TRF Racism And Profanity Hypocrisy

ghostworks

The Rush Forum is this beautiful historic mansion that has a thousand stories to tell ...

The SPAM Thread is one slate in the backyard of that mansion that, when lifted, exposes a teeming group of insects that are living underneath ..

The mansion is still wonderful

your ignorance fits right in here :)

How odd. This forum is very PG rated compared to some I've seen. The only thing that I've seen go on that I thought should be nipped in the bud is some name calling. Or every once in a while the weirdo that pops up to cause trouble. Otherwise it's really laid back here.

Yeah. And most people think, "oh shit, I forgot the smiley!" and go back and edit right away.

Believe it or not, this forum beats any religious fora I ever belonged to. I've met more trustworthy people here than I ever encountered on any of them.

No doubt! Religious zealots can be monsters behind their keyboards.

Religion is a personal matter (or, at least it should be) and discussing it in mixed company all but guarantees a blowup. It's why many online communities don't allow religious discussion. Here, we try to keep it confined to SOCN.

Which is a very smart thing to do. Politics also brings out the worst in some people.

• Like 3

The Rush Forum is this beautiful historic mansion that has a thousand stories to tell ...

The SPAM Thread is one slate in the backyard of that mansion that, when lifted, exposes a teeming group of insects that are living underneath ..

You've got something against insects ?

• Like 3

yes

a shoe

• Like 1

I think Ghostie has ants in his cargo pants. ;)

• Like 2

I'm not an insect :o - I'm a cat! :P

• Like 3

You're a cat-erpillar. :P

• Like 5

Is there a particular thread that seems to be the source of all this angst?

http://www.therushfo...80#entry4126109

I just saw this, sheesh. Talking about making an issue out of a non-issue.

Also, I believe by reading that it was the first time I ever went into TOST. And hopefully the last.

• Like 4

I don't know what goes on in every single thread and/or subforum, but I've never seen anything out here on the main board that I can remember as being troublesome. SPAM is bizarre and strange, but that's to be expected in there. :unsure:

I think we do a good job of taking care of ourselves.

For the most part. :) :cheers:

Some "colourful" language may be used in TOST occasionally, but most regular posters there are familiar with each other and know it's good-natured fun. I doubt anyone is offended.

Much ado about nothing...

• Like 1

You're a cat-erpillar. :P

:P

• Like 2

I'm brand new here, and perhaps not cognizant of the atmosphere yet, but I have to think racist commentary should not be welcome.

This is not my free speech response, as I believe restricting free speech is abhorrent.

But there is also a right held by the creators of this site to hold a forum wherein people of every race/gender/religion/etc would feel comfortable. It is their right to protect this forum as an inclusive domain, which necessitates restricting people from driving people away. So to that end, let those who feel some odd need to express their base natures to the world find a forum that operates from that vantage. Stormfront is probably still taking calls.

I don't particularly like ad hominem attacks of any kind, they generally contribute nothing to a discussion and only serve to derail discussions. That being said, people ought to be able to joke with each other or even disagree to a strong extent. If someone is particularly crass, in my view that's part of life and we'll all survive. If they are intentionally expressing racist or sexist thoughts then follow the exit strategy that must be in place for trolls.

Obviously people might get caught in this net despite intending sarcasm, irony, or sardonic wit. They may get caught in another contextual net. Most of us can appreciate these distinctions, and if something gets flagged and the person pleads on these grounds, hear them out.

Until I finally pass the conditions for joining the political forum (I hope you have an active one) I probably won't see much of what is being discussed here. Most people know better, and hopefully most people here aren't clamoring to throw sticks and stones at people anyway.

• Like 2

I'm not sure what the OP is referring to, but I do have to say that racism or other forms of hate have no place here (or anywhere, for that matter). Yes, it is fine for people to have differences of opinion - that's just life. Discussions are great, and context is everything. But hate talk is not acceptable.

I've got pretty thick skin

and I was personally offended by none of the words or comments that prompted the thread

what irks me most is the arbitrary double standard of what is and what is not 'offensive/censored' here

imo this arbitrary line is childish and silly, and though 99% of this forum - and my time here - is spent passively and enjoyably, sometimes that 1% needs a voice

I'm thankful this place allows that

I've vented, everyone's moved on - the company line shall remain arbitrary, childish and silly

TRF™ - Use at your own discretion

How about instead of complaining about the way this forum is run you go and start your own Rush forum and run it the way you think a forum should be ran. While you are setting it up you may feel free to ask me any questions you like and I will help you as best I can. When you have it all ready to go, come back here and tell everyone that you're open for business. Let everyone decide for themselves and if your way really is better then soon your forum will be outperforming this one. I promise you I am not being a smartass at all, I am 100% serious.

Edited by Jack Aubrey
  • Like 2

I've been here for many years and there has been a sense of respect, maturity and common sense shared among most here. It would be sad if that changed.
  • Like 3

That reminds me.

I wonder what a lurker makes of the top line of TRF popular tags:

Segue Myles #PubicLice obama

President Obama takes the scourge of public lice seriously???

• Like 2

That reminds me.

I wonder what a lurker makes of the top line of TRF popular tags:

Segue Myles #PubicLice obama

President Obama takes the scourge of public lice seriously???

As well he should!

• Like 1

Is there a particular thread that seems to be the source of all this angst?

http://www.therushfo...80#entry4126109

I just saw this, sheesh. Talking about making an issue out of a non-issue.

yeah but see, folks, there's at least five more years of this general hypocrisy from the administration that you weren't even around for

without that perspective, I understand your opinions

• Like 1

I'm not sure what the OP is referring to, but I do have to say that racism or other forms of hate have no place here (or anywhere, for that matter). Yes, it is fine for people to have differences of opinion - that's just life. Discussions are great, and context is everything. But hate talk is not acceptable.

I've got pretty thick skin

and I was personally offended by none of the words or comments that prompted the thread

what irks me most is the arbitrary double standard of what is and what is not 'offensive/censored' here

imo this arbitrary line is childish and silly, and though 99% of this forum - and my time here - is spent passively and enjoyably, sometimes that 1% needs a voice

I'm thankful this place allows that

I've vented, everyone's moved on - the company line shall remain arbitrary, childish and silly

TRF™ - Use at your own discretion

How about instead of complaining about the way this forum is run you go and start your own Rush forum and run it the way you think a forum should be ran. While you are setting it up you may feel free to ask me any questions you like and I will help you as best I can. When you have it all ready to go, come back here and tell everyone that you're open for business. Let everyone decide for themselves and if your way really is better then soon your forum will be outperforming this one. I promise you I am not being a smartass at all, I am 100% serious.

a moment's inequity here certainly doesn't require such extreme action

I know the double standards will continue here, but the more members that know that's how administration runs the ship, the better chance things have for refinement and progress

knowledge is power

What a silly thread.

When did getting butt hurt over bullshit become such a popular hobby. :|

By the way, I love the way this forum is run. If someone steps out of line, the community usually lets the offender know.

Edited by ILSnwdog
  • Like 1

Any decision to censor any words will always be arbitrary and incomplete to someone. However, it's better than having a rush fan join and see we throw the n word around and decide the community isn't for them.