Neil gives us a little info on upcoming Rush CD

Camera Eye82

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jan 13 2010, 11:51 PM)
Personally, I'm not a "downloader".

I definitely am a CD collector, and have always been! The CD still means alot to me...I like the physical product!

Completely agree ED, and I just had a thought......wonder if they will release an MVI like they did for Snakes & Arrows?

If so, that would be the route I would go (as I did for S&A).

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Xanadude69 @ Jan 14 2010, 12:25 AM)
as for those moaning about the physical release: do you really stare at the cover and read the booklets that often that you want a physical copy of an LP?

Yes I do. And no, we're not moaning.

I liked the Feedback album cover just fine, and it wasn't that fancy, nor were there liner notes.

But to have a physical specimen makes it FEEL like a new Rush album. It's all a part of the experience of new music to me.

As long as you can download it as a high bit rate or even a CDA type would be fine with me but mp3 ....no way. The space required on a website would be minimal....Then just market their links.........Geddy, Alex, Neil, are you listening?? I will even do it for FREE

On the other hand it might be more profitable for them by renegotiating their contract with the label company. Since they are not putting up any seed money anymore they should get less of the cut, or cut those greed infested people out of the loop totally. Heck you could even package them as inivdual tracks so a wannabe Neil Peart like me could put my drums in and play!!!(think rock band)The possibilites are endless. I believe they have the means,knowledge and resources to do this totally on their own. As long as the quality is good,im in.

I think it's human nature to be somewhat resistant to change. The security of routine is a comfort to most people.

My initial reaction this morning was that I was somewhat dissappointed. I'd hoped for a full CD... as per usual.

But if the guys can adapt to change at this stage of their careers, I can adapt too.

I'm eager to see what springs forth from this announcement.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jan 14 2010, 10:10 AM)
QUOTE (Ghostnotes @ Jan 14 2010, 10:08 AM)
On the other hand it might be more profitable for them by renegotiating their contract with the label company.

How about starting their own label? Working Men Publishing anyone?

Absolutely...the boys are at the point where they could start their own label I'm sure. That's a good point.

The one thing I will say is that above all else, what really excites me about any of this is the way Neil sounds in the interview.

He sounds inspired and extremely positive. Hell, he actually comes out mentioning TOURING even before they have anything settled in stone. He continues to push the "freedom" thing, which can only be good right?

I do look forward to new music, and I definitely look forward to the new tour as well! I just hope that maybe down the road, they do take all of these "new songs" and put them into a packaged album, as some people on here have stated.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jan 14 2010, 12:23 AM)
QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jan 13 2010, 09:51 PM)
Personally, I'm not a "downloader".

I definitely am a CD collector, and have always been! The CD still means alot to me...I like the physical product!

The only thing that does excite me about this style of release is that it sounds like we might get new music alot sooner, which of course, is great. Whereas with full albums, they were taking around 5 years to release it.

I still think that once the boys start putting songs together, and build up some momentum, they may just continue going and then releasing a full album. I'm still thinking positive!  biggrin.gif

You and I are doomed it seems.

I'm not moaning at all. I am a purist that's all. A dinosaur perhaps, but a prehistoric prog purist for sure.

Some people on the earth still collect that vinyl disc called an LP.

I still see a shitload of new and used vinyl in the few cd stores that still exist in the Bay Area.

I think the guys in RUSH will be smart enough to cover all the music media bases too. Units sold are units sold. Cold hard cash is cold hard cash!

Everyone should be happy "IN THE END."

laugh.gif

Well, that's the thing. I know some people are unhappy because they're of an older generation, and even though I'm 26, I'm still with all of you regarding the CD.

There's just something about having that physical album in your hands that makes it so special.

But yeah...above all else, I'm just happy that there is still action coming out of the RUSH camp in 2010. Very exciting indeed. yes.gif

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jan 14 2010, 10:28 AM)
The one thing I will say is that above all else, what really excites me about any of this is the way Neil sounds in the interview.

He sounds inspired and extremely positive. Hell, he actually comes out mentioning TOURING even before they have anything settled in stone. He continues to push the "freedom" thing, which can only be good right?

