TRF Racism And Profanity Hypocrisy

ghostworks

So Surrender really got suspended? Or banned?

I hope she is OK if she goes to another forum. DOL hit the nail on the head when she said " I don't think that 74 fully understood what she was saying. She seeks attention."

I honestly think (if you read this sometime, Surrender, I would say it right to you as well, hun) she has a little bit of some type of developmental disorder. She reminds me SO much of a neighbor girl that has one. The huge obsession over one interest. The being oblivious to social cues (granted, less of those on the internet than face to face, but still . .),, like not getting that everyone disliked getting a string of one word answers, or that we didn't love her self congratulation thread. I think that is what made her seem so much younger than she is. I hope she stays safe.

Sounds more like high functioning autism, perhaps Aspergers, rather than a developmental disorder. OCD and being oblivious to social cues being the main symptoms.

People with Aspergers are quite intelligent and vary in their sensitivity. Generally thinking differently, their reactions, or lack of, are confusing to people.

Anyhow, just my two cents.

Well, Aspergers and autism still fall under the category of developmental disorders.

Anyway, it's so hard to know just from what we type on here.

• Like 2

I hope she is OK if she goes to another forum. DOL hit the nail on the head when she said " I don't think that 74 fully understood what she was saying. She seeks attention."

I honestly think (if you read this sometime, Surrender, I would say it right to you as well, hun) she has a little bit of some type of developmental disorder. She reminds me SO much of a neighbor girl that has one. The huge obsession over one interest. The being oblivious to social cues (granted, less of those on the internet than face to face, but still . .),, like not getting that everyone disliked getting a string of one word answers, or that we didn't love her self congratulation thread. I think that is what made her seem so much younger than she is. I hope she stays safe.

Sounds more like high functioning autism, perhaps Aspergers, rather than a developmental disorder. OCD and being oblivious to social cues being the main symptoms.

People with Aspergers are quite intelligent and vary in their sensitivity. Generally thinking differently, their reactions, or lack of, are confusing to people.

Well, Aspergers and autism still fall under the category of developmental disorders.

Its a sensitive subject. More so when we are speculating on someone's condition without all the information.

Edited by Dweezil
  • Like 3

Its a sensitive subject. More so when we are speculating on someone's condition without all the information.

For sure

• Like 2

Not sure you can diagnose if someone has a mental condition based on a few posts. Young people make faux pas' all the time, it is a normal part of their development.

As for racism against White people, well if White people are ever in a position where they are clearly discriminated against as a group for being white or as part of a history of subservience then I might accept that.

Basically nope not having it.

• Like 1

I agree

And Surrender, if you happen to see this, my harsh take on this is not directed at you - it is about the environment that has been created - an environment that is not conducive to healthy online interaction ..

Surrender had a lot to offer - the drawings, the opened minded approach to music - but the ease of drowning in that SPAM thread was unfortunate ..

With an adult, it is different ... But for a kid who is still developing socially and emotionally, no one in there seemed to care ..

What's the point of saying anything? It gets you nowhere on here.

We have other young members - Bobby, Disk, Jamie, LadyG - and we never had this problem with any one of them.

Surrender appears from her posts to be a precocious young lady. Also, if she is telling the truth, any 15 year old that hits her mother (on account of the fact that her mother yelled at her) is either a problem child or horribly spoiled.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

Being offended is one thing

Finding something disturbing is entirely something different

Not sure why that SPAM thread even exists - freedom of speech - well, you tell me if this is something that should or shouldn't be of concern:

( keep in mind that Surrender claims to be a 15 y/o girl )

http://www.therushfo...00#entry4125650

That spam thread is the one festering sore on this forum.

And the beautiful thing about the SPAM thread is that you never, ever, need to go into the thread if you don't want to. :)

Do you realize that Surrender is a kid - a female - who claims to be 15 but is probably a few years younger ?

There's not a whole lot a person can do in regards to anonymous users on an internet forum, but I see that you list your kids as an interest, so I would hope that as a dad, this example in TOST would concern you ..

I could care less what adults do with their spare time, or how the waste it away .... But if this is a kid in there with grown men, it's not something to turn a blind eye to

Dude, all that I'm saying is that if you don't like a thread, then don't go in it.

Go direct your self righteousness somewhere else.

You're a coward

No, he's right. First, you're prolonging an issue which was already dealt with just because it makes you uncomfortable. No one's saying they like the idea of what was going on with her posts there, and that's why she was talked to by 73 and suspended or banned (I don't know which). Second, you're also harping on a thread you don't like (again) when you can just ignore it.

