only 11 years from 2112 to Hold Your Fire

Rushman14

A Farewell to Kings, and Hemispheres

vs

Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Signals, and Grace Under Pressure

...Definitely going to have to say that 80's is superior to the 70's

I think you've got Permanent Waves in the wrong decade there . . .

Released Jan 1 1980. I still consider it and Moving Pictures part of their 70's era, and I'm not sure why. to me the 80's era is Signals thru Presto.

About six months ago, maybe less, we argued about that for pages and pages and pages. I don't know that it was ever resolved what era Permanent Waves belonged in. Personally, I think it is half and half - one foot in the seventies and the other in the eighties. It has songs on it that herald their "new beginning" and songs on it that look back to what they were.

But Neil says that as far as he is concerned, anything before Moving Pictures is :boo hiss: . :LOL:

Yeah that thread was a joke. Permanent Waves is a 70s album because it was created in the 70s. Just because it was released one day into the 80s doesn't make it an 80s album. :) AFTK, Hemispheres and Permanent Waves were the best of Rush. After MP things started going downhill on a long slow slide.

You know that I agree with you completely.

• Like 1

My first album was Hemisperes and bought every other album on release since,except for some reason i missed Permanent Waves which i finally bought after GUP.I saw each album as a progression but HYF was slightly disappointing after PoW.Yes the longwinded epics and the kaftans had gone to be replaced by shorter concise songs and haircuts and suits.But it really annoys me that some people won't listen to anything past MP.

Rush's 70s creative period could totally beat up their 80s creative period.

No it won't.

Rush's 70's creative period has chunks of Rush's 80's creative in it's stool.

That is disgusiting.

:)

Edited by fraroc
  • Like 1

Really? It all depends when you fell for them.

I learned of them around MP and Signals when I was 13-14. Acty, I remember the first time I saw them; a video on MTV for Tom Sawyer the morning after sleeping at a buddy's house.

Anyway, by P/G, I was hooked. It was my first concert at 16. The PoW came out the next year, then HYF right after that.

Point is, that's the period I fell for them. The technical reasons may be slightly different than someone from 2112 or FTK, but the emotional connection is very similar.

vs

vs

No doubt

In retrospective, :smoke:

11 years of unexpected further stage, stunning releases, sensational live Rock shows and still afore-going. :rush:

11 years...man that is pretty astounding, especially when you consider that it's been 12-13 years since Vapor Trails, and to me it barely seems like they've progressed at all since that album. Whether you liked the changes they made from 1976-1987 or not, you've got to be impressed with them.

Back then, they were like a band possessed, constantly trying to improve and learn new techniques. I remember Neil talking about how he was always trying to push his technical boundaries from album to album, so as to bring new sounds and drum patterns to each successive album. Alex said that he never thought he'd be able to play La Villa again once he recorded it the first time, and by 1980 he said he had improved so much that he could play it easily while watching T.V. I think his blistering version on Exit...Stage Left proves that. And Geddy...just listen to the tightness and complexity of Geddy's bass lines on even the verses of songs on an album like Power Windows to see how far he had progressed.

Now they pretty much always sound the same, album to album.

Oh well...I guess everybody has to get old.

damn I've never put that into perspective. but with all the changes in between it doesn't seem like as much of a drastic change.

Technically, 1980 is the last year of the 1970s.

Not really. 1980 was the last year of the eighth decade of the 20th century, all of the other years of which had 7 as their lead digit when abbreviated to two digits. The 70s, not only in popular usage but in any usage where the term means anything, consists of the years 1970 through 1979. This is the case even though, for example, the 20th century is Jan 1, 1901 through Dec. 31st, 2000, which may be the reason for some confusion.

Eleven years? WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!11

Serious, though: if if were '76 now, and some jean jacket totin', ragweed tokin' rathair was listening to a mixtape made by his or her significant-whatever who also happened to be from the future, and Tai Shan immediately followed Tears on that tape...

Serious, though: if it were '76 now, and some jean jacket totin', ragweed tokin' rathair was listening to a mixtape made by his or her significant-whatever who also happened to be from the future, and Tai Shan immediately followed Tears on that tape...

