Neil gives us a little info on upcoming Rush CD

Camera Eye82

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Jan 14 2010, 03:37 PM)
QUOTE (PariahDog @ Jan 14 2010, 03:02 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jan 14 2010, 01:58 PM)
Yeah, and why is he positive? The prospect of less work. Write 3 songs, throw them up on itunes, do a shorter tour for them, get paid, take a year or 2 off, do it again, its not a bad gig.

Probably much easier than what he's been doing over the last 30 years. I would be excited about that too.

Yeah, Rush is a bunch of lazy f***ers that hates their fans. angry.gif

Who cares if they're 57, they should be out there touring and recording every year like the old days. angry.gif

eh.gif

you're kidding right?

all 3 guys have done it all. i'm not saying they're throwing anything out there and back on the road they go, but they can do whatever they want at this point. we're in the 4th quarter, not the 1st 1/2 of the game.

they have lives, family, and other interests and if this is what they want to do at this point, than i say go for it. i think they are making adjustments to their lives and to music. i don't hold my breath anymore.

Yes, I was kidding with the eh.gif

A lot of folks seem to forget that the guys are all approaching 60. old.gif sad.gif

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Pound of Obscure @ Jan 14 2010, 12:30 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jan 13 2010, 06:28 PM)
Personally this shit kills me being a cd addict.
No more Rush records?  Just record a few songs for download only?
Guess Hugh Syme is out of a job.
This blows.  dazed025.gif

So they are going to launch a new tour with only a few new tracks?
The only good news out of this is that maybe they will play songs that they haven't played in decades.

Signed,

"Caress Of Steel"

Downloaded music sucks. I want my cd.

yes.gif There is nothing like buying and opening a C.D. for the first time

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jan 14 2010, 09:28 AM)
He sounds inspired and extremely positive. Hell, he actually comes out mentioning TOURING even before they have anything settled in stone. He continues to push the "freedom" thing, which can only be good right?

Diapers smell real bad. Time to hit the road and TOUR!!

I don't have a download collection and I'm not about to start one for few new Rush songs. They might get played through my tinny laptop speakers a few times though if I bother to download them. Wake me up if an actual album comes out...

schla03.gif

I say give us 3-5 good quality songs. If they made a whole album like Snakes again, I'd inevitably end up listening to only a handful of them anyway. That's how it's always been with their recent albums... a few gems, a lot of filler.

lot to digest here....

I like the new format and am surprised it took them so long. I'm also surprised to see that Neil thinks this is some new phenomenon and not something that has been building for a decade. I think the illusion of impermanence with the download versus the cd might actually allow them to relax a bit and give us something a little less analyzed. Their earlier albums had to be written and recorded fairly quickly due to their schedules.

As far as download quality goes I rarely listen to music in a setting where this matters. It is usually off the computer, on headphones, or in the car. All situation where it is not a big issue for me.

do you like cds and artwork? What can be cooler than burning your own disc in the order you want with artwork you design? Try it and have some fun with it.

Masterpiece: I don't believe Rush is worried about another one. In fact, the more concerned they are about it the less likely it is to happen.

If I could work less and still get paid I would. Can't blame them here.

Finally, enough with the damned green lasers dazed025.gif wink.gif

I agree with almost whatever direction the band goes in, but this makes me a little sad! sad.gif

Buying S & A in CD form was probably one of the most exciting days of my life no joke. The album artwork, the physical CD in my hands is nothing compared to buying things from iTunes. I buy a lot of music from it, but actual albums I always try to buy in CD form first. On the other hand, if it brings out even better music from the boys then I have no problem with it! common001.gif

The other thing to keep in mind is that their last two studio albums didn't even go gold, so is it really worth their time to mass-produce CDs to sell at retailers if they're only going to sell 2-300k copies?

I predict they will have a physical release of some kind, but it will be available only on their website.

