Neil gives us a little info on upcoming Rush CD

Camera Eye82

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 15 2010, 05:51 PM)

Basically it seems like, and it really hurts me to say it, Rush have become a "cash grab" band. Albums don't sell so cheat the fans of them and just do the things that bring in the megabucks.

BIG MONEY GOES AROUND THE WORLD...

It's only a cash grab to those who believed that cash never factored into the equation before. At the end of the day this is a business. As much as Geddy, Alex & Neil may love music, it's pretty clear that they have a million other interests at this stage of their lives. When it comes to the band, there are limited opportunities left as far as they're concerned and they're going to maximize them - and there's certainly nothing wrong with that.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 15 2010, 04:51 PM)
Basically it seems like, and it really hurts me to say it, Rush have become a "cash grab" band. Albums don't sell so cheat the fans of them and just do the things that bring in the megabucks.

really?!? I'm not seeing it

1. in the early days they toured even though it wasn't at all profitable

2. in 1976 EVERYONE was telling them what they needed to do to make money and they did the exact OPPOSITE (2112).

3. they're grinding up the ol tour machine again so soon after an exhausting double tour and Neil having a kid even though they're finacially set for life.

Rush has NEVER been a cash grab band and never will be. if they were those kind of people they probably would have fallen into the rock and roll lifestyle a little harder back in the 70's.

I think they're quite proud to be known for their integrity. smile.gif

I'm willing to bet that the quality of material they put out will improve with this method of release. Personally, if I have to settle for no CD, then I want a uncompressed downloadable copy with no DRM like garbage attached to it. Anything else well I'll pass.

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Jan 16 2010, 02:54 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 15 2010, 04:51 PM)
Basically it seems like, and it really hurts me to say it, Rush have become a "cash grab" band.  Albums don't sell so cheat the fans of them and just do the things that bring in the megabucks.

really?!? I'm not seeing it

1. in the early days they toured even though it wasn't at all profitable

2. in 1976 EVERYONE was telling them what they needed to do to make money and they did the exact OPPOSITE (2112).

3. they're grinding up the ol tour machine again so soon after an exhausting double tour and Neil having a kid even though they're finacially set for life.

Rush has NEVER been a cash grab band and never will be. if they were those kind of people they probably would have fallen into the rock and roll lifestyle a little harder back in the 70's.

I think they're quite proud to be known for their integrity. smile.gif

goodpost.gif 2.gif

Rush has to be the most honest band in music. Ever.

QUOTE (Score Out @ Jan 16 2010, 12:01 AM)

Basically it seems like, and it really hurts me to say it, Rush have become a "cash grab" band.  Albums don't sell so cheat the fans of them and just do the things that bring in the megabucks.

It's only a cash grab to those who believed that cash never factored into the equation before. At the end of the day this is a business. As much as Geddy, Alex & Neil may love music, it's pretty clear that they have a million other interests at this stage of their lives. When it comes to the band, there are limited opportunities left as far as they're concerned and they're going to maximize them - and there's certainly nothing wrong with that.

at one point they cared about creating music, and it showed in their putting out albums at regular intervals. it was about the process of creating something, and their obvious love of it showed in the work. sure they were making money, but they were also making music.

now the music seems like an excuse for a big money tour.

if they truly cared about creating music, they'd be writing and recording songs, even a handful a year would be something, and they'd release them. they could still tour every 2-3 years and make the tons of money that they're not making with new music anymore. if they really cared about it, they'd do it.

i love rush, so i'm not putting them down just for amusement - just calling 'em like I see 'em.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jan 16 2010, 03:27 AM)
I don't see what's so horrible about playing music in order to make money, especially when the live show is as good as Rush's.

It's fine if that's what it's about now.

Personally, I've seen them live. I care about new music, not seeing Tom Sawyer performed live for the upteenth time, and I don't get excited at the thought of them pulling The Camera Eye or some obscure song out to perform live. If it's between that and a new album of all fresh new material, I'll take the new material any day of the week.

I'm not the only one who thinks so either - remember this poll? Almost 60% of people would rather have them make albums than tour if they had to choose:

TRF Albums vs. Tour Poll

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 16 2010, 06:07 AM)
QUOTE (Score Out @ Jan 16 2010, 12:01 AM)

at one point they cared about creating music, and it showed in their putting out albums at regular intervals. it was about the process of creating something, and their obvious love of it showed in the work. sure they were making money, but they were also making music.

now the music seems like an excuse for a big money tour.

if they truly cared about creating music, they'd be writing and recording songs, even a handful a year would be something, and they'd release them. they could still tour every 2-3 years and make the tons of money that they're not making with new music anymore. if they really cared about it, they'd do it.

i love rush, so i'm not putting them down just for amusement - just calling 'em like I see 'em.

