Neil gives us a little info on upcoming Rush CD

Camera Eye82

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jan 15 2010, 12:40 AM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jan 15 2010, 04:33 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jan 15 2010, 12:22 AM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jan 15 2010, 02:56 PM)
QUOTE (Score Out @ Jan 14 2010, 09:39 PM)
This isn't rocket science.

1. Rush primarily tours during the summer these days b/c Neil can ride.
2. At the pace they work, it takes them almost 18 months to make an "album" start to finish.
3. Their albums don't sell anymore.  Each sells progressively less than the last.  S&A even had their biggest "single" since Dreamline and still didn't sell.
4. Their tours gross progressively more each time around.

To start now and do a full album would mean they don't hit the road until summer 2011.  Is it worth spending a year and a half on something that will generate no real revenue?  With this alternative they can write a few songs and not lose the the 2010 touring season.  Then they come back with the remaining songs next year.  It's best of both worlds.  Bottom line is that the economics don't justify giving up a year of touring revenue and devoting a year of work (when such years are so limited at this stage of their careers) entirely to something that won't make them any money.

Most on-point post in this entire thread.

Yup. No matter how much folks want to hold a cd in their hands, Rush will do what's best for them and this is probably it. And I'm saying this from the angle that I DON'T download and I treasure my cds. But if it keeps them stable, happy, making music, and touring then I'm for it. trink38.gif

Hey Blaze! "HOLD THE RED STAR HIGH IN HAND!"

1022.gif

Thinking about downloading and this and that...when tapes came out, it took awhile but we all finally came around. The same thing with cds. And, obviously the same thing will happen with downloading. It needs just a little more time. My main problem with downloading is that it makes some think that things are free and they are entitled to this and that. Before someone shouts at me and starts throwing daggers at my chest, remember that I said SOME not ALL.

Yeah Blaze I read you loud and clear, but as you know I am a Japanese cd pressing addict.

Until cds are extinct in Japan I will always be buying.

True, there was the adaptation of reel to reel and vinyl to 8 track and cassettes, then to compact discs and now to digital downloads and MP3s.

I think this world is TOTALLY FUGAZI now when it comes to this shit. Nothing like quoting FISH.

Anyway no daggers are being throw here.

It is what it is man, and I will choose my FREEWILL and "deviate from the norm."

Remember, "you can't have something for nothing, you can't have freedom for free,."

RUSH ON!

trink39.gif

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Score Out @ Jan 14 2010, 11:39 PM)

2. At the pace they work, it takes them almost 18 months to make an "album" start to finish.
3. Their albums don't sell anymore. Each sells progressively less than the last. S&A even had their biggest "single" since Dreamline and still didn't sell.

To start now and do a full album would mean they don't hit the road until summer 2011. Is it worth spending a year and a half on something that will generate no real revenue? With this alternative they can write a few songs and not lose the the 2010 touring season. Then they come back with the remaining songs next year. It's best of both worlds. Bottom line is that the economics don't justify giving up a year of touring revenue and devoting a year of work (when such years are so limited at this stage of their careers) entirely to something that won't make them any money.

goodpost.gif goodpost.gif

just to add though, I'm prettty sure they tour in the summer because of Geddy's voice.

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jan 15 2010, 02:22 AM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jan 15 2010, 02:56 PM)

3. Their albums don't sell anymore.  Each sells progressively less than the last.  S&A even had their biggest "single" since Dreamline and still didn't sell.

To start now and do a full album would mean they don't hit the road until summer 2011.  Is it worth spending a year and a half on something that will generate no real revenue?  With this alternative they can write a few songs and not lose the the 2010 touring season.  Then they come back with the remaining songs next year.  It's best of both worlds.  Bottom line is that the economics don't justify giving up a year of touring revenue and devoting a year of work (when such years are so limited at this stage of their careers) entirely to something that won't make them any money.

Yup. No matter how much folks want to hold a cd in their hands, Rush will do what's best for them and this is probably it. And I'm saying this from the angle that I DON'T download and I treasure my cds. But if it keeps them stable, happy, making music, and touring then I'm for it. trink38.gif

trink39.gif

Wow, we're actually getting logical now. Good post, Score Out.