I sincerely hope this positivity finds it's way into upcoming lyrics!!! smile.gif

I LOVE spending hours listening to new albums while scrutinizing the album artwork and liner notes. There's something about ripping the packaging open on my way out of the store (which is a Herculean feat these days) and loading the CD as soon as I get the car started. . .

I do look forward to new music, and I definitely look forward to the new tour as well! I just hope that maybe down the road, they do take all of these "new songs" and put them into a packaged album, as some people on here have stated.

Of course this will happen. All of these new songs will eventually be packaged as 'Retrospective IV".

QUOTE (Mara @ Jan 14 2010, 10:58 AM)
I LOVE spending hours listening to new albums while scrutinizing the album artwork and liner notes. There's something about ripping the packaging open on my way out of the store (which is a Herculean feat these days) and loading the CD as soon as I get the car started. . .

goodpost.gif

That's exactly what I do...everytime. trink39.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jan 13 2010, 06:28 PM)
Personally this shit kills me being a cd addict.
No more Rush records? Just record a few songs for download only?
Guess Hugh Syme is out of a job.
This blows. dazed025.gif

So they are going to launch a new tour with only a few new tracks?
The only good news out of this is that maybe they will play songs that they haven't played in decades.

Signed,

"Caress Of Steel"

Downloaded music sucks. I want my cd.

I love this new idea and I think it gives them a ton of freedom. maybe even leaves the door open for a possible 15 min. epic. who knows but it keeps everyone guessing and things fresh. fans will bitch no matter what. for those that want another CD, 1/2 they will like and 1/2 they will say it was filler, or they just like 2 or 3 songs, and the rest ehhh...

i'm all for this new direction.

I dunno which I prefer honestly. I think of my iPod as my 3rd child, I love being able to tote my music collection around with me. It is certainly better than the two cases of CD's I used to keep in my car. I don't mind downloading content, even in DRM format because it doesn't take much for me to convert it or whatever. Plus I have an iPod.

The CD screams out to the kid in me, who saved and scrimped and thought that 20 bucks was a lot of money. I've never been an artwork or liner person. Go through it once, slide it back into the jewel case and never look at it again. However, with a CD you never have to worry about your hard drive slagging or getting a crappy download. And there is a sense of security about having the "original" copy.

Ask me which I think makes more sense for 2.gif and I'd say digital. The freedom to experiment and the ability to release music as it becomes available are powerful tools. Free from the pressures of finding 10-13 songs to drop on a CD to appease some exec's or even their own expectations of what a Rush album should be, they can work on the stuff they really like. And who knows, maybe all these new tools will give us is more S&A, but given the talent and ability the boys bring to the table, maybe we get some extraordinary. Either way, a change in method could be just what the band needs.

QUOTE (High Water @ Jan 13 2010, 07:38 PM)

It gives them the freedom to release a 20 minute epic one week and a Pop song the next if they so choose.

I'd love to see them return to a 20 minute epic rather than a full album with a few great tracks and the rest being filler.

Yeah, and why is he positive? The prospect of less work. Write 3 songs, throw them up on itunes, do a shorter tour for them, get paid, take a year or 2 off, do it again, its not a bad gig.

Probably much easier than what he's been doing over the last 30 years. I would be excited about that too.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jan 14 2010, 01:58 PM)
Yeah, and why is he positive? The prospect of less work. Write 3 songs, throw them up on itunes, do a shorter tour for them, get paid, take a year or 2 off, do it again, its not a bad gig.

Probably much easier than what he's been doing over the last 30 years. I would be excited about that too.

Yeah, Rush is a bunch of lazy f***ers that hates their fans. angry.gif

Who cares if they're 57, they should be out there touring and recording every year like the old days. angry.gif

eh.gif

That's not at all why he's positive in my opinion.

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Jan 14 2010, 03:02 PM)

Yeah, Rush is a bunch of lazy f***ers that hates their fans. angry.gif

Who cares if they're 57, they should be out there touring and recording every year like the old days. angry.gif

eh.gif

you're kidding right?

all 3 guys have done it all. i'm not saying they're throwing anything out there and back on the road they go, but they can do whatever they want at this point. we're in the 4th quarter, not the 1st 1/2 of the game.

they have lives, family, and other interests and if this is what they want to do at this point, than i say go for it. i think they are making adjustments to their lives and to music. i don't hold my breath anymore.

Archived