I say they have the same love for music they always did only now it's part time love because they have "lives". same love though! hope that makes sense!

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jan 16 2010, 04:27 AM)
I don't see what's so horrible about playing music in order to make money, especially when the live show is as good as Rush's.

I don't think it's all that horrible either but I have more love for a band that doesn't think of itself as a "business".

I don't know if this is a fair analogy but if I'm on my deathbed I hope my doctor isn't in it for the money!

QUOTE (MMCXII @ Jan 16 2010, 04:56 AM)
I say they have the same love for music they always did only now it's part time love because they have "lives". same love though! hope that makes sense!

This post gets it completely right. They don't put out albums and tour every year anymore because they aren't in their 20s with nothing else going on in their lives. I'm completely okay with that.

I don't feel that Rush is a " cash grab " band. I think like every band, they have to face the reality of the current state of the recording industry.

They strike me as guys that care about music, care about themselves to be sure ( don't we all ), and certainly care about their fans.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jan 16 2010, 06:17 AM)
I say they have the same love for music they always did only now it's part time love because they have "lives".  same love though! hope that makes sense!

This post gets it completely right. They don't put out albums and tour every year anymore because they aren't in their 20s with nothing else going on in their lives. I'm completely okay with that.

Thye've been enjoying their lives and not creating much new music since the early 90's, with the occasional album here and there - 3 albums in the last 16 years. Sounds more like a hobby than a "love for music" to me.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 16 2010, 08:46 AM)
I say they have the same love for music they always did only now it's part time love because they have "lives".  same love though! hope that makes sense!

Thye've been enjoying their lives and not creating much new music since the early 90's, with the occasional album here and there - 3 albums in the last 16 years. Sounds more like a hobby than a "love for music" to me.

then their hobby is my hobby smile.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 16 2010, 09:46 AM)

Goobs, in all fairness, i think Neils tragedies had a big play in all that. I mean, this past decade they were pretty busy, touring and 2 new albums. They were still very active up until '97, when all that went down.

QUOTE (Phantom @ Jan 16 2010, 07:46 AM)

I don't feel that Rush is a " cash grab " band. I think like every band, they have to face the reality of the current state of the recording industry.

They strike me as guys that care about music, care about themselves to be sure ( don't we all ), and certainly care about their fans.

I guess it's how you define caring about their fans.

If it's the fan who will pay them for every tour whether they have any new material or not, then I guess they do.

If it's for the fan that will purchase every repetitive DVD and live album, then they do.

If it's for the fan who is grateful for any little scrap of anything they decide to throw our way, then I guess that's caring for their fans too.

For THIS fan, I like new Rush music, and that's been very, very lacking in the past 20 years. In my category it's hard to perceive them as caring.

It's fine though, they've never cared what anyone else thought, and that's what allowed them to make so much great music as long as they did. I just wish I liked their choices as much as I did 20 years ago - since then it's been slim pickings.

Anyway, good for them, they're really wealthy now and will only get wealthier. I'm still grateful for the fantastic albums from 1974-1987 and for their 15-20 or so great songs since then...

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Jan 16 2010, 07:50 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 16 2010, 09:46 AM)

Goobs, in all fairness, i think Neils tragedies had a big play in all that. I mean, this past decade they were pretty busy, touring and 2 new albums. They were still very active up until '97, when all that went down.

Wow, TWO albums in a decade! What a treat for the fans!

I have great sympathy for what Neil went through, but that only goes so far. After VT (which was horrible btw), it was five years before a new album. Now it's been 3 more years, and we'll get what, a handful of songs? Woohoo! sarcasm.gif

I just don't care about tours, I've seen them and seen them. I want new Rush music, but that's not where the money is at. If other people are happy, that's great, but I haven't been very happy as a Rush fan much over the past 20 years. Counterparts made me happy. S&A made me happy. Pretty much that's it.

Anyway, enjoy! tongue.gif

Lets break this down...

1974- 1994, first 20 years of their career....

1974 - album /tour

'75 - 2 albums /tour

'76 - album/tour

'77 - album/ tour

'78 - album /tour

'79 - year off

'80 - album/tour

'81 - album/ tour

'82 - album /tour

'83 - year off

'84 - album/tour

'85 - album/tour

'86 - year off

'87 - album/tour

'88 - year off

'89 - album/tour

'90 - year off

'91 - album /tour

'92 - year off

'93 - album/tour

'94 - year off

So the first 20 years of their career, they had 7 years off. And a lot of that time was spent writing and recording the following years albums.

Since '94, theyve had a few bumps in the road, to say the least.