I want the CD format, too, but this MP3 shit makes more sense for Rush given the current music industry and where the band is at. Somehow, we'll all live. Me, I'll find a way to dub the new MP3 songs onto a CD; maybe make my own "cover art," too.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jan 15 2010, 12:56 AM)

Agreed

I think he is actually talking about the writing process. I agree, I think their pace is absurd. I envision George and Jerry sitting around their apartment trying to come up with a script, while napping and entertaining every conceivable distraction so as to not actually have to work.

How many of their best songs over the last 20 years were admitted "afterthoughts" that just spontaneously happened. Their best work is what happens when they go in lay something spontaneous down and leave it at that. There is no reason musicians of this caliber can't go in and write and record very quickly, except that they don't want to.

It gives them the freedom to release a 20 minute epic one week and a Pop song the next if they so choose.

another 2112 or hemispheres would be incredible, but no chance no.gif , unfortunately

start the rumor. new 20 minute epic on the way with deep seated roots to 2112. wasn't snakes supposed to be the hardest since hemisphere's?

I guarantee that their will be a "physical copy" that you can buy down the road. Why not. There are a lot of people (me included) that always want a hard copy. They will probably release a few songs over a period of years and then release a 'compilation" DVD or Bu-ray disc containing all the songs in the past 5 or 10 years, like their retrospective albums, plus TONS of bonus material. Naturally, they also have their live concert they normally release.

OR

they will do everything above but just release it on one Live concert disc.

The possibilities are many, including direct to HDTV download in the years to come. It it a bit gutsy for them to move away from album releases. But, it a question adapting with the times. And I bet the end result of their musical efforts will be amazing. As long as their songs aren't more than $.99 a pop then I'm game.

It gives them the freedom to release a 20 minute epic one week and a Pop song the next if they so choose.

another 2112 or hemispheres would be incredible, but no chance no.gif , unfortunately

start the rumor. new 20 minute epic on the way with deep seated roots to 2112. wasn't snakes supposed to be the hardest since hemisphere's?

I wasn't suggesting that they "would" create another 20 minute epic...lol

i'm just saying that the freedom to record in their own studios and release a song in mp3/CDA without the "production aspect" would allow them to do that.

Imagine them getting into a jam session and releasing something that they came up with while they were being nostalgic?

Awsome!

No worries about record labels, times, cohesion with other songs, just plain jam and release....

Thats what excites me.

In fact, I would suggest that alot of members here and Fans around the world get more excited about hearing Rush play on a "spur of the moment" thing than they do about an "over-produced, over engineered album.

In my opinion our boys sound best RAW without the filler.

Again, to have them just play and release something, is FAR more exciting to me than an album.

I feel so many conflicting ways about this news that I won't even get into it at this point.

I *will* say I'll miss that "last minute addition" song we've had the last couple albums which turn out to be some of their best tracks. MalNar is my favorite track from S&A and rather "saves" the entire album for me.

wacko.gif

It's crazy how things have evolved. This generation of kids is being brought up with portable music MP3 players. I don't even know anyone under 30 who owns a stereo anymore. And I don't consider those things you plug an iPod into with tinny little speakers a "stereo". It's all about being "on the go", and having the convenience of carrying your entire music library along with you. It's sad that sound quality has been sacrificed for convenience, but that's the way it goes. I guess sound quality doesn't matter when you're listening to the latest pop tracks from Lady Gaga or Brittney Spears lol

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jan 15 2010, 01:41 PM)
It's crazy how things have evolved. This generation of kids is being brought up with portable music MP3 players. I don't even know anyone under 30 who owns a stereo anymore. And I don't consider those things you plug an iPod into with tinny little speakers a "stereo". It's all about being "on the go", and having the convenience of carrying your entire music library along with you. It's sad that sound quality has been sacrificed for convenience, but that's the way it goes. I guess sound quality doesn't matter when you're listening to the latest pop tracks from Lady Gaga or Brittney Spears lol

Sound quality?

I dunno, Some of the best Rush I've ever heard and enjoyed comes from "not that great" sounding boots.

While I would never suggest its not important, i would say that for me, I'd rather Rush release more songs more often, more varied than an album at THIS POINT.

Thats a big one. THIS POINT.

If they release an Album every 4 or 5 years how much more RUSH do think your gonna get?

