"Counterparts" - What do you really think of this album?

Lorraine

I own lots of 'grunge' albums but don't own Whitesnake. But here's a little Australian band called The Celibate Rifles with a song that sounds like something else that all you 'grunge' fans will recognize, especially the last minute or so, listen from 4:38. Kurt Cobain and plagiarism.

https://www.youtube....E1F4FC69A5B6291

Edited by tas7

I like "Speed of Love" and "Everyday Glory". As I said, I was never too much into this album. What I find interesting is that Speed of Love, the one I like, is the one least liked by fans of this album.
  • Like 2

Regarding Cunterfarts, the only descent songs are:

1) Enema8

2) Dick is Out

3) Ho-buddy's Queer-O

4) Cuddle Gay Gent

The rest is almost as bad as the majority of Incest Whore Gecko.

:tsk: Some of your other posts were at least moderately funny, but here you've crossed over into trying way too hard. When you try too hard, especially by pouring on the crudity, people get bored and don't care anymore, and then you're not even offending them. That defeats the purpose.

Trying dialling it back a little for greater trolling success :yes: :LOL:

• Like 1

Regarding Cunterfarts, the only descent songs are:

1) Enema8

2) Dick is Out

3) Ho-buddy's Queer-O

4) Cuddle Gay Gent

The rest is almost as bad as the majority of Incest Whore Gecko.

:tsk: Some of your other posts were at least moderately funny, but here you've crossed over into trying way too hard. When you try too hard, especially by pouring on the crudity, people get bored and don't care anymore, and then you're not even offending them. That defeats the purpose.

Trying dialling it back a little for greater trolling success :yes: :LOL:

:goodone: except for the first ten words, but even that can be excused by a perceived need for excessive kindness.

I like "Speed of Love" and "Everyday Glory". As I said, I was never too much into this album. What I find interesting is that Speed of Love, the one I like, is the one least liked by fans of this album.

Both of those tunes are understated musical gems. Lyrically they suffer from cliche, but musically they're some of the best, most melodic on the album.

• Like 1

I like Counterparts, I don't love it. But Speed Of Love is one of my favourites as well!

Counterparts is growing on me. I think it is possibly the oddest Rush album out their, in terms of Rushiness. Animate, Double Agent, Between Sun And Moon and Nobody's Hero are just so not the Rush I recognise from any if their albums, before, or since!

• Like 1

It does grow on you. The more you listen to it, the better it sounds. I think Speed of Love is a corny song and I am embarrassed to even admit to myself how much I like it. But I really do love the song. There's a part that starts at about the 3:00 mark and lasts for maybe forty or less seconds - when the tempo really picks up. Too bad they didn't make the whole song based on those chords - or whatever it is you call those things - notes? Who knows? It is all just music to me. :) I leave the technicalities to the experts. :cool:

Note to GM - "greater trolling success" - as Segue would put it - LOLsies! :laughing guy: :laughing guy: :laughing guy:

It does grow on you. The more you listen to it, the better it sounds. I think Speed of Love is a corny song and I am embarrassed to even admit to myself how much I like it. But I really do love the song. There's a part that starts at about the 3:00 mark and lasts for maybe forty or less seconds - when the tempo really picks up. Too bad they didn't make the whole song based on those chords - or whatever it is you call those things - notes? Who knows? It is all just music to me. :) I leave the technicalities to the experts. :cool:

Note to GM - "greater trolling success" - as Segue would put it - LOLsies! :laughing guy: :laughing guy: :laughing guy:

The Speed of Love is grossly underrated around here. Don't be embarrassed! It's a prog rock masterpiece, even the lyrics aren't terrible,
  • Like 2

The Speed of Love is grossly underrated around here. Don't be embarrassed! It's a prog rock masterpiece, even the lyrics aren't terrible,

What is prog about it?

What is prog about it?

mainly the atmospheric feel the synths give it, and Alex's chord structures

What is prog about it?

mainly the atmospheric feel the synths give it, and Alex's chord structures

It's as proggy as Van Halen's "Jump" then...

