People who hate the synth era

fraroc

They weren't even thirty yet during the Permanent Waves tour.

I'm talking about the Flock Of Seagulls era - and, for example, Neil was born in 1952, which would put him squarely at 33 in 1985

It was a very transitional time for a lot of bands, and some of the bands I loved had totally lost me ( KISS, Yes, RUSH, even AC/DC with Bon Scott dying )

But I still love RUSH regardless, esp Geddy and Alex - even through all the different phases and forays into uncharted territory, they come across the same guys who grew up together having fun ....

http://www.rushisaband.com/images/200603/131.f.jpg

Personally, I think that as an embellishment they were fine....before they went too crazy with them, it was a nice change, gave Al a little rest, and added something to their sound...but then they just went over the top with them, and it got to be TOO much...almost like they were "THIS CLOSE" to adding that 4th member to sit up there on stage and play keys...

Keyboards have their place, but when they got to be prominent, it was a little over the top for me!

Careful....you're gonna be soon called 'closed minded and the dumbest thing ever' or 'ignorant'.

Meh....Rush is a prog band, and keys have their place....but some of the mid-late 80's stuff went a little over the top...and some stuff got borderline pop.... Time Stand Still was too much!

The only synth record i dislike is p/g.........never understood it. I come back to it often but it just rings hollow.

Mick

Really? It's always seemed obvious to me that the album was about various themes of darkness.

1. Nuclear War (Distant Early Warning)

2. Loss of a Loved One (Afterimage)

3. The Holocaust (Red Sector A)

4. Mental Illness (The Enemy Within: Part I Of Fear)

5. Dystopian Future (The Body Electric)

6. Bullying (Kid Gloves)

7. McCarthy-ism/Red Scare (Red Lenses)

8. Living Through Times of War (Between The Wheels)

Edited by fraroc

It wasn't so much the synths, or the fact that Alex's role was different - it is what RUSH became, which was three established musicians and personalities who struggled in an attempt to reinvent themselves ..

They went their entire lives soaking up influences, and in a matter of 2 years, they were a pale version of what was popular on MTV .....

There are bands that did the synth thing at the time that I like - they did it well, and sincere ... I didn't feel that from RUSH .....

It is not narrow minded, it is simply a matter of transparency

LOL. So...PeW, MP, Signals...all pale insincere MTV driven versions of Hemispheres and AFTK?

please, don't slant this in that direction .... I saw them on the Permanent Waves tour, and that was before MTV and before the "synth era"

At that time, RUSH were 3 guys who were approaching their mid-30s, and all of a sudden, they were dressing like A-HA ... it was embarrassing

They changed ... and those who had bonded with them were not required to accept it or enjoy it ... Doesn't mean I don't still love them ....

ae098189e0a690bd377c2f0f51a6d2b3.jpg

Apparently he has a unique perception of the synth years.

To me the synth began with grace under pressure. Encouraged by the commercial sucess of new world man.

Alex rocking a flock of seagulls hairdo and neils rattail!

The Geddy Raccoon hat, reduced to 9.99!
  • Like 1