Neil gives us a little info on upcoming Rush CD

Camera Eye82

QUOTE (troutman @ Jan 13 2010, 09:05 PM)
QUOTE (CygXanTor @ Jan 13 2010, 06:56 PM)
QUOTE (troutman @ Jan 13 2010, 10:29 PM)
QUOTE (CygXanTor @ Jan 13 2010, 06:24 PM)
QUOTE (troutman @ Jan 13 2010, 09:56 PM)
QUOTE (CygXanTor @ Jan 13 2010, 05:46 PM)
QUOTE (troutman @ Jan 13 2010, 09:31 PM)
Sweeeeet.. a summer tour!! 1022.gif  653.gif  I don't care how many songs they make. Now I have a chance of seeing them again live. biggrin.gif I do have one problem though. Do I  go on my annual Steelhead fishing trip or bag it for  2.gif  unsure.gif  tongue.gif

TM, you won't like the big show with all those lights, lasers and spectacle anyway, so just plan on your fishing trip. Hope ya catch some big ones... pokey.gif tongue.gif rofl3.gif

laugh.gif I never said I didn't like the lasers. It's just not that important to me. biggrin.gif

Mr. Krinkle makes a good point. I am leaning towards the concert! tongue.gif

For something that's "not that important" to you, you sure made alot of noise about it in my "Why Only Green Lasers?" thread. confused13.gif

OH gees... let it go. Because if it weren't for the music there wouldn't be any lasers eyesre4.gif rofl3.gif

Now move on biggrin.gif

Oh, now you want to let it go??? eyesre4.gif Fine, but next time, be more careful when choosing your battles. Someone with almost 16,000 posts should know better. Just sayin'...

moon.gif Your obsession with this is beyond making any sense wacko.gif Quit hijacking this thread and go play with your "little laser" ok! wink.gif

I thought you were going to say "little lightsaber" Trout.

My bad. trink39.gif

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jan 13 2010, 09:51 PM)
Personally, I'm not a "downloader".

I definitely am a CD collector, and have always been! The CD still means alot to me...I like the physical product!

The only thing that does excite me about this style of release is that it sounds like we might get new music alot sooner, which of course, is great. Whereas with full albums, they were taking around 5 years to release it.

I still think that once the boys start putting songs together, and build up some momentum, they may just continue going and then releasing a full album. I'm still thinking positive! biggrin.gif

You and I are doomed it seems.

I'm not moaning at all. I am a purist that's all. A dinosaur perhaps, but a prehistoric prog purist for sure.

Some people on the earth still collect that vinyl disc called an LP.

I still see a shitload of new and used vinyl in the few cd stores that still exist in the Bay Area.

I think the guys in RUSH will be smart enough to cover all the music media bases too. Units sold are units sold. Cold hard cash is cold hard cash!

Everyone should be happy "IN THE END."

Damn, I love all of my Japanese Rush cd pressings!

The compact disc is still huge in Japan, so as Leia would say, that could be "my only hope."

I am sure Anthem Records will strike a deal with the Japanese Market.

I will never buy a Rush Download.

Again, the only good news here is that they will tour again.

I better start saving my "BIG MONEY."

It's going to be fun!

I don't have a problem with this. I haven't enjoyed the last 8 albums much anyway. I am hoping this will allow them the freedom to fully work on a small amount of great songs over a period of time rather then putting out a couple so-so songs with the rest of the songs on the album being mediocre. But I fully understand that even with them putting out songs digitally and few at a time, the songs can still be mediocre.

as for those moaning about the physical release: do you really stare at the cover and read the booklets that often that you want a physical copy of an LP?

