Neil gives us a little info on upcoming Rush CD

Camera Eye82

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 15 2010, 04:50 PM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Jan 14 2010, 07:07 PM)
The other thing to keep in mind is that their last two studio albums didn't even go gold, so is it really worth their time to mass-produce CDs to sell at retailers if they're only going to sell 2-300k copies?

I predict they will have a physical release of some kind, but it will be available only on their website.

Is it worth bothering to write songs at all, just tour since that's where the money is? Maybe this is the future of all bands, no new music, there's no money in it...

I think this fits for classic old school artist like Rush, were airplay and exposure for anything new is minimal. But still necessary and satisfying to fulfill a need to create. And there thousands of loyal fans are grateful! yes.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 14 2010, 02:39 PM)
I don't have a download collection and I'm not about to start one for few new Rush songs. They might get played through my tinny laptop speakers a few times though if I bother to download them. Wake me up if an actual album comes out...

schla03.gif

THIS.

Treeduck nailed it. yes.gif

The only way I'll find this personally acceptable is if when they release the songs that they also release WAV (CD quality) file versions to download instead of only MP3's ( 062802puke_prv.gif ), or a physical product that has WAV files.

Basically it seems like, and it really hurts me to say it, Rush have become a "cash grab" band. Albums don't sell so cheat the fans of them and just do the things that bring in the megabucks.

BIG MONEY GOES AROUND THE WORLD...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 15 2010, 05:51 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 14 2010, 02:39 PM)
I don't have a download collection and I'm not about to start one for few new Rush songs. They might get played through my tinny laptop speakers a few times though if I bother to download them. Wake me up if an actual album comes out...

schla03.gif

THIS.

Treeduck nailed it. yes.gif

The only way I'll find this personally acceptable is if when they release the songs that they also release WAV (CD quality) file versions to download instead of only MP3's ( 062802puke_prv.gif ), or a physical product that has WAV files.

Basically it seems like, and it really hurts me to say it, Rush have become a "cash grab" band. Albums don't sell so cheat the fans of them and just do the things that bring in the megabucks.

BIG MONEY GOES AROUND THE WORLD...

Sadly, I think it's just a sign of the times.

Here in Phoenix, we used to have Tower Records, The Wherehouse, Sam Goody, etc., but they have all closed down.

Borders just recently liquidated their CDs and DVDs, except for "top current releases."

At Target and Wal-Mart, they also carry only "current releases."

About the only place left to find a decent selection of CDs/DVDs is Best Buy and Fry's Electronics, and even there good luck finding older releases, jazz, classical, etc.

So for a band like Rush with a limited market, is it really surprising that they would start to look at other options?

I do think they will eventually release a CD of whatever new material they put out, perhaps direct from the band through their website.

CDs really died with the 20th century. I know they're still around, but just go to Best Buy or any music store and take a look at the shrinking music catalog. It's the digital age, whether we like it or not. Soon you'll have no choice but to download your music.

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jan 15 2010, 06:29 PM)
CDs really died with the 20th century. I know they're still around, but just go to Best Buy or any music store and take a look at the shrinking music catalog. It's the digital age, whether we like it or not. Soon you'll have no choice but to download your music.

I'll give up listening to music and become a nomad and wander the earth, much like the benign and yet oh so very deadly Kwai Chang Caine. Doing battle with Mp3s as the accost me as I walk alone with nothing but my bag of herbs and flute on my western trail...

ph34r.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 15 2010, 06:37 PM)

I'll give up listening to music and become a nomad and wander the earth, much like the benign and yet oh so very deadly Kwai Chang Caine. Doing battle with Mp3s as the accost me as I walk alone with nothing but my bag of herbs and flute on my western trail...

ph34r.gif

laugh.gif

A movie based on your travels will blow away Avatar at the theater.

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Jan 15 2010, 06:51 PM)

ph34r.gif

laugh.gif

Aye...

laugh.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jan 15 2010, 04:52 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Jan 15 2010, 06:51 PM)

ph34r.gif

laugh.gif

Aye...

laugh.gif

I want to see that in 3-D Imax. yes.gif yes.gif no.gif yes.gif

Gary, thanks for not posting 17 paragraphs on how you want a full album whereas the band only wants to put out a few songs. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jan 15 2010, 03:34 PM)
QUOTE (High Water @ Jan 15 2010, 01:31 PM)
No worries about record labels, times, cohesion with other songs, just plain jam and release....

In my opinion our boys sound best RAW without the filler.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this sounds exactly like how Malignant Marcissism was made.

It went from an afterthought, to a concert favorite on the last tour.

There have to be other favorite Rush songs were made in this manner too, but none are coming to mind at the moment.

trink39.gif

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jan 15 2010, 05:11 PM)
Gary, thanks for not posting 17 paragraphs on how you want a full album whereas the band only wants to put out a few songs. tongue.gif

I would if I thought it would help them change their minds. sarcasm.gif

Besides, I already went into greater detail HERE. tongue.gif

It's funny how two of my favorite bands, Green Day and My Chemical Romance, have both recently expressed their love of making albums in a world of download-only singles, when both bands are much newer than Rush.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jan 15 2010, 08:36 PM)
no band can sustain that kind of output of quality material for that long. thats why none have. smile.gif

goodpost.gif Damn right .