...then it would certainly need some rawk to shake it up a bit. Nineteen seventy-six, after all, and Rush...

Make no mistake, though. Insulting Rush's mellower side, I am not. I LOVE Tai Shan. And Tears.

Rush fans who dismiss the eighties synth era, and say they went downhill with Signals are half correct.

Signals was weaker than Moving Pictures, yes. But then they got better with Grace Under Pressure, a superior record to MP, shook themselves up further with the beautiful Power Windows, and then peaked with the masterful art pop of Hold Your Fire. Then they took it easy with the joyous Presto, finally going downhill after that (until the awesome Vapor Trails, anyway).

Old fans can dismiss my view and say: BUT YOU WEREN'T THERE, YOU CANNOT UNDERSTAND!

I say: you were so the problem is yours. Do not blame Rush for your closed mind.

Until Roll The Bones there was never a such thing as a bad or half bad Rush album. And there were a couple of dips, but no trenches.

And I am allowed my opinion as much as the million grey haired fans who love only the distant past, so hate on this.

(Sorry if this is aggressive).

• Like 1

^^ "Grace Under Pressure, a superior record to MP"

So VHI's "Classic Albums" episode featuring 2112 and Moving Pictures should have instead featured 2112 and GUP? Or maybe GUP and Power Windows?

You don't have to be a "gray hair" or have been there to see that MP is their crowning achievement, regardless of personal tastes. I rarely listen to it anymore but that doesn't make me deny the obvious.

• Like 1

^^ "Grace Under Pressure, a superior record to MP"

So VHI's "Classic Albums" episode featuring 2112 and Moving Pictures should have instead featured 2112 and GUP? Or maybe GUP and Power Windows?

You don't have to be a "gray hair" or have been there to see that MP is their crowning achievement, regardless of personal tastes. I rarely listen to it anymore but that doesn't make me deny the obvious.

A majority verdict doesn't mean everybody will agree.

And I think Moving Pictures is a classic album.

Technically, 1980 is the last year of the 1970s.

Was there a year 0?

No. The year after 1 BCE was 1 CE.

Well, it's referred as that now...in western culture anyway. Edited by goose

Rush is one of the few bands that I purchased new material usually right when it came out. The younger fans can't appreciate it necessarily, but listening to their albums not only takes me back musically, but also brings back memories of my life at the time the music was released.

Moving Pictures/Signals/GUP - High school

Power Windows - college (I remember sitting in the university parking lot when one of the philly radio stations first started playing "Big Money" prior to the album's release)

Presto - I had just started dating my future wife, we both went to see them on the tour

Roll the Bones - My wife and I had just purchased a home

Counterparts - My first son had just been born

... and so on. This music just transports me back to what I was thinking and feeling back in the day.

• Like 2

Serious, though: if if were '76 now, and some jean jacket totin', ragweed tokin' rathair was listening to a mixtape made by his or her significant-whatever who also happened to be from the future, and Tai Shan immediately followed Tears on that tape...

Wow what a shocker that would be! It would sound like a completely different band.. Not even another joint could make that work in my brain if that was me!

I look at it like this..

Rush's first 10 years:

Rush

Fly by Night

Caress of Steel

A Farewell to Kings

Hemispheres

Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures

Signals

Grace Under Pressure

Rush's most recent 10 years:

Snakes and Arrows

Clockwork Angels

but... They're playing better than they ever have!! :P

• Like 1

Wow what a shocker that would be! It would sound like a completely different band.. Not even another joint could make that work in my brain if that was me!

I look at it like this..

Rush's first 10 years:

Rush

Fly by Night

Caress of Steel

A Farewell to Kings

Hemispheres

Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures

Signals

Grace Under Pressure

Rush's most recent 10 years:

Snakes and Arrows

Clockwork Angels

but... They're playing better than they ever have!! :P

And Geddy's a waaaay better singer, soooo much maturity in his voice now. He's NEVER been more confident in his singing ;)
  • Like 1