I think they have earned the right to do whatever the hell they want by this point.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Jan 16 2010, 08:06 AM)
Lets break this down...

1974 - album /tour
'75 - album /tour
'76 - album/tour
'77 - album/ tour
'78 - album /tour
'79 - year off
'80 - album/tour
'81 - album/ tour
'82 - album /tour
'83 - year off
'84 - album/tour
'85 - album/tour
'86 - year off
'87 - album/tour
'88 - year off
'89 - album/tour
'90 - year off
'91 - album /tour
'92 - year off
'93 - album/tour
'94 - year off

So the first 20 years of their career, they had 7 years off. And a lot of that time was spent writing and recording the following years albums.

I think they have earned the right to do whatever the hell they want by this point.

Here's my breakdown:

First 10 years - 9 albums (every year)

Next 10 years - 6 albums (every 1 1/2 years)

Next 16 years - 3 albums (every 5 years)

Sure, they've "earned the right to do whatever the hell they want by this point." Absolutely.

Still, what can I say? I miss the music. Just my personal opinion. If other people are really happy with whatever they still do have to give, that's cool.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 16 2010, 10:10 AM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Jan 16 2010, 08:06 AM)
Lets break this down...

1974 - album /tour
'75 - album /tour
'76 - album/tour
'77 - album/ tour
'78 - album /tour
'79 - year off
'80 - album/tour
'81 - album/ tour
'82 - album /tour
'83 - year off
'84 - album/tour
'85 - album/tour
'86 - year off
'87 - album/tour
'88 - year off
'89 - album/tour
'90 - year off
'91 - album /tour
'92 - year off
'93 - album/tour
'94 - year off

Here's my breakdown:

First 10 years - 9 albums (every year)

Next 10 years - 6 albums (every 1 1/2 years)

Next 16 years - 3 albums (every 5 years)

Sure, they've "earned the right to do whatever the hell they want by this point." Absolutely.

Still, what can I say? I miss the music. Just my personal opinion. If other people are really happy with whatever they still do have to give, that's cool.

I know what youre saying . I just think, compared to a lot of other bands from their era, Rush has been pretty generous with the fans, as far as not being a golden oldies show. Of course id love new music every couple years as well, but at this point in their career, id say its cool with the output they are giving.

Digital is the way.

I don't need to be anal about having a "physical" collection of cd's. I have a nice external harddrive with kabillions of songs in it and I make DVD's with tons of tunes to play in my surround sound, and I have my ipod that plugs into my reciever, my car, anything I want.

Those that have dog ears and claim they hear a difference... oh well. Don't download the new songs. Simple as that.

The claim that this shows a lack of respect for the fans is ludicrous. I think it shows more respect than anything. Doing this takes the pressure of having to write filler songs to make a complete album. I personally think Snakes is a perfect example. Two good songs... the rest FILLER. Bad filler at that.

Only releasing a few songs as they complete them, will make the boys happier. A happy artist is a more productive artist, and maybe the work will reflect that and go back to the standard it once was, before Snakes and Arrows.

And if 2.gif lose a couple anal fucktards along the way because of it. GOOD!!! Maybe they should have done it sooner. yes.gif

QUOTE (Rendclaw @ Jan 16 2010, 12:50 AM)
Now that I think about it, wasn't Signals one of the first albums to be 100% digital and put on CD?

That would be Power Windows, which was their first album to be done all in digital. Grace Under Pressure was the last album done in analogue.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Jan 16 2010, 10:06 AM)
Lets break this down...

1974 - album /tour
'75 -  2 albums /tour
'76 - album/tour
'77 - album/ tour
'78 - album /tour
'79 - year off
'80 - album/tour
'81 - album/ tour
'82 - album /tour
'83 - year off
'84 - album/tour
'85 - album/tour
'86 - year off
'87 - album/tour
'88 - year off
'89 - album/tour
'90 - year off
'91 - album /tour
'92 - year off
'93 - album/tour
'94 - year off

Actually, the were touring during all those "years off" too. Yep. It seems they did an album, toured, got a couple months off, then went right back into it.

Look..just be thankful we have something to look forward too. I think that the last three concerts were carbon copies. It is getting old. I look at other indicators, for example the new cymbals with Paragon deal, possibly a new Signature Fender Jass Bass, etc. Rush will be around for a few more years for sure I think to support these initiatives. A few songs here and there would be great. Watching the side projects are fun as well too. I agree with Camera Eye who cares if they play it,,we can all watch it on You Tube from the Signals tour, but seeing and hearing the same songs tour after tour is getting old. I think a B-side tour in in order. We get spoiler alerts, set lists are exposed, fun for some, not for others. It is a different world now, and I we shall see how it turns out?????

Quant

Archived