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jan 14 2010, 12:15 AM)
QUOTE (troutman @ Jan 13 2010, 09:05 PM)
QUOTE (CygXanTor @ Jan 13 2010, 06:56 PM)
QUOTE (troutman @ Jan 13 2010, 10:29 PM)
QUOTE (CygXanTor @ Jan 13 2010, 06:24 PM)
QUOTE (troutman @ Jan 13 2010, 09:56 PM)
QUOTE (CygXanTor @ Jan 13 2010, 05:46 PM)
Sweeeeet.. a summer tour!! 1022.gif  653.gif  I don't care how many songs they make. Now I have a chance of seeing them again live. biggrin.gif I do have one problem though. Do I  go on my annual Steelhead fishing trip or bag it for  2.gif  unsure.gif  tongue.gif

TM, you won't like the big show with all those lights, lasers and spectacle anyway, so just plan on your fishing trip. Hope ya catch some big ones... pokey.gif tongue.gif rofl3.gif

laugh.gif I never said I didn't like the lasers. It's just not that important to me. biggrin.gif

Mr. Krinkle makes a good point. I am leaning towards the concert! tongue.gif

For something that's "not that important" to you, you sure made alot of noise about it in my "Why Only Green Lasers?" thread. confused13.gif

OH gees... let it go. Because if it weren't for the music there wouldn't be any lasers eyesre4.gif rofl3.gif

Now move on biggrin.gif

Oh, now you want to let it go??? eyesre4.gif Fine, but next time, be more careful when choosing your battles. Someone with almost 16,000 posts should know better. Just sayin'...

moon.gif Your obsession with this is beyond making any sense wacko.gif Quit hijacking this thread and go play with your "little laser" ok! wink.gif

I thought you were going to say "little lightsaber" Trout.

My bad. trink39.gif

TM, What doesn't make sense is why you went off when I asked a simple question.(?) Your responses and arguements had nothing to do with the topic, yet you persisted. Obviously you were just starting shit, and the only mistake I made was in falling for it. No more. (But that won't stop you from responding, and trying to get the last word in) confused13.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jan 14 2010, 02:23 PM)

I definitely am a CD collector, and have always been! The CD still means alot to me...I like the physical product!

The only thing that does excite me about this style of release is that it sounds like we might get new music alot sooner, which of course, is great. Whereas with full albums, they were taking around 5 years to release it.

I still think that once the boys start putting songs together, and build up some momentum, they may just continue going and then releasing a full album. I'm still thinking positive!  biggrin.gif

I'm not moaning at all. I am a purist that's all. A dinosaur perhaps, but a prehistoric prog purist for sure.

I still see a shitload of new and used vinyl in the few cd stores that still exist in the Bay Area.

I think the guys in RUSH will be smart enough to cover all the music media bases too. Units sold are units sold. Cold hard cash is cold hard cash!

The compact disc is still huge in Japan, so as Leia would say, that could be "my only hope."

It's going to be fun!

I don't know man. I don't know if you've been to any of the record shops here in Japan but Rush cds are slim pickings. And that's not from selling out of the cds...it's from them not being sold in shops (aside from Tower Records or something major like that).

And these Japanese Rush cd pressings you're talking about...what exactly are they/what makes them special? I've bought a few Rush cds out here and didn't notice anything too special other than an extra inserted page of liner notes in Japanese

Sweeeeet.. a summer tour!! 1022.gif 653.gif I don't care how many songs they make. Now I have a chance of seeing them again live. biggrin.gif I do have one problem though. Do I go on my annual Steelhead fishing trip or bag it for 2.gif unsure.gif tongue.gif

You know you would rather see Lady Ga Ga

QUOTE (Xanadude69 @ Jan 14 2010, 12:25 AM)
I don't have a problem with this. I haven't enjoyed the last 8 albums much anyway. I am hoping this will allow them the freedom to fully work on a small amount of great songs over a period of time rather then putting out a couple so-so songs with the rest of the songs on the album being mediocre. But I fully understand that even with them putting out songs digitally and few at a time, the songs can still be mediocre.

as for those moaning about the physical release: do you really stare at the cover and read the booklets that often that you want a physical copy of an LP?

It makes me wonder if somewhere there's a guy who quit listening to his favorite band because they stopped releasing 8-tracks.

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jan 13 2010, 11:51 PM)

I still think that once the boys start putting songs together, and build up some momentum, they may just continue going and then releasing a full album. I'm still thinking positive! biggrin.gif

One of the upsides to downloading songs... I remember the days when I would spend $15 on a CD just to get one song I liked. Now I can download a song for a buck, and skip all the needless filler.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jan 13 2010, 10:32 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jan 14 2010, 02:23 PM)

I still think that once the boys start putting songs together, and build up some momentum, they may just continue going and then releasing a full album. I'm still thinking positive!  biggrin.gif

It's going to be fun!

