SHOCK GASP..........HORROR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mick

Yes

Kansas

Jethro Tull

Genesis

King Crimson

Gentle Giant

Nightwish (sorry...newer band but the new album has a top five sidelong epic in my book).

• Like 1

I just think other bands did the prog thing WAY better then Rush

SHOCK GASP..........HORROR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mick

Yes

Kansas

Jethro Tull

Genesis

King Crimson

Gentle Giant

Nightwish (sorry...newer band but the new album has a top five sidelong epic in my book).

Right on. All better prog, IMO.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Power Windows is in my top 5 rush albums.

Wonderful record.

Mick

It should be in mine but you can only have five albums in your top five haha

• Like 1

Rush was never a prog rock band. They are a band that played prog rock, it just happens that during this era they broke out and a fanbase formed. Rush were never innovators or originators. They never belonged to a musical movement. They were inspired by movements, but never spearheaded anything.

To paraphrase Gene Simmons, "Rush is Rush."

• Like 3

Rush was never a prog rock band. They are a band that played prog rock, it just happens that during this era they broke out and a fanbase formed. Rush were never innovators or originators. They never belonged to a musical movement. They were inspired by movements, but never spearheaded anything.

And what they did was make great music.

• Like 2

I see fraroc's name and I just know its gonna be him with twisted knickers wedgied so far up his butt it becomes one with his soul.

It's hard to have an opinion respected and taken seriously when someone throws such anger and black and white thinking into their posts.

Agreed. He is quite rigid and narrow minded. Always angry too.

• Like 3

I love the eighties synth era of Rush. But to say fans who dislike it are close minded is just the dumbest thing ever.

At least when I dislike something I am open minded enough to respect those who enjoy it, and admire the effort put into the music itself by artists I most likely cherish.

I'm close minded and dumb in one sentence. Then you're open minded and respect those who enjoy it in another sentence.

Hypo meets crit.

I love the synth era. Except Grace Under Pressure, I love some songs on it but as an album not that much.

As others have said, I don't understand why the OP doesn't respect the opinion of people who disagree with him.

This. Bands like Thin Lizzy, who I love, could never transition the way Rush did during the MTV era. It's part of what makes Rush so incredible.

I love Thin Lizzy too but yeah, their music hasn't changed anywhere near as much as Rush's.

I love the synth era. Except Grace Under Pressure, I love some songs on it but as an album not that much.

As others have said, I don't understand why the OP doesn't respect the opinion of people who disagree with him.

This. Bands like Thin Lizzy, who I love, could never transition the way Rush did during the MTV era. It's part of what makes Rush so incredible.

I love Thin Lizzy too but yeah, their music hasn't changed anywhere near as much as Rush's.

They're just cranky that Rush is ignoring Hold Your Nose this tour.

I love the eighties synth era of Rush. But to say fans who dislike it are close minded is just the dumbest thing ever.

At least when I dislike something I am open minded enough to respect those who enjoy it, and admire the effort put into the music itself by artists I most likely cherish.

I'm close minded and dumb in one sentence. Then you're open minded and respect those who enjoy it in another sentence.

Hypo meets crit.

Well to be fair, I only reacted to your reaction in a previous post, not to your taste in music.

I agree to disagree, but you read my post and labeled me a pop tart with a worthless opinion.

In all honesty, based on that, I do think you are close minded. What should my enjoyment of ABBA have to do with my view on the synth era Rush albums?

"Dumb" meets "ass"

• Like 1

Many myself included consider rush to be the godfathers of prog metal for the 70's records.

Way heavier than other prog of the time imo.

But your point of them changing as popular music did is true in my eyes.

• Like 1

Many myself included consider rush to be the godfathers of prog metal for the 70's records.

Yes believe this too. They were not at all like any of their peers!

Hypo meets crit.

Well to be fair, I only reacted to your reaction in a previous post, not to your taste in music.

I agree to disagree, but you read my post and labeled me a pop tart with a worthless opinion.

In all honesty, based on that, I do think you are close minded. What should my enjoyment of ABBA have to do with my view on the synth era Rush albums?