If they can jam and record on their own, when they want, how they want to, we may get much more.

Or at least, more meaningful.

I personally don't care about the spit and polish that a full production album may bring.

I just want 3 guys, playing their hearts out, in whatever medium that captures them doing it.

There is nothing to say that such things would not still happen, I think with this method of doings things they are basically getting the A&R monkey off of their backs. Bully for them for throwing a cultured middle finger at the corrupted and slowly dying empire that is the record industry.

And remember people, these are men who are in their fifties. They are not in their twenties and thirties anymore, where they could run the gauntlet of "record, tour, take small break, tour some more, record" and release an album every year. Never mind that they all have families that they want to spend time with and live semi-normal lives.

And as to this board in general, this might (though I doubt it) cut down on the sheer amount of wacky posts here if they are releasing material on a more consistent basis.

Hell, its been over a year since their last tour date, and nearly three since S&A was released. If this means that they put something interesting and new out every say, three to six months or so, I am all for it, and I hope that more artists do it in the future.

Take my first and most favorite band as an example, Iron Maiden. its been about three and a half years since A Matter of Life and Death came out, and yes, they took two huge tours (or is it three?), but hell they are just now getting back in the studio to record another album. They used to turn and burn in regard to recording albums as well, going from 1980-1984 without much of a break, though you could say that because of the wildly successful World Slavery Tour, they didn't take much of a break either before going back to the studio to record Somewhere in Time. All I know is that Bruce was burnt the hell out by the time the tour to support that album came up. But I digress.

I am more than willing to see how this new way of doing things goes before I pass judgement on it. Considering the level of complaining and the rush (pun partially intended) to comment on any piece of news concerning the band, I would think that everyone round these parts would be cheering that the process of new material is (finally) starting back up again, but there is no satisfying some. Oh well.

I am just happy at this point that they have something cooking. smile.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jan 15 2010, 01:03 PM)
QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Jan 15 2010, 10:26 AM)
I think once they have enough material they should throw out an LP AND a CD that's an actual recording of the same LP record.

And an 8 track!

laugh.gif

QUOTE (High Water @ Jan 15 2010, 01:31 PM)
No worries about record labels, times, cohesion with other songs, just plain jam and release....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this sounds exactly like how Malignant Marcissism was made.

It went from an afterthought, to a concert favorite on the last tour.

There have to be other favorite Rush songs were made in this manner too, but none are coming to mind at the moment.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jan 15 2010, 03:34 PM)
QUOTE (High Water @ Jan 15 2010, 01:31 PM)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this sounds exactly like how Malignant Marcissism was made.

It went from an afterthought, to a concert favorite on the last tour.

There have to be other favorite Rush songs were made in this manner too, but none are coming to mind at the moment.

I believe that NEW WORLD MAN was also written and recorded in a day to fill out the Signals album, and ended up being their highest charting single.

Twilight Zone was another "one-day project", I believe.

QUOTE (Rendclaw @ Jan 15 2010, 02:00 PM)
And as to this board in general, this might (though I doubt it) cut down on the sheer amount of wacky posts here if they are releasing material on a more consistent basis.

Nah. I doubt it. laugh.gif

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jan 14 2010, 07:07 PM)
The other thing to keep in mind is that their last two studio albums didn't even go gold, so is it really worth their time to mass-produce CDs to sell at retailers if they're only going to sell 2-300k copies?

I predict they will have a physical release of some kind, but it will be available only on their website.

Is it worth bothering to write songs at all, just tour since that's where the money is? Maybe this is the future of all bands, no new music, there's no money in it...

The responses in here and kind of expected. The industry is changing, its digital now, ipods, itunes, cd stores are slowly closing down, CD's are beginning to go away. I was watching my nephew the other day and told him I wanted to stop at walmart to pick up a CD, he said to me "who still buys cd's?"

Im realizing im turning into one of those sad saps still looking for physical media when most under 25 think its a joke to go out and buy a CD.

I used to make fun of those people that were in the bargain bin still looking for VHSs. Now im THAT guy!

The amazing thing about Rush is even at their age, not far off from being senior citizens, they recognize that everything is changing again and are even willing to try and change with it. Meanwhile all of us here are still bitching about wanting a physical disc.

Archived