Black Sabbath...

ozzy85

QUOTE (ozzy85 @ Jun 18 2008, 02:16 PM)
QUOTE (Puckfiend @ Jun 18 2008, 01:07 PM)
QUOTE (ozzy85 @ Jun 18 2008, 10:12 AM)
Same here!  I heard  Ozzy first, then Black Sabbath later.  This was in the early '80's, so I actually thought Black Sabbath was a Dio band.  It wasn't until someone brought me a copy of Paranoid that I believed Ozzy was in Sabbath!

That reminds me of a funny story..

I had Speak of the Devil before I had Master of Reality... We're spending the weekend at my cousin's in Las Vegas. He is into metal too, and I look to see what he's got.. I pop in Master of Reality in the boom box as I'm going to bed after smoking a joint. I flick off the light and hit 'play'. It's pitch black and then the coughing intro started and scared the beejeebus out of me. drool1.gif

Well, I remember borrowing a copy of Paranoid and listening for the first time... the ending to War Pigs sped up to a thousand miles and hour and I spun around to swat my tape deck. I thought at first it ate another tape! (DAMN IT! NOT AGAIN!)

My copy of Sabotage I played until it fried. laugh.gif 1022.gif

Just to add another one to the list of funny stories.....

When I was growing up I was taught that Ozzy Ozbourne was a Satan-worshipper and should therefore be carefully avoided. Eventually I grew out of all that silly bulls**t and decided to see what Black Sabbath really sounded like. So I borrowed a copy of "We Sold Our Souls for Rock'n'Roll" from a friend.

I'll never forget the first time I listened to that album. It just so happened that it was raining outside at the time, and when I put on my headphones and heard the intro to "Black Sabbath" I honestly thought I was losing my mind for a minute. laugh.gif Scared the sh*t out of me, but I've loved the band ever since. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 18 2008, 02:26 PM)
QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Jun 18 2008, 04:23 PM)
QUOTE (Steevo @ Jun 18 2008, 05:09 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 19 2008, 05:55 AM)
QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Jun 17 2008, 03:33 PM)
I can't f***ing stand Ozzy Osbourne or his horrible, horrible lyrics, that said I consider Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Master Of Reality absolutely brilliant albums. Nothing touches Heaven & Hell though.

That's where you're wrong RK, Ozzy didn't write the lyrics in Sabbath, bar Who Are You?, Geezer Butler wrote them. And even his solo stuff is not penned by him, Bob Daisley wrote the lyrics for Blizzard of Oz and every album up to and including No More Tears, which is how they came to have the big lawsuit a while back after non-payment of royalties. Ozzy can't write lyrics.

The usual beating around the bush with RK tongue.gif

Neither does Oz play an instrument, but he does come up with some killer vocal melodies though, being a huge fan of the Beatles will do that to ya laugh.gif

As for the lyrics, I agree with the RK that some are banal as hell but theres nothing wrong with Daisley's contribution. A great songwriter indeed and came into Ozzy's career at the perfect time. Oooops, this was a Sabs thread, sorry unsure.gif

ozzy does play harmonica and did so on an album. can't.....remember....song....

The Wizard, Black Sabbath...

His vocal melodies are good and totally original though and of course absolutely essential to the Sabbath sound, as essential as Iommi's riffs...

Iommi's guitar sounds out of tune on Vol. 4. You're all gonna hate me because now you won't be able to not notice.

everything they did with ozzy and dio are great. some song's on born agian are good also. tony . m was a great singer but every album only had a few gem's 1022.gif

QUOTE (Tull Fan Too @ Jun 18 2008, 04:29 PM)
When I was growing up I was taught that Ozzy Ozbourne was a Satan-worshipper and should therefore be carefully avoided.  Eventually I grew out of all that silly bulls**t and decided to see what Black Sabbath really sounded like.  So I borrowed a copy of "We Sold Our Souls for Rock'n'Roll" from a friend. 

Same here. Heard the story about him biting off the bat's head and all that. One day my friend left behind a cassette of Blizzard of Ozz, so I took it home to listen to it first before returning it to him. Randy's guitar work just blew me away..

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 21 2008, 05:56 PM)
Tony Iommi was at the Amir Khan v Michael Gomez fight in Birmingham (UK), right in the front row too. I didn't know he was a boxing fan but it is his home town...

Quite some time ago Tony Iommi was pretty involved in martial arts, so I can see him enjoying the fights.

...And yeah, Randy Rhoads was a major force to be reckoned with when I was in high school. My classmates and I had arguments on Van Halen vs. Rhoads, among others. Good fun instead of doing class work.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 18 2008, 06:36 PM)
I can't f***ing stand Ozzy Osbourne or his horrible, horrible lyrics, that said I consider Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Master Of Reality absolutely brilliant albums. Nothing touches Heaven & Hell though.

That's where you're wrong RK, Ozzