"Counterparts" - What do you really think of this album?

Lorraine

It''s shittier than used toilet paper.

Dreadful, dreadful album with not a single redeeming feature.

Not even one song?

Nope, not a one. It's the least progressive album they have done since their debut.

Shiny shite.

Hmmmm, I don't know about that. I would say Counterparts is definitely more progressive than FBN. With the exceptions of Anthem and Bytor (maaaaybe Rivendell) FBN is pretty much a typical 70s rock album

Opinions are like farts.

we all have them and they stink.

Segue, has anyone ever told you that you have quite a unique way of coining phrases and putting them together to make a sentence?

Yes! Lol I also take things too far on a daily basis...

• Like 1

Second favorite Rush studio album...

Now you've got me wondering what the first one is.

If you're like me you put Grace Under Pressure at the top, only swapped it with Counterparts.

Opinions are like farts.

Segue, has anyone ever told you that you have quite a unique way of coining phrases and putting them together to make a sentence?

Not to call him out or anything, but that phrase isn't original lol it's a quote

• Like 1

I love it,

The band got back to a heavier sound that I think they needed to do at that point of their career. "Cut To The Chase" kicks some serious a**! :haz: :rush:

Edited by troutman
  • Like 2

Opinions are like farts.

Not to call him out or anything, but that phrase isn't original lol it's a quote

Well, young man, I never heard it before. I've heard variations of it, but not quite put the way Segue put it. :)

• Like 1

Opinions are like farts.

Say, are you accusing Segue of being a plagiarist? :LOL:

Opinions are like farts.

Say, are you accusing Segue of being a plagiarist? :LOL:

No offence guys...I thought I randomly made this up lol! If not o well!

At the end of the day, no matter what any of us think about this or any other album, always remember all these songs once were were a bunch of words scribbled on a sheet of paper by Neil. What you hear and listen to is literally a creation of three incredibly talented men. Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

Opinions are like farts.

But Tony's stink more than the rest. ;)
  • Like 2

I didn't like Counterparts at first. The sound was a little too stripped down for me, plus I was into alternative style music at that time and had moved on from Rush (I came back eventually).

It was a great return to their power trio roots and one of the better sounding drum albums, in my opinion. I get so lost in the middle section of Animate when I listen to it that I'm just a swarm of goosebumps listening to Geddy sing those lyrics over that syncopated drum section with Alex adding that emotional guitar in there. Animate is clearly my favorite song from the album. As a whole it works on some levels and not on others. It isn't really a complete effort and I feel as though they are unstoppable on some tracks and others they are trying to find a direction for the record. I'd be curious to know what order the tracks were recorded in.

Fav songs: Animate, Between Sun & Moon, Everyday Glory, Stick it Out, Leave that Thing Alone.

• Like 2

B S&M is the best Song, its solid, its Blues, its Rocky, simple straight good lyrics (though never under understood the "yes to yes why the sun")

But its so them, so Ged, Alex & Pratt all over it, flowing smooth and confident, awesome recording

The whole álbum is amazing but this Song floats discretely above all

• Like 1

I love the production, especially Neils drum sound..

IMO the production is audio perfection, and dear god the drums sound sweet.

I wish recent Rush albums sounded this good...

• Like 3

I could never, ever get into this album. I can appreciate Alex's work (it's an Alex album, as opposed to Power Windows, for example, which is a Geddy album) but really, the songs do nothing for me. There are many CP lovers here and when they express their love I always feel left out. But really, try as I might, I could never develop feelings for it.
  • Like 2

At the end of the day, no matter what any of us think about this or any other album, always remember all these songs once were were a bunch of words scribbled on a sheet of paper by Neil. What you hear and listen to is literally a creation of three incredibly talented men.

Their shit is still shit at the end of the day.

• Like 1

Because of this thread, I played it yesterday. I think it has the potential to grow on me! I really enjoyed it. Cold Fire, Everyday Glory and Animate really stood out as the best songs, for once Double Agent didn't take the spotlight!

Will play again soon to see if it gets even better!

• Like 1

Because of this thread, I played it yesterday. I think it has the potential to grow on me! I really enjoyed it. Cold Fire, Everyday Glory and Animate really stood out as the best songs, for once Double Agent didn't take the spotlight!

Will play again soon to see if it gets even better!

It does have a tendency to grow on you. But it is still no AFTK.

• Like 1