I don't know man. I don't know if you've been to any of the record shops here in Japan but Rush cds are slim pickings. And that's not from selling out of the cds...it's from them not being sold in shops (aside from Tower Records or something major like that).

And these Japanese Rush cd pressings you're talking about...what exactly are they/what makes them special? I've bought a few Rush cds out here and didn't notice anything too special other than an extra inserted page of liner notes in Japanese

Hey Blaze!

You make a very good argument!

The thing about Japan is that they only press so many copies and then the instantly go out of print!

It's a long story but going all the way back to the 1997 Japan Rush Remasters is a start.

Anthem did a Japanese reissue before that too with the black obi strip with red text.

There are early Rush pressings to on EPIC. It's insane collecting dude.

I have all of the Rush "remasters" with the white and aqua obi strip spine.

The strange thing about the remasters in Japan is that they did not press the live albums:

ATWAS, Exit and A Show Of Hands. The USA did.

Well the newest bag of tricks which I am sure you know of were the Japanese SHM Rush remasters.

Now it's still the old remaster done in SHM technology, but the cool thing about the latest reissues is that they are done in mini cardboard lp replica sleeves. They are incredible for just the packaging alone.

I know a lot of people on here were not willing to cough up the coin for these, but addicts like me are "Ready An' Willin'," to quote a Whitesnake album title.

All of my Japanese connections are via the Internet. I am always buying my goods from Japan. Maybe I am being fooled. Perhaps the cool used cd shops in Japan are drying up and dying out too.

From my end of things here in the States, it seems the Japanese compact disc world is still thriving from the Underground perhaps! Or should I say Cyberworld?

Hope this post makes sense! I've been collecting Japanese pressings for decades.

Even before the Internet I had my Goldmine Magazine. Lot's of Japanese sellers were in there!

Cheers!

trink39.gif

Wow.Noone has mentioned the simple fact that downloads/Mp3's are an inferior sounding format.I just can't get with that thin lifeless compressed sound.To me the difference is painfully obvious.I'd much rather have vinyl or a cd as an option.

Other than that I hope the guys feel inspired by their new found freedom and hopefully they'll write some fresh epic badaass songs.Fingers crossed,but I ain't holding my breath either.

I'll probably check out the tour as it will probably be their last one.Gotta say it's even a little surprising that these dudes are still eager to tour in their late 50's.That's pretty cool if you ask me.

QUOTE (Xanadude69 @ Jan 14 2010, 12:25 AM)

You bet your life! smile.gif

One of my rituals for 33 years of getting a new Rush album has been going home, putting on the headphones and reading the accompanying lyric sheet for the first full listening. Looking at the artwork and the album design is also part of the whole album to me.

Either way it's all good so stop all the moaning and save your pennies because it's Rush roadtrip time. We can all get together and swill copious amounts of beer and hang out and watch the greatest band on the planet. trink39.gif What better way to spend your summer yes.gif

QUOTE (oldphilly @ Jan 13 2010, 11:04 PM)
Wow.Noone has mentioned the simple fact that downloads/Mp3's are an inferior sounding format.I just can't get with that thin lifeless compressed sound.To me the difference is painfully obvious.I'd much rather have vinyl or a cd as an option.

Other than that I hope the guys feel inspired by their new found freedom and hopefully they'll write some fresh epic badaass songs.Fingers crossed,but I ain't holding my breath either.

I'll probably check out the tour as it will probably be their last one.Gotta say it's even a little surprising that these dudes are still eager to tour in their late 50's.That's pretty cool if you ask me.

I agree. They sound like utter SHITE! It's like trying to listen to a corpse breathe.

Compressed poop. Might as well listen to a garbage can lid rattling around in a winter storm.

Having two beautiful daughters and a wife who likes the same stuff the girls do, I have hear their horrible music all the time on the weekends. Well a lot of it is MP3 compression.

No warmth in the bass, and no clear highs. Muddled garbage.

