informal poll

how many members here are ok with racist and profane hypocrisy at TRF

specifically:

expletive descriptions of female body parts = not allowed

racial slurs against dark-skinned people = not allowed

expletive descriptions of defecation = totally acceptable

racial slurs against light-skinned people = totally acceptable

thoughts?

I'm fine with it. The board rules reflect the general opinion of outer society. The C-word is more offensive than saying shit, the N-word is more offensive than saying 'cracka'.

I don't think serious racism towards white people should be taken lightly whatsoever though. It's on the rise, and you can't just laugh it off all the time.

• Like 1

informal poll

specifically:

thoughts?

I can't say that I've seen many descriptions of defecation and/or racial slurs against white skinned people. (Slurs against stupid people or stupid in general, plenty. ETA: including me making them ! ) Maybe I'm in different threads, which is OK since I don't really want to see a lot of that stuff. Is there a specific post or thread that is bothering you, ghostworks?

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1

informal poll

specifically:

thoughts?

I can't say that I've seen many descriptions of defecation and/or racial slurs against white skinned people. (Slurs against stupid people or stupid in general, plenty.) Maybe I'm in different threads, which is OK since I don't really want to see a lot of that stuff. Is there a specific post or thread that is bothering you, ghostworks?

I'd like to acknowledge that the example that prompted this thread is a concentrated isolated series of posts, but the broader hypocrisy has been at work here for over seven years

I'm fine with it. The board rules reflect the general opinion of outer society. The C-word is more offensive than saying shit, the N-word is more offensive than saying 'cracka'.

Very common sense way of looking at this, thank you.

I don't think serious racism towards white people should be taken lightly whatsoever though. It's on the rise, and you can't just laugh it off all the time.

Ghostie will get on my case for this, because he'll feel I should know the answer to this already, but can you give me examples of this on TRF?

• Like 1

Seriously, I am offended by nothing

If there are ignorant or cringe-inducing comments, they are a reflection of the idiot who blurts them out -

That would be fine if this were an adults-only community. That is not the case, however.

My bad, I didn't mean the forum should be a free-for-all . . On a personal level, I am not easily offended .. But there definitely needs to be guidelines, rules and a good amount of adherence by everyone here ..

• Like 1

If there are ignorant or cringe-inducing comments, they are a reflection of the idiot who blurts them out -

^ This.

Policing all the comments that come into everyone's heads that they feel like posting on a public forum is a tricky business, indeed. (And I don't mean 'policing' in a negative way. It's the responsible thing to do). But I agree with Lucas; I tend to just be dismissive of anyone who makes comments like that, for good or ill. I know not everybody can do that so simply, though.

• Like 1

I've apparently missed something. My only concern lately is attempts to introduce a "safe space" mentality where disagreeing equals being offensive to certain people. Shouldn't be allowed to succeed.
  • Like 4

Racism of any kind is unacceptable, in my eyes. Even if it isn't meant to be taken seriously, it is not funny. As for vulgar/graphic language, that's pretty okay with me. I never, ever swear, but I'm not offended when others do. This is an online forum, people are going to say whatever they want, and other people, especially kids, needs to understand that and read at his/her own risk. That being said, racism is serious and any incidence of it on here should be handled.
  • Like 3

I guess I'm kinda like Lucas....I haven't seen too much that got my attention the way that Ghostie seems to have......I'd like examples also....

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/OldRUSHfan/Banana%20World/banana%20screaming.gif

Edited by OldRUSHfan
  • Like 2

I've apparently missed something. My only concern lately is attempts to introduce a "safe space" mentality where disagreeing equals being offensive to certain people. Shouldn't be allowed to succeed.

This^^^. Safe spaces...smh
  • Like 1

This^^^. Safe spaces...smh

A safe space only exists in your head. Or like in Bizzaro world.

Either way.....

• Like 1

informal poll

How else are people supposed to answer this besides the obvious?

I think it would've been better if you had given a few of the EXACT things said THEN asked what we thought. You wouldn't even need to mention WHO said it, just WHAT was said.

• Like 2