"Counterparts" - What do you really think of this album?

Lorraine

Favorite Rush album. It was their first truly great album for me since Power Windows and it's especially welcome after the horrible stretch of HYF-RTB. Love the first 5 tracks, one of the best instrumentals they have, and Cold Fire and Everyday Glory are great. Double Agent and Alien Shore are fun and goofy numbers to jam to on guitar, especially Double Agent. Speed of Love, while forgettable compared to the rest of the album, isn't a bad tune either.
  • Like 3

I wish that for their final album they would aim for something along the lines of AFTK. Maybe an album like that is a once in a lifetime one.

I was quite please with their last effort. What other band has produced a record of that quality, this late in their carreers?

The answer? No one. If they have another album in them, if it come anywhere close to the quality of Clockwork Angels, I'll be ecstatic! :banana:

Don't get me wrong. There is not one Rush album that I despise - there is always a redeeming song or three or four on each album.

But, Snowdog, CA doesn't come close to AFTK in my book.

RTB is a pop/rock masterpiece. Man i freakin' adore that record.

I have to put it on now.

Mick

I agree, but in the nineties Toto did the whole pop/rock shebang better with Tambu...

*proceeds to duck from flying missiles*

Segue!!! Must you bring Toto into every Rush discussion????

Heaven help us all if we ever have a wizard of Oz topic somewhere, lol

Mick

• Like 2

I have to put it on now.

Mick

I agree, but in the nineties Toto did the whole pop/rock shebang better with Tambu...

So tell me, your favourite Rush song...Xanadu, is it??

Also...you share your name with a Toto song...lolsies!

• Like 2

I have to put it on now.

Mick

So tell me, your favourite Rush song...Xanadu, is it??

Also...you share your name with a Toto song...lolsies!

Lolsies? :LOL: :lol: :LOL:

• Like 1

I have to put it on now.

Mick

Mick

Lets just say I won't be keen on staying in Kansas territory...

• Like 1

I have to put it on now.

Mick

Mick

Lets just say I won't be keen on staying in Kansas territory...

Nice lol :LOL:

Mick

• Like 1

Radio certainly doesn't recognize this album being worth much either. No matter how many Rush "blocks" the "classic rock" station plays, I can't recall any tracks from this album qualifying for a spin. I mean even "One little victory" and "Show don't tell" have gotten a spin here and there. Counterparts, and of course COS, have never gotten any love, or so it seems.
  • Like 2

I wish that for their final album they would aim for something along the lines of AFTK. Maybe an album like that is a once in a lifetime one.

I was quite please with their last effort. What other band has produced a record of that quality, this late in their carreers?

The answer? No one. If they have another album in them, if it come anywhere close to the quality of Clockwork Angels, I'll be ecstatic! :banana:

Don't get me wrong. There is not one Rush album that I despise - there is always a redeeming song or three or four on each album.

No, it doesn't. The span of 2112 through Power Windows is on a different plateau then everything else. And how many albums have stuff as strong as Cygnus and Xanadu? :notworthy:
  • Like 2

CP is their best 90s album. The return of heavy guitar and bass. RTB was thin and dull. The writing on CP is more inspired and the performances more purposeful. They started changing their mode of operation with this album. This tour was the first one not to feature a first song from most albums but included Prelude (probably for the last time). Animate, Sun & Moon, Double Agent, Leave That Thing Alone and Everyday Glory are exceptional tracks. Overall this represents Rush getting back to being Rush after taking the edge off in the 80s. TFE is good but is the first of the "crushed to sh!t" sonic turds culminating in VT and CA. CP has some headroom.

Radio certainly doesn't recognize this album being worth much either. No matter how many Rush "blocks" the "classic rock" station plays, I can't recall any tracks from this album qualifying for a spin. I mean even "One little victory" and "Show don't tell" have gotten a spin here and there. Counterparts, and of course COS, have never gotten any love, or so it seems.

Radio has no credibility with me. That is why I have Sirius in each of my cars. FM radio is so pethetically bad.

I actually heard Finding My Way on the Bone Yard this morning on my ride into work. :haz:

No, it doesn't. The span of 2112 through Power Windows is on a different plateau then everything else. And how many albums have stuff as strong as Cygnus and Xanadu? :notworthy:

If you want to know the truth, I hate to criticize anything they do because I know that they put their heart and soul into every album and nothing short of perfect is good enough for them.

I don't think, in my almost sixty years, I ever respected a band more than I do Rush.

I used to hate it for quite awhile, but in recent months it has really grown on me and I now love it! Animate, Nobody's Hero, and Everyday Glory are probably my favorites, but I think every song is fantastic. Although I would say that Roll the Bones takes the title of "Best 90s Rush album"
  • Like 2

If you want to know the truth, I hate to criticize anything they do because I know that they put their heart and soul into every album and nothing short of perfect is good enough for them.

I don't think, in my almost sixty years, I ever respected a band more than I do Rush.

They are amazing.

I don't have a problem criticizing...there is no denying that the quality of each album is not the same. I just don't understand how someone could say that a Rush album is complete crap. Even the debut, without the influence of Neil, is a bad ass record. It certainly doesn't measure up to much of the catalog, but when measured on it's own merit (or compared to everything else out there), its one kick ass record. I've heard a lot of people crap on HYF, Presto, and RTB...but each of those albums have some absolutely magical work on them. But put them up against AFWTK or Moving Pictures, and yes...they fall short...but that doesn't make them bad albums in my book. :finbar:

• Like 1

This might sound weird, but is there anyone else here that Alex's guitar gets to? What I mean is that what he plays seems to get under my skin and go straight to my heart - instant chills.

There are moments where each of them has a passage that just blows me away.

If you don't feel something from Alex's playing during La Villa, you have no ear for music.

• Like 4

Cold Fire is amazing! Just played this album again...
  • Like 2

It''s shittier than used toilet paper.

Dreadful, dreadful album with not a single redeeming feature.

Not even one song?

Nope, not a one. It's the least progressive album they have done since their debut.

Shiny shite.

Opinions are like farts.

we all have them and they stink.

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 2

I liked Counterparts . I liked it so much I actually went to go see them live. The first time since signals. and I LOVE Alien Shore.LTTA is my favorite track .
  • Like 3