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jan 15 2010, 08:58 PM)
It's funny how two of my favorite bands, Green Day and My Chemical Romance,

I'm sorry, it is funny. I can not get past that first sentence

tongue.gif

ph34r.gif

My stepdad said the same thing ages ago, did not want to switch to CDs. Well there comes a time when you have no choice. Change, or be one of those guys searching vintage CD stores.

The fact is CDs are going away now. Rush is willing to change with that just to survive, they're doing what they have to to get their music out there.

They will have an itunes store, and you can download the new album or get left behind. Its up to you but I dont understand getting hung up on physical media thing.

Who cares about having a disc? Itunes is far more convenient, you still get digital booklets with them, the quality is fantastic. So thats all there, except the disc part. Thats just the way it is now.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Jan 15 2010, 10:12 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ Jan 15 2010, 08:58 PM)
It's funny how two of my favorite bands, Green Day and My Chemical Romance,

I'm sorry, it is funny. I can not get past that first sentence

tongue.gif

Green Day is actually a great band. That album American Idiot is pretty fantastic, they're like the Kansas of modern times.

Their new album sucks but whatever, they are actually a quality band. If you dont like them thats fine, but you would be way down in the minority on that one.

MCR on the otherhand just strikes me as a very boring emo band.

QUOTE (trenken @ Jan 15 2010, 10:25 PM)

ph34r.gif

My stepdad said the same thing ages ago, did not want to switch to CDs. Well there comes a time when you have no choice. Change, or be one of those guys searching vintage CD stores.

The fact is CDs are going away now. Rush is willing to change with that just to survive, they're doing what they have to to get their music out there.

They will have an itunes store, and you can download the new album or get left behind. Its up to you but I dont understand getting hung up on physical media thing.

Who cares about having a disc? Itunes is far more convenient, you still get digital booklets with them, the quality is fantastic. So thats all there, except the disc part. Thats just the way it is now.

Exactly... try going into a music store now and asking where the cassettes are lol.

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Jan 15 2010, 10:35 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Jan 15 2010, 10:25 PM)

ph34r.gif

Exactly... try going into a music store now and asking where the cassettes are lol.

Thats exactly my point. Thats what we're heading into with CDs. In 1-2 years you will not be able to find a CD in a regular store anymore.

Itunes and ipods have killed that off. Its still in transition but Rush recognizes this, hence their ideas of just a digital release, everyone is doing it now.

Many bands are putting CDs out still and will for a year or two, but those itunes downloads are their primary source of album sales.

QUOTE (Xanadude69 @ Jan 14 2010, 12:25 AM)
I don't have a problem with this. I haven't enjoyed the last 8 albums much anyway. I am hoping this will allow them the freedom to fully work on a small amount of great songs over a period of time rather then putting out a couple so-so songs with the rest of the songs on the album being mediocre. But I fully understand that even with them putting out songs digitally and few at a time, the songs can still be mediocre.

as for those moaning about the physical release: do you really stare at the cover and read the booklets that often that you want a physical copy of an LP?

If I'm going to pay for something, it better be something that actually exists. I'm not paying for zeroes and ones. I want plastic and aluminium with PHYSICAL DATA burned onto it!

MP3's do not exist. If your computer blows up, they're gone. If your iPod dies, they're gone.

Don't let CDs die until there's a newer form of PHYSICAL media!

With such a hardcore, but select following, Rush or some of the execs might anticipate getting double sales on each physical album. All of us raving psychos will buy it digitally and then later line up for the CD release. I got no self-respect. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (Tarkus407 @ Jan 15 2010, 11:34 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadude69 @ Jan 14 2010, 12:25 AM)
I don't have a problem with this.  I haven't enjoyed the last 8 albums much anyway.  I am hoping this will allow them the freedom to fully work on a small amount of great songs over a period of time rather then putting out a couple so-so songs with the rest of the songs on the album being mediocre. But I fully understand that even with them putting out songs digitally and few at a time, the songs can still be mediocre.

as for those moaning about the physical release: do you really stare at the cover and read the booklets that often that you want a physical copy of an LP?

If I'm going to pay for something, it better be something that actually exists. I'm not paying for zeroes and ones. I want plastic and aluminium with PHYSICAL DATA burned onto it!

MP3's do not exist. If your computer blows up, they're gone. If your iPod dies, they're gone.

Don't let CDs die until there's a newer form of PHYSICAL media!

you bring up a good point. I'm not that familiar with itunes or any other download sites, but what's the deal with that? If you buy a song, is it one download and that's it? Or can you download it again if you lose it?

That is why you back up your music at least once a year, be it to a CD, DVD, Flash drive, or whatever. If you're dumb enough to not do this and your hard drive craps out, you deserve to lose all of your ones and zeroes.

Yes, each one is *one* download only. This is why you back up your important data. Its not hard or even expensive.

Now that I think about it, wasn't Signals one of the first albums to be 100% digital and put on CD?

I was one of those guys who didn't want to give up my precious cassettes back in the 80s, but you either change with the times or you get left behind. I didn't start collecting CDs until the mid to late 90s. When I saw mp3s start up back in the day, I jumped right on it because I could play my music without swapping out CDs. I was happier when CD players could play MP3s, then MP3 players started becoming affordable.

In 5-10 years there is going to be another method of media and we are going to go through this all over again. Its human nature: slow to understand and even slower to change, even though we are the most adaptable species on the planet.

Archived