People who hate the synth era

fraroc

are ignorant.

There. I said it. There is really no way in Hell that you can listen to Subdivisions, The Weapon, Red Sector A, Distant Early Warning and Marathon and say that those songs suck because they have too many keyboards or they aren't as proggy as Lamneth or Hemispheres. To anyone who says that "oh Geddy's the bass player why is he playing keyboards?" Why SHOULDN'T he play keyboards, in order to experiment with a new sound, Geddy familiarized himself with keyboards and as a result, became one of the most impressive musical multitaskers ever, being able to go between bass and keyboards effortlessly WHILE singing is NO easy feat.

The bassline to Xanadu is absolutley unforgettable and is legendary, but so is the bassline to Marathon and if you disagree with the statement I just said, then you obviously haven't listened to Marathon. And some people have the nerve to call the synth-era songs "piss break songs" f**k THAT NOISE, seriously.

Edited by fraroc
  • Like 1

are ignorant.

There. I said it. There is really no way in Hell that you can listen to Subdivisions, The Weapon, Red Sector A, Distant Early Warning and Marathon and say that those songs suck because they have too many keyboards or they aren't as proggy as Lamneth or Hemispheres. To anyone who says that "oh Geddy's the bass player why is he playing keyboards?" Why SHOULDN'T he play keyboards, in order to experiment with a new sound, Geddy familiarized himself with keyboards and as a result, became one of the most impressive musical multitaskers ever, being able to go between bass and keyboards effortlessly WHILE singing is NO easy feat.

The bassline to Xanadu is absolutley unforgettable and is legendary, but so is the bassline to Marathon and if you disagree with the statement I just said, then you obviously haven't listened to Marathon. And some people have the nerve to call the synth-era songs "piss break songs" f**k THAT NOISE, seriously.

It's ironic that in praising the synth era, you sang the praises of the bass line to Marathon. It is indeed a killer bass line, but it seems like you should have praised the keyboard part instead.

• Like 5

The synth era helped them to stay relevant, sound modern and stay popular in the 80s. If they were still doing the same stuff they did in the 70s, they would have sounded dated and no doubt have faded away and possibly broke up like so many 70s bands had at that time. They deserve all the credit in the world for changing with the times and still writing some great material.
  • Like 6

I think people who think people who hate the synth era are ignorant are ignorant.

Ignorant is as ignorant does. :LOL:

• Like 3

are ignorant.

You do know the definition of ignorant, don't you? Are you saying that someone who doesn't like the synth era just hasn't listened to it? That's a bit presumptuous wouldn't you say?

• Like 6

I see fraroc's name and I just know its gonna be him with twisted knickers wedgied so far up his butt it becomes one with his soul.
  • Like 10

are ignorant.

It's ironic that in praising the synth era, you sang the praises of the bass line to Marathon. It is indeed a killer bass line, but it seems like you should have praised the keyboard part instead.

Well, he brought it up to make the point that Geddy hadn't forsaken the bass or stopped delivering amazing bass lines once he started heavily incorporating synths. I can understand why he wanted to make that point. His post on the whole might've been more convincing had he brought up specific impactful synth parts, though.

Is this thread targeted towards anyone specific or just some hypothetical synth haters out there you want to get angry at in advance?

This is a valid question. The original post could've focused on the merits of the synth era (and been a much more interesting and effective defense of the period as a result) instead of being an attack on faceless people.

• Like 1

are ignorant.

Well, he brought it up to make the point that Geddy hadn't forsaken the bass or stopped delivering amazing bass lines once he started heavily incorporating synths. I can understand why he wanted to make that point. His post on the whole might've been more convincing had he brought up specific impactful synth parts, though.

Is this thread targeted towards anyone specific or just some hypothetical synth haters out there you want to get angry at in advance?

This is a valid question. The original post could've focused on the merits of the synth era (and been a much more interesting and effective defense of the period as a result) instead of being an attack on faceless people.

That and I've noticed a pattern of excessive hostility towards opinions that don't agree with his.

• Like 2

The synth era helped them to stay relevant, sound modern and stay popular in the 80s. If they were still doing the same stuff they did in the 70s, they would have sounded dated and no doubt have faded away and possibly broke up like so many 70s bands had at that time. They deserve all the credit in the world for changing with the times and still writing some great material.

This. Bands like Thin Lizzy, who I love, could never transition the way Rush did during the MTV era. It's part of what makes Rush so incredible.

• Like 4

I see fraroc's name and I just know its gonna be him with twisted knickers wedgied so far up his butt it becomes one with his soul.

Yep. Just not worth the effort in my view even if I find the subject matter interesting. In this case I really don't so much anyway so....
  • Like 2

It's hard to have an opinion respected and taken seriously when someone throws such anger and black and white thinking into their posts.

• Like 5

Let's be realistic - it's about more than just the music - it's what you bond with, what the band means to you, and what you mean to the band

In 1985, as a 17 year old male who grew up identifying with bands like RUSH, Thin Lizzy, Motorhead, etc, THIS was not something that represented me

http://eil.com/images/main/Rush-Power-Windows-Tou-105279.jpg

... It's OK to say that they sucked then - because they did

Edited by Lucas

From the perspective of a Geddy Lee fan, in a way the synth era was MORE impressive than the 70s musically due to the fact that Ged was multitasking between two separate instruments in addition to singing.
  • Like 2

I like the synth era. It just happens to be the worst era the band went through, and easily the most dated. That's saying a lot with how much CP and S&A stink in comparison to the band's other work.
  • Like 1