I'm loving this. First of all, I'm most pumped that the boys have just about confirmed new material. bncegrn.gif

I know it's been said over and over on this thread but in the recent years, it's been about 5 really good songs with a lot of filler. This'll give them the chance to really work hard on a lesser amount of songs. (only six songs on PeW...but that album sucked right?.....) Plus the downloaded type of music almost always has artwork to go with it. That's pretty important for me. Good luck boys!

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Zanadoo @ Jan 14 2010, 09:16 PM)
I'm loving this. First of all, I'm most pumped that the boys have just about confirmed new material. bncegrn.gif

I know it's been said over and over on this thread but in the recent years, it's been about 5 really good songs with a lot of filler. This'll give them the chance to really work hard on a lesser amount of songs. (only six songs on PeW...but that album sucked right?.....) Plus the downloaded type of music almost always has artwork to go with it. That's pretty important for me. Good luck boys!

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

screw the artwork. i want more cowbell. cool.gif

I have always been old school when it comes to all this, but thinking about it more and opening my mind, i think this could be really cool. Imagine TRF joining in and listening to a new song released from their website. Will add to the exitement of new material.

Ill go with whatever direction they decide. Shit, ive got all their albums on CD up until this point anyway laugh.gif

This isn't rocket science.

1. Rush primarily tours during the summer these days b/c Neil can ride.

2. At the pace they work, it takes them almost 18 months to make an "album" start to finish.

3. Their albums don't sell anymore. Each sells progressively less than the last. S&A even had their biggest "single" since Dreamline and still didn't sell.

4. Their tours gross progressively more each time around.

To start now and do a full album would mean they don't hit the road until summer 2011. Is it worth spending a year and a half on something that will generate no real revenue? With this alternative they can write a few songs and not lose the the 2010 touring season. Then they come back with the remaining songs next year. It's best of both worlds. Bottom line is that the economics don't justify giving up a year of touring revenue and devoting a year of work (when such years are so limited at this stage of their careers) entirely to something that won't make them any money.

QUOTE (Score Out @ Jan 14 2010, 09:39 PM)

2. At the pace they work, it takes them almost 18 months to make an "album" start to finish.
3. Their albums don't sell anymore. Each sells progressively less than the last. S&A even had their biggest "single" since Dreamline and still didn't sell.

To start now and do a full album would mean they don't hit the road until summer 2011. Is it worth spending a year and a half on something that will generate no real revenue? With this alternative they can write a few songs and not lose the the 2010 touring season. Then they come back with the remaining songs next year. It's best of both worlds. Bottom line is that the economics don't justify giving up a year of touring revenue and devoting a year of work (when such years are so limited at this stage of their careers) entirely to something that won't make them any money.

Most on-point post in this entire thread.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Jan 14 2010, 10:25 PM)
I have always been old school when it comes to all this, but thinking about it more and opening my mind, i think this could be really cool. Imagine TRF joining in and listening to a new song released from their website. Will add to the exitement of new material.

Ill go with whatever direction they decide. Shit, ive got all their albums on CD up until this point anyway laugh.gif

I feel the same way, I held out for the longest time to except mp3 players and downloads, even cd's I was very reluctant to give up on my vinyl, cassettes. (Didn't hesitate to upgrade from eight track hated how bulky they were had to carry a suitcase to store them in!) I like the convenience of my ipod, and itunes carries a lot of older stuff I could never find on cd.

It makes good business sense for Rush to be open in new directions on how to put there music out. Got to face it cd's are a dying breed, and Rush can't box themselves in relying on the old "Let's make an album" formula and stay reasonably marketable. All of us have noticed and talked about the decline in Rush compact disc sales with every new release.

But something tells me, regardless what Neil talks about now, eventually Rush will cover all the bases and put what's ever next on all formats. Who knows maybe even vinyl limited pressing. I read that vinyl record sales actually went up the last three years! Granted very small percent of sales but there's still a market way below radar. laugh.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jan 15 2010, 02:56 PM)

3. Their albums don't sell anymore.  Each sells progressively less than the last.  S&A even had their biggest "single" since Dreamline and still didn't sell.

