential rock drummers ever. And a little bit of a weird, introverted dude. Coincidence? Nope.

Huh? Neil Peart now has a mental disorder?

LOL!

i understand why some people get tired of fighting and just want the pain to stop. but at the same time i do think that suicide is a selfish choice. it's an absolutely horrible way to lose someone you love, you never stop feeling personally bad about it even when you know with your mind that it isn't your fault and you couldn't have stopped them.

for a person in pain to decide they want to relieve their pain more than they want to spare their loved ones is a valid enough choice, who am i to say it isn't, but i have way more respect for people who don't give up.

suicide is not okay.

It's awfully tough on the survivors. I know many parents that have lost young teens to suicide, and it is devastating.
  • Like 1

Apparently I wasn't the only one who called Chester a "coward" for his selfish act. Brian "Head" Welch, the guitarist from KORN also called Chester a coward on his Facebook page. Is he wrong too?

Some guy in a band said something so we should all agree with him? I don't think I follow.

I hear you Union.

I don't know about "wrong", but I will say I disagree.

I don't care who says what, I'll disagree if I disagree.

Some guy in a band said something so we should all agree with him? I don't think I follow.

I hear you Union.

I don't know about "wrong", but I will say I disagree.

I don't care who says what, I'll disagree if I disagree.

Here's the quote ... obviously, an example of someone who DID NOT want him to do this and feels frustrated ..

A poor choice of words ?? .. yes ... but I can understand the emotion and frustration

Honestly, Chester’s an old friend who we’ve hung with many times, and I have friends who are extremely close to him, but this is truly pissing me off! How can these guys send this message to their kids and fans?! I’m sick of this suicide s—t! I’ve battled depression/mental illness, and I’m trying to be sempethetic (sic), but it’s hard when you’re pissed! Enough is enough! Giving up on your kids, fans, and life is the cowardly way out!!!

I’m sorry, I know meds and/or alcohol may have been involved, I’m just processing like all of us and I know we are all having some of the same thoughts/feelings.

Lord, take Chester in your arms and please re-unite him with his family and all of us one day. Be with his wife and kids with your grace during this difficult time.

• Like 2

In case you aren't aware, Chris Cornell and Chester Bennington were extremely close friends. Chesters band mates did report that after he got the news that Chris had committed suicide, something inside him just snapped....it truly is an awful situation :(

It is. One year early in my teaching career, I got a Saturday morning call informing me that one of my students had taken his own life. I spent that day calling students from that class to check in with them, to let them know I was there for support. That Monday was tough...seeing the empty seat and knowing that D would never fill it again...or any other chair. Students struggled all year, with some suffering deep depression and even attempting suicide themselves. It was awful.

That experience is one reason I'm here on TRF, actually. The band helped me get through it, whether as an escape via RUSH classics or as a catalyst to confront my feelings through songs like The Pass. Some may wonder how I could amass 50K posts on a RUSH forum, but this thread shows how. We're a family, and we have lots to say to each other.

:cheers:

• Like 8

Welch's follow up:

I didn’t mean to sound insensitive about Chester. Just dealing with a range of emotions today. Love you Chester. I’m pissed that you did this, but I know this could have been me back in the day after getting wasted one night.

• Like 4

I'm not ok with either Cornell's or Chester's ending, but it seems that Cornell's was a build-up of frustration mixed with the effects from his meds. Chester's was not only a copycat of Chris', but he did it on Chris' birthday which is a dick move in my book. Like he wants to ride Chris's coattails.

I'm still in utter disbelief at the amount of hate Chester is getting on Facebook. I even saw a post that f***ing said that they were glad he killed himself. f**k people. Seriously.

I was aware they were friends. And no, I'm not glad he killed himself and anyone that says they are assholes. I guess what bothers me is that Chris's was a spur of the moment thing and Chester had time to think, and actually plan it. If he had the time to think about it, it's really disappointing that he still came to his final conclusion. It's one thing if your life is utter shit and you don't have friends and family support. It's another when you have all the means and support available to help and you make the worst choice. Edited by HemiBeers

I was aware they were friends. And no, I'm not glad he killed himself and anyone that says they are assholes. I guess what bothers me is that Chris's was a spur of the moment thing and Chester had time to think, and actually plan it. If he had the time to think about it, it's really disappointing that he still came to his final conclusion. It's one thing if your life is utter shit and you don't have friends and family support. It's another when you have all the means and support available to help and you make the worst choice.

How the hell do you know what either of these men were thinking? You're out of line. The best anyone can do after these type of tragedies is hope the best for the families.

I was aware they were friends. And no, I'm not glad he killed himself and anyone that says they are assholes. I guess what bothers me is that Chris's was a spur of the moment thing and Chester had time to think, and actually plan it. If he had the time to think about it, it's really disappointing that he still came to his final conclusion. It's one thing if your life is utter shit and you don't have friends and family support. It's another when you have all the means and support available to help and you make the worst choice.

How the hell do you know what either of these men were thinking? You're out of line. The best anyone can do after these type of tragedies is hope the best for the families.

We're all just thinking out loud trying to make sense of this.

If I said I'm glad Chester died, that's out of line.

If someone said that they hope my son commits suicide, that's out of line. (which in fact they did say).

If we can't freely share our thoughts on here, then there's no f***ing point of this forum is there?

It's not like I gave Chester the rope...just words on an internet forum that didn't harm anyone.

Chill out.

Edited by HemiBeers
  • Like 2

LP was my favorite band from my late childhood/early teen years up until mid 2009, right before I graduated from high school, when I discovered the very band this board's based on and they took that spot. But they continued to take a special place in my heart and still do. Chester's death had the biggest effect on me than any other celebrity death in quite some time. Their discography will never sound the same to me again. I just hope and pray that his family and friends can find some peace, even if it's never gonna be 100%. R.I.P. Chester, you are forever an icon.
  • Like 2

How a parent could come to commit suicide is beyond me. Condolences and strength to the family left behind. Edited by thirteen
  • Like 2

There was a rumor going around on the internet that he might have been murdered. But I've seen on a couple websites tonight that are saying it was a hoax.

It is. One year early in my teaching career, I got a Saturday morning call informing me that one of my students had taken his own life. I spent that day calling students from that class to check in with them, to let them know I was there for support. That Monday was tough...seeing the empty seat and knowing that D would never fill it again...or any other chair. Students struggled all year, with some suffering deep depression and even attempting suicide themselves. It was awful.

That experience is one reason I'm here on TRF, actually. The band helped me get through it, whether as an escape via RUSH classics or as a catalyst to confront my feelings through songs like The Pass. Some may wonder how I could amass 50K posts on a RUSH forum, but this thread shows how. We're a family, and we have lots to say to each other.

My junior year of high school, we had two upperclassmen take their own lives within a month of each other. The second was believed to be a copy-cat of the first, and the first was seen as somewhat of a copy-cat of Robin Williams, who had recently passed.

I cannot relay the utter grief and depression that fell over the entire school in those months. The first one was bad enough, but the second one really left us in a bad place. We were each asked to find a friend to keep contact with over the following weekend, just to make sure everyone felt safe and cared for and accounted for. After the first one, a song came out of me, sent from God, which is still the best composition I have. After the second one, I realized it wasn't just for the first student, but it was dedicated to all those who's lives are cut too short, especially by suicide. You remind me of my physics teacher from that year, who had the second student in his class. He was a brand new teacher that year and was just connecting with the school and his students. He was devastated, the second student was one of his favorites in class.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I completely get you. The weight of a suicide within your own community, especially that young, is incomprehensible unless you've lived through it. I will never forget standing on the field before marching band practice one morning and hearing the unthinkable over the morning announcements, then having it happen all over again a month later, and the utter despair sinking into everyone's hearts all at once...

• Like 2

My junior year of high school, we had two upperclassmen take their own lives within a month of each other. The second was believed to be a copy-cat of the first, and the first was seen as somewhat of a copy-cat of Robin Williams, who had recently passed.

I cannot relay the utter grief and depression that fell over the entire school in those months. The first one was bad enough, but the second one really left us in a bad place. We were each asked to find a friend to keep contact with over the following weekend, just to make sure everyone felt safe and cared for and accounted for. After the first one, a song came out of me, sent from God, which is still the best composition I have. After the second one, I realized it wasn't just for the first student, but it was dedicated to all those who's lives are cut too short, especially by suicide. You remind me of my physics teacher from that year, who had the second student in his class. He was a brand new teacher that year and was just connecting with the school and his students. He was devastated, the second student was one of his favorites in class.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I completely get you. The weight of a suicide within your own community, especially that young, is incomprehensible unless you've lived through it. I will never forget standing on the field before marching band practice one morning and hearing the unthinkable over the morning announcements, then having it happen all over again a month later, and the utter despair sinking into everyone's hearts all at once...

It's a weight that is never lifted. But from it, a clarity of how blessed my life is - whatever difficulties it may include - came out of it.
  • Like 2

Some of you have f***ing disgraced yourselves on this thread.

Cold-hearted misinformed tossers.

When you're in a place where you truly believe your kids are better off without you, and trust me, that's EXACTLY how you feel, talk to me. I certainly won't call you selfish.

Some of us aren't strong enough for living and need help. But sometimes, help isn't enough and we fall through the cracks and into the dark.

• Like 6

Some of you have f***ing disgraced yourselves on this thread.

Cold-hearted misinformed tossers.

When you're in a place where you truly believe your kids are better off without you, and trust me, that's EXACTLY how you feel, talk to me. I certainly won't call you selfish.

Some of us aren't strong enough for living and need help. But sometimes, help isn't enough and we fall through the cracks and into the dark.

Thank you.

I mean that.

We're all just thinking out loud trying to make sense of this.

If I said I'm glad Chester died, that's out of line.

If someone said that they hope my son commits suicide, that's out of line. (which in fact they did say).

If we can't freely share our thoughts on here, then there's no f***ing point of this forum is there?

It's not like I gave Chester the rope...just words on an internet forum that didn't harm anyone.

Chill out.

Uh, I most absolutley did NOT f***ing say that I hope your son dies. What I said was that if your son had been suffering from suicidal ideations and after I just saw his father bash and insult someone who JUST ended their lives due to depression, it dosen't take a genius to put two and two together and think... "Hmmm....because HemiBeers just insulted the shit and shamed the shit out of someone for killing themselves due to depression and he said that his son went through suicidal ideations. Wouldn't it be natural to assume that if your disgusting post is how you really think about people who are depressed or commit suicide, that all you're doing is making him feel WORSE than he already was?"

TL, DR. I believe 100% that you are the cause of your son's depression and suicidal thoughts.

Edited by fraroc