only 11 years from 2112 to Hold Your Fire

Rushman14

I was looking at the discography on the new site and it dawned on me that it was only an 11 year time span between 2112 and HYF. That is an amazing amount of output and growth for one band.

That is all.

Yes. And a lot of disillusioned Rush fans!

Sucks to be them, lol i wasn't alive for most of it......i was born around Power Windows. But i love listening to that musical journey.

Mick

I remember Signals being a real shock. And by the time Grace Under Pressure was released... oh boy. And those haircuts on the back album cover! They're New Wave!!!!!! Traitors!

• Like 2

I've thought about things like this before- about how much change they went through in a relatively short period of time. You can look at individual songs, too.

Less than nine years elapsed between The Necromancer and Red Lenses.

Six and a half years between La Villa Strangiato and Emotion Detector.

And on and on...

I have to say one thing about the aforementioned 'disillusioned' Rush fans- maybe true at the time, but only as a very broad generalization. I think enough time has passed since the synth era for a lot of people to recognize that they were still writing and playing great music in the mid and late 1980s.

• Like 1

A very very different type of music between those two as well. Arguably one of Rush's heaviest records that I would say only the debut, Counterparts, VT, and CA match on that scale, then one of their most sterile.

Both have some very nice songs.

• Like 1

Sucks to be them, lol i wasn't alive for most of it......i was born around Power Windows. But i love listening to that musical journey.

Mick

I remember Signals being a real shock. And by the time Grace Under Pressure was released... oh boy. And those haircuts on the back album cover! They're New Wave!!!!!! Traitors!

Perhaps if i had been around i would have had the same reaction.........and damn the haircuts. I cringe at geddy's racoon hat style in ASOH, lol

Mick

Mick

Perhaps if i had been around i would have had the same reaction.........and damn the haircuts. I cringe at geddy's racoon hat style in ASOH, lol

Mick

Not as much as I cringe over that Wal bass.

• Like 2

At the time I remember being disillusioned. Now, I look back and appreciate what a great and challenging band Rush was and is.

I'd rather a band challenge my opinions and expectations instead of placating me.

I was disillusioned with Signals big time. But like you, I can now look back appreciate the entire discography. Though my favorite era will always be 2112 - Moving Pictures.

• Like 3

At the time I remember being disillusioned. Now, I look back and appreciate what a great and challenging band Rush was and is.

I'd rather a band challenge my opinions and expectations instead of placating me.

I was disillusioned with Signals big time. But like you, I can now look back appreciate the entire discography. Though my favorite era will always be 2112 - Moving Pictures.

I remember being disillusioned the time as well. It was like they were going mainstream and kind of going away from what made them so unique. Then they went more and more new wave which was horrible, but now looking back at it since it's not a current thing it's easier to appreciate. They've never been able to recapture the magic they had on MP and before.

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 1

Mick

And the 80s New Wave period was Rush's best.

Edited by fraroc

Mick

It was their other best.

• Like 1

Mick

It was their other best.

Nah it was pretty much their best and most creative period.

Rush's 70s creative period could totally beat up their 80s creative period.

Rush's 70's creative period has chunks of Rush's 80's creative in it's stool.

• Like 1

Rush's 70s creative period could totally beat up their 80s creative period.

Rush's 70's creative period has chunks of Rush's 80's creative in it's stool.

Gross . . . but, yeah.

A Farewell to Kings, and Hemispheres

vs

Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Signals, and Grace Under Pressure

...Definitely going to have to say that 80's is superior to the 70's

I think you've got Permanent Waves in the wrong decade there . . .

• Like 3

:o You blasphemer!!

;)

mumble mumble wurfel wurfel....I can't believe I had to come back and edit this post to make sure no one took me seriously....wurfel wurfel mumble mumble

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

vs

Released Jan 1 1980. I still consider it and Moving Pictures part of their 70's era, and I'm not sure why. to me the 80's era is Signals thru Presto.

vs

Released Jan 1 1980. I still consider it and Moving Pictures part of their 70's era, and I'm not sure why. to me the 80's era is Signals thru Presto.

About six months ago, maybe less, we argued about that for pages and pages and pages. I don't know that it was ever resolved what era Permanent Waves belonged in. Personally, I think it is half and half - one foot in the seventies and the other in the eighties. It has songs on it that herald their "new beginning" and songs on it that look back to what they were.

But Neil says that as far as he is concerned, anything before Moving Pictures is :boo hiss: . :LOL:

vs

About six months ago, maybe less, we argued about that for pages and pages and pages. I don't know that it was ever resolved what era Permanent Waves belonged in. Personally, I think it is half and half - one foot in the seventies and the other in the eighties. It has songs on it that herald their "new beginning" and songs on it that look back to what they were.

But Neil says that as far as he is concerned, anything before Moving Pictures is :boo hiss: . :LOL:

Neil needs to lay off the Macallan :)

• Like 3

vs

Yeah that thread was a joke. Permanent Waves is a 70s album because it was created in the 70s. Just because it was released one day into the 80s doesn't make it an 80s album. :) AFTK, Hemispheres and Permanent Waves were the best of Rush. After MP things started going downhill on a long slow slide.

• Like 2