"Dumb" meets "ass"

Well thanks for calling me close minded...without reading my posts.

it's really simple logic that when you call people names walking down the street, which you and the op did, you tend to get punched in the nose occassionally. Then you wonder why that happened.

Of course this forum gives you the false courage to throw names around you wouldn't dare use to people in real life.

Go ahead...take your best shot. I'm done wasting my time on this.

Hypo meets crit.

"Dumb" meets "ass"

it's really simple logic that when you call people names walking down the street, which you and the op did, you tend to get punched in the nose occassionally. Then you wonder why that happened.

Of course this forum gives you the false courage to throw names around you wouldn't dare use to people in real life.

ERM...you name called first...so...this is invalid. And I never said anybody was close minded til you put me in a category and dismissed my opinion.

Then you called me a hypocrite. If you aren't close minded then mind what you say because you came across that way.

• Like 1

I never intended my post to imply that Rush's prog music wasn't influential. Yes, they helped lay down the foundation of prog metal, whatever that is! Popular music genres and sub-genres are so intertwined and confusing.

• Like 1

Hypo meets crit.

"Dumb" meets "ass"

ERM...you name called first...so...this is invalid. And I never said anybody was close minded til you put me in a category and dismissed my opinion.

Then you called me a hypocrite. If you aren't close minded then mind what you say because you came across that way.

Show me the post where I name called first and I'll apologize.

Good luck finding it because I never resorted to name calling.

I would expect a likewise apology for your name calling, but i'll be shocked if it happens.

Are fans close minded as well for not enjoying the worst of the nineties? What makes the synth era so special but other era's weaker?

At this moment in time, my favourite Rush records to play are the heavier ones, the CoS's and the VT's. But when I am in the mood for eighties Rush, HYF is all I need.

To say anybody is close minded is to imply you are superior.

To me, this means only one thing:

EAT MY POO

we're trying to debate this based on the merits of the argument.

but the synth lovers are throwing 'ignorant' and 'close minded' our way.

Is that the best argument you have?

But then again that's coming from a Pop Tart that's loves ABBA, Bon Jovi and No Doubt.

Check the reaction to this tour with out any synthy period stuff...absolutely in love. Last tour.....ewwwwww....what's with all the Power windows crap?

And the implication of this post is that any fan who enjoys pop music cannot have a valid opinion.

And I never once said anybody was closeminded, I said those who call others closeminded, such as the OP, must think they are superior.

Then you responded by implying my music interests are laughable, and resorted to namecalling. Sure, the name is not offensive but the tone in which it was used was and you got right under my skin for no other reason other than you just did.

Then you called me a hypocrite.

But then you implied I started this.

Are fans close minded as well for not enjoying the worst of the nineties? What makes the synth era so special but other era's weaker?

At this moment in time, my favourite Rush records to play are the heavier ones, the CoS's and the VT's. But when I am in the mood for eighties Rush, HYF is all I need.

EAT MY POO

But then again that's coming from a Pop Tart that's loves ABBA, Bon Jovi and No Doubt.

Check the reaction to this tour with out any synthy period stuff...absolutely in love. Last tour.....ewwwwww....what's with all the Power windows crap?

And the implication of this post is that any fan who enjoys pop music cannot have a valid opinion.

And I never once said anybody was closeminded, I said those who call others closeminded, such as the OP, must think they are superior.

Then you responded by implying my music interests are laughable, and resorted to namecalling. Sure, the name is not offensive but the tone in which it was used was and you got right under my skin for no other reason other than you just did.

Segue......bud.......don't feed the troll.

Mick

• Like 2

EAT MY POO

chicken meet egg.

EAT MY POO

Mick

Done.

I shall go soak my sorrows in some hardcore black metal.

who am I kidding...Springsteen!

• Like 2

EAT MY POO

Mick

But he's a Pop Tart! He can't help but feed the troll! Get it??!! He's an actual Pop Tart!

• Like 2

Personally, I think that as an embellishment they were fine....before they went too crazy with them, it was a nice change, gave Al a little rest, and added something to their sound...but then they just went over the top with them, and it got to be TOO much...almost like they were "THIS CLOSE" to adding that 4th member to sit up there on stage and play keys...

Keyboards have their place, but when they got to be prominent, it was a little over the top for me!

• Like 1