Signed,

Oscar The Grouch

The clear point of reference for this should be NIN's Ghosts I-IV. You can download it for free in lower-quality MP3 files, pay $5 to download it in whatever bitrate you want including FLAC, pay $10 for a CD, and then there are various deluxe collector's packages for considerably more money than that.

I can't even remember the last time I bought a CD so I'm not at all heartbroken about that, even though I would most definitely buy this new Rush release if they did put out a physical copy, since I have all their other studio and live albums and I might as well keep the collection complete, Rush being my favorite band and all.

Either way, new music and tour in 2010 can only be a good thing.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jan 14 2010, 01:30 AM)

I'll probably check out the tour as it  will probably be their last one.Gotta say it's even a little surprising that these dudes are still eager  to tour  in their late 50's.That's pretty cool if you ask me.

I agree. They sound like utter SHITE! It's like trying to listen to a corpse breathe.

Compressed poop. Might as well listen to a garbage can lid rattling around in a winter storm.

Having two beautiful daughters and a wife who likes the same stuff the girls do, I have hear their horrible music all the time on the weekends. Well a lot of it is MP3 compression.

Signed,

Oscar The Grouch

goodpost.gif - couldn't agree more, dont want an EP or download, another album on CD / LP will do nicely. Please don't overcomplicate things guys, keep it simple and in album format its what you have done so well for all this time.

And the fact of the matter is every 2.gif fan will go out and buy the new album, so clearly there is enough demand to warrant one.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jan 14 2010, 12:30 AM)

I'll probably check out the tour as it  will probably be their last one.Gotta say it's even a little surprising that these dudes are still eager  to tour  in their late 50's.That's pretty cool if you ask me.

Signed,

Oscar The Grouch

that reminds me, I remember Geddy making similar comments about digital format and how it sucks, I think he was talking about file sharing at the time. interesting...

Well, I feel like I should quit kicking and screaming and welcome the "new way" too, even though my current band is releasing a full-length CD this spring. I don't see anything wrong with releasing songs a few at a time instead of waiting for a whole CD's worth of stuff to be written, recorded and released. That way we don't have to wait as long to hear some new Rush.

A 2010 Summer tour sounds awesome. I'm ready!! I hope they come to DTE in Clarkston! 1022.gif

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Jan 13 2010, 08:59 PM)
Mostly fine by me except I do not want to see it released in digital format only. I'm one of the 16 people left in the civilized world without an MP3 player, and it's not because I can't afford one. I can't get a decent hookup in the car - all that shit runs through the AM stations and in a city where most of the the frequencies are spoken for, you get a hell of a lot of static.

So I do still want to see it in CD format.

I'm with you, Mara.

Downloading on itunes or whatever is fine. but it's not going to sound as nice. Then I need to do the work -- either burn it to a CD for my car, or put it on my ipod, and I don't have a car attachment for it.

What am I going to have to spend to hear my new Rush? sad.gif

So it sounds like releasing an LP is still possible though unlikely, and they will instead just release a few songs digitally or as an EP (or both)

I'd vote both, and then I'd get the EP. Artwork doesn't have to be anything extraordinary. Any new Rush I can get at this point I'd be grateful for.

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Jan 13 2010, 06:39 PM)
I really like this idea for a band like Rush, who's been around for 40 years now. I'm sure I am in the majority when I say that their last few albums have been sub-par, mainly because there's too little variation in 13 tracks and they get tiresome. Imagine if Rush makes a 6 song EP in the 35 minute range - Voila! We have essentially what Permanent Waves was. 6 very strong songs with little extraneous padding. This will (hopefully) make the guys VERY selective about which songs will be released and potentially give them greater desire to make them as strong as possible since there's basically nowhere for them to hide on a short EP.

I think this will be a good way for them to write and still stay relevant

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jan 13 2010, 08:17 PM)
I'm ok with what Neil's saying about future releases. I just hope his lyrics are on the positive/optimistic side and that the music is fresh and emotionally charging much like PermWaves and MovingPics. Shouldn't be a difficult task considering all things are up for him now! Go for it, Neil!!

Another goodpost.gif

Archived