Front to back this thread is filled to the brim with purposeless bitching :)

Surrender was suspended for a week, and she'll be able to post again on Sunday evening. She says she'll be leaving the board after that, but she's said that before only to continue posting like normal.

If she doesn't know that those TOST posts were inappropriate, especially for a 15-year-old girl, then she needs to learn what is appropriate and what isn't. Thing is,TRF is not the place to learn such things. That's not why we're here. If she still needs to learn, she'll have to do it somewhere else.

• Like 7

I gotta tell ya, I'm glad I didn't have the internets around when I was a teenager.

Same.

I have three teenagers, and the internet has been a blessing and a curse. With all of the positives, there is still the element where people can hide behind their computers and bully each other and be hateful and post horrible images and statements about people they don't like. All of this while being relatively anonymous, faceless. And, things can get out of hand quickly because it's impossible to accurately interpret a person's posts, comments, tweets, what have you, in the same way you can face-to-face. It can be a real mess, especially for young people like Surrender, where their fragility can be even more problematic.

• Like 5

I gotta tell ya, I'm glad I didn't have the internets around when I was a teenager.

Same.

I have three teenagers, and the internet has been a blessing and a curse. With all of the positives, there is still the element where people can hide behind their computers and bully each other and be hateful and post horrible images and statements about people they don't like. All of this while being relatively anonymous, faceless. And, things can get out of hand quickly because it's impossible to accurately interpret a person's posts, comments, tweets, what have you, in the same way you can face-to-face. It can be a real mess, especially for young people like Surrender, where their fragility can be even more problematic.

When Surrender posts about things other than herself -- music, TV, Rush, etc. -- she blends in like anyone else here. Even some of her TOST posts are entertaining (in that random free-association way of "normal" TOST posting). If she could just focus on joining in on topics instead of spamming she'd do just fine here (spamming is clearly not good for her). It's not like she doesn't share common interests with the rest of us.

• Like 6

Not sure why that SPAM thread even exists - freedom of speech - well, you tell me if this is something that should or shouldn't be of concern:

Don't forget about SOCN!

:eyeroll: There's nothing wrong with SOCN. I've learned a lot banging heads with others in there. :)

:cheers:

I'm catching up with this thread since yesterday- just saw her comment and I was going to say pretty much the same thing you did.

• Like 2

Same.

My wife and I had some long talks with our son about using the internet. There was one situation in particular what really opened our eyes. I think our talk sank in, because my son is in a much better state of mind. Too much, too soon. It can be very hard to deal with at certain ages.

• Like 1

Same.

My wife and I had some long talks with our son about using the internet. There was one situation in particular what really opened our eyes. I think our talk sank in, because my son is in a much better state of mind. Too much, too soon. It can be very hard to deal with at certain ages.

My older son wants to get a laptop to keep in his bedroom. He's currently in seventh grade. I don't have any reason to think he's into anything that he shouldn't be, at this age. But it still sets a bad precedent. The next couple of years of his development will be hugely influential on him as far as technology is concerned (and lots of other things too, of course).

So the answer is no!

And the beautiful thing about the SPAM thread is that you never, ever, need to go into the thread if you don't want to. :)

Do you realize that Surrender is a kid - a female - who claims to be 15 but is probably a few years younger ?

There's not a whole lot a person can do in regards to anonymous users on an internet forum, but I see that you list your kids as an interest, so I would hope that as a dad, this example in TOST would concern you ..

I could care less what adults do with their spare time, or how the waste it away .... But if this is a kid in there with grown men, it's not something to turn a blind eye to

Dude, all that I'm saying is that if you don't like a thread, then don't go in it.

Go direct your self righteousness somewhere else.

You're a coward

f**k you and your punk ass. You don't know jack shit about me.

Me too. I'd be blind now.

Magazines were too expensive?

In holy Catholic Ireland? In the 80's? All we had was a barren imagination and gallons of enthusiasm.

And guilt.

Well, I'm glad you finally met someone.

• Like 2

In holy Catholic Ireland? In the 80's? All we had was a barren imagination and gallons of enthusiasm.

And guilt.

Well, I'm glad you finally met someone.

Yes, we love our miracles, all the praying. And the demon drink.

• Like 3

And guilt.

GALLONS???

never mind.

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 1

And guilt.

GALLONS???

Chateau Libido '85

• Like 2

And guilt.

GALLONS???

Chateau Libido '85

And guilt.

GALLONS???

Ah, y'know, when you add up all that, em, enthusiasm......