Hmmmm, I don't know about that. I would say Counterparts is definitely more progressive than FBN. With the exceptions of Anthem and Bytor (maaaaybe Rivendell) FBN is pretty much a typical 70s rock album

And Counterparts is pretty much a typical 90s alternative rock album.

There is not really single song on this album I care for much and would include in a "best of" collection. Animate is probably the best, but still nothing more than decent. The songwriting is just incredibly generic and boring and the good production doesn't make it any better. It doesn't even sound like Rush to me; I mean if Geddy didn't sing, I would probably think it's some other band with a bit of Rush influence here and there. I don't think it's their worst album (that title still goes to RTB), but easily second worst. Test for Echo was pretty "meh" too, but at least it was a somewhat progressive and just more Rush again.

Of course some might argue that the debut album has even more generic songwriting, however it contains so much youthful power and drive that it makes up for that (especially live versions with Neil).

• Like 1

I think sonically it is one of Rush's best recordings.

I absolutely loved Neil's drums and Alex's tone on this one. This is also the last album Neil played with his older approach.

The album has many stand out tracks…and while I understand the sessions were at times quite strenuous for the band, they really shredded on this record. And it was a long time coming.

Animate

Cut To The Chase

Between Sun and Moon

Alien Shore

Leave That Thing Alone

Cold Fire

Double Agent

Everyday Glory

All really strong Rush tunes in my book. That's 8 strong.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 1

Hmmmm, I don't know about that. I would say Counterparts is definitely more progressive than FBN. With the exceptions of Anthem and Bytor (maaaaybe Rivendell) FBN is pretty much a typical 70s rock album

And Counterparts is pretty much a typical 90s alternative rock album.

There is not really single song on this album I care for much and would include in a "best of" collection. Animate is probably the best, but still nothing more than decent. The songwriting is just incredibly generic and boring and the good production doesn't make it any better. It doesn't even sound like Rush to me; I mean if Geddy didn't sing, I would probably think it's some other band with a bit of Rush influence here and there. I don't think it's their worst album (that title still goes to RTB), but easily second worst. Test for Echo was pretty "meh" too, but at least it was a somewhat progressive and just more Rush again.

Of course some might argue that the debut album has even more generic songwriting, however it contains so much youthful power and drive that it makes up for that (especially live versions with Neil).

Haha.. Alternative? A typical alternative 90s album? So Rush sounds like Janes Addiction on Counterparts?

This thread is hilarious... Rush is both Grunge and Alternative with Counterparts..

I think people need to step outside their comfort zones and go listen to some college radio tunes.. Rush is NOT alternative in any way, shape it form with Counterparts ..

• Like 3

I've found the opposite to be true. The sound and production were such advances, I loved this album on first listen. But the songs never grew on me, I found myself making excuses for the lyrics, and eventually I got to a point were I'll skip all but 3 songs. I try and listen to the album at least once a year, but I'm starting to think that's a waste of time.

• Like 1

the album has grown off me as well. I like it about as much as I always did (so around a 3.5 out of 5) but it's not an album I can come back to again and again like a lot of their other ones Edited by bathory

Lolsies!

• Like 1

Counterparts is better than Test For Echo and Roll The Bones for sure, and is arguably better than Hold Your Fire and Snakes & Arrows (the latter two suffering from imbalances between brilliance and mediocrity from song to song).
  • Like 2

I just watched them do Animate on "Project R30 NY" - I don't know that they should attempt it now. He was having some trouble singing certain parts of the song back then.

That's Ok,

Just play LTTA! :D :rush:

I just watched them do Animate on "Project R30 NY" - I don't know that they should attempt it now. He was having some trouble singing certain parts of the song back then.

I wouldn't worry too much, Ged could pull Animate off without too much trouble. I think they'll for sure play it
  • Like 1

I wouldn't worry too much, Ged could pull Animate off without too much trouble. I think they'll for sure play it

Would love to hear Animate again. Neil kills it live.

• Like 1

I think you are right. The show I watched was the first of the last two shows of the tour. I am sure he was sung out by that point.