"Counterparts" - What do you really think of this album?

Lorraine

To be honest, I think Presto through to T4E is a very underrated album streak. Not as good as my favourite streak, CoS to MP, or Signals through to PoW (HYF I am still making my nind over), but I really enjoy those four albums. Patchy, yes, but overall full if excellence and CP perhaps has the most going for it! Not really a classic album, but for what it is (a commercial rock album) it is enjoyable!

Segue, I agree with you.

Yay! Is CP still a top five effort for you?

As of today, yes. And in case you are wondering, Snakes & Arrows is still at the bottom. I don't know that I can ever again bring myself to listen to that seemingly endless album all the way through. But, who knows? In a year, it might be one of my top five! :)

I am not a fan of SA, it has no purpose except to last longer than the directors cut of Cleopatra. Some awesome moments, but I wouldn't miss it if it got lost.

Ben-Hur is one of my all time favorite movies. In light of that fact, you will please take note of the change I made in your post. ;)

Gone With The Wind AND Ben Hur are two of my favourite films.

My jibe was at the overwhelming length of SA, and the length of that epic. Not the films quality. Sooo...I have made a further ammendment...

• Like 1

Radio certainly doesn't recognize this album being worth much either. No matter how many Rush "blocks" the "classic rock" station plays, I can't recall any tracks from this album qualifying for a spin. I mean even "One little victory" and "Show don't tell" have gotten a spin here and there. Counterparts, and of course COS, have never gotten any love, or so it seems.

Not since 1993. I remember hearing "Stick it Out" on the radio during that time. It actually got heavy airplay if you can believe it.

When it was released, Nobody's Hero got a bit of play as well.

And I still hear Bastille Day and Lakeside Park on the radio.

I get the usuals like TSOR, Tom Sawyer, Limelight, and Freewill. Once in a blue moon they'll pull out Subdivisions or Red Barchetta, and I caught the single version of 2112 once. About 5 years ago they put Test For Echo on the radio.

My active rock radio station still plays Headlong Flight on regular rotation, 2 years after a 40 year old band released it. Really shows the staying power of that song :haz:

There's definitely a place in my heart for Counterparts. As a long-time fan who was getting a bit bummed out by the poppy stuff they were writing, I was overjoyed to hear some crunchy guitar riffs (and an acoustic guitar centred tune). I think the guitar solos are imaginative, and I think the songs are decently catchy. I do skip "Speed of Love," which doesn't seem to fit the rest of the album.

Although saying it didn't do well, if I remember rightly isn't CP the bands highest charting album up to that point?

Yes, for first week sales (not number of units). Thank RTB for that.

Radio certainly doesn't recognize this album being worth much either. No matter how many Rush "blocks" the "classic rock" station plays, I can't recall any tracks from this album qualifying for a spin. I mean even "One little victory" and "Show don't tell" have gotten a spin here and there. Counterparts, and of course COS, have never gotten any love, or so it seems.

Not since 1993. I remember hearing "Stick it Out" on the radio during that time. It actually got heavy airplay if you can believe it.

When it was released, Nobody's Hero got a bit of play as well.

And I still hear Bastille Day and Lakeside Park on the radio.

I get the usuals like TSOR, Tom Sawyer, Limelight, and Freewill. Once in a blue moon they'll pull out Subdivisions or Red Barchetta, and I caught the single version of 2112 once. About 5 years ago they put Test For Echo on the radio.

My active rock radio station still plays Headlong Flight on regular rotation, 2 years after a 40 year old band released it. Really shows the staying power of that song :haz:

I don't get Headlong Flight, but I do get Working Man, Fly By Night, Closer to the Heart, The Trees, and Dreamline.