Gimme Shelter or Helter Skelter?

Texas King

Gimme Shelter or Helter Skelter?  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Gimme Shelter or Helter Skelter?

• Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter
    • Beatles - Helter Skelter

Gimme Shelter is one of my all time favorite Stones songs. Even if just for that acoustic rhythm at the intro. Helter Skelter is...eh, I like the live Oasis version a lot better actually.
  • Like 2

Gimmie Shelter is a defining moment in not only the band's career, but in rock history ... Incredible mood that one paints ... Top 5 Stones song for me, and that is saying a lot because The Stones have countless classics ..

Helter Skelter is ok, it sounds like a demo ... Not a big Beatles fan, although I really appreciate their work and fanbase

Gimmie Shelter wins here about as handily as can be

• Like 5

This was a coin flip for me until I played them both and was reminded of the amazing female vocal performance of Merry Clayton on Shelter.

Before you vote, you need to read this to appreciate the story of Merry's involvement with the song.

http://www.openculture.com/2013/06/mick_jagger_tells_the_story_behind_gimme_shelter.html

• Like 4

This was a coin flip for me until I played them both and was reminded of the amazing female vocal performance of Merry Clayton on Shelter.

Before you vote, you need to read this to appreciate the story of Merry's involvement with the song.

http://www.opencultu...me_shelter.html

That was really interesting! Thank you for posting it. I have always thought that Merry's haunting background vocals really turned the song into a classic.

• Like 1

And I voted Gimme Shelter, you probably guessed, with my admiration for Keith Richards. I do think it is an all time classic. I love the White Album but Helter Skelter is kind of a mediocre track from it, IMO.
  • Like 1

Are we comparing them because they rhyme?

No, for the blisters caused by playing them. I'll go with the blistering guitar work of Gimme Shelter as my choice.

Overall, I prefer The Beatles to The Rolling Stones on nearly every level. However, between these two songs, I prefer Gimme Shelter.