To start now and do a full album would mean they don't hit the road until summer 2011.  Is it worth spending a year and a half on something that will generate no real revenue?  With this alternative they can write a few songs and not lose the the 2010 touring season.  Then they come back with the remaining songs next year.  It's best of both worlds.  Bottom line is that the economics don't justify giving up a year of touring revenue and devoting a year of work (when such years are so limited at this stage of their careers) entirely to something that won't make them any money.

Yup. No matter how much folks want to hold a cd in their hands, Rush will do what's best for them and this is probably it. And I'm saying this from the angle that I DON'T download and I treasure my cds. But if it keeps them stable, happy, making music, and touring then I'm for it. trink38.gif

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Jan 15 2010, 12:22 AM)

3. Their albums don't sell anymore.  Each sells progressively less than the last.  S&A even had their biggest "single" since Dreamline and still didn't sell.

To start now and do a full album would mean they don't hit the road until summer 2011.  Is it worth spending a year and a half on something that will generate no real revenue?  With this alternative they can write a few songs and not lose the the 2010 touring season.  Then they come back with the remaining songs next year.  It's best of both worlds.  Bottom line is that the economics don't justify giving up a year of touring revenue and devoting a year of work (when such years are so limited at this stage of their careers) entirely to something that won't make them any money.

Yup. No matter how much folks want to hold a cd in their hands, Rush will do what's best for them and this is probably it. And I'm saying this from the angle that I DON'T download and I treasure my cds. But if it keeps them stable, happy, making music, and touring then I'm for it. trink38.gif

I'm all for selfish love.

A lot of great posts on this thread.

I agree, that RUSH has to evolve to keep up with the Jones, but that doesn't mean their old school fans have to follow suit.

Hey I was able to watch Neil's Hockey video tonight thanks to Youtube. If RUSH releases a three track ep for download only, you damn right I will do it.

But when it comes to my Hi-Fidelity stereo, I will wait for the REAL DEAL with artwork and liner notes.

When MTV was born their first video was "VIDEO KILLED THE RADIO STAR."

So know what is it kids of the next Generation?

"DOWNLOADS KILLED THE STEREO CAR."

Signed,

THE BUGGLES

Hey Blaze! "HOLD THE RED STAR HIGH IN HAND!"

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jan 15 2010, 04:33 PM)

Hey Blaze! "HOLD THE RED STAR HIGH IN HAND!"

1022.gif

Thinking about downloading and this and that...when tapes came out, it took awhile but we all finally came around. The same thing with cds. And, obviously the same thing will happen with downloading. It needs just a little more time. My main problem with downloading is that it makes some think that things are free and they are entitled to this and that. Before someone shouts at me and starts throwing daggers at my chest, remember that I said SOME not ALL.

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Jan 14 2010, 09:00 AM)
Well, I feel like I should quit kicking and screaming and welcome the "new way" too, even though my current band is releasing a full-length CD this spring. I don't see anything wrong with releasing songs a few at a time instead of waiting for a whole CD's worth of stuff to be written, recorded and released. That way we don't have to wait as long to hear some new Rush.
A 2010 Summer tour sounds awesome. I'm ready!! I hope they come to DTE in Clarkston! 1022.gif

trink39.gif

They always do, Ken... they hit DTE first, then JLA the following year... 2007 and 2008 was the first time I was able to catch them live both times in both venues, and I thoroughly loved it.

As to the new way of doing things, I don;t have a problem with it either, but I hope that they use Trent Reznor's method as a model and release it in different qualities and formats, because nothing less than lossless is going to satisfy the audiophiles. I am more than willing to pay for the best quality I can afford, and while I understand the argument for the physical copy to some extent, I stopped buying CDs for the simple reason that I would buy them, rip them, read the liner notes once or twice then put it away and never touch them again unless I had to re-rip them. The way I listen to music now is a little different from the days where I had a cassette walkman in one pocket and about 10 tapes in the other. I want it on my system quickly so I can listen to it.

----------------

Now playing: Rush - [Counterparts #11] Everday Glory [foobar2000 v1.0]

via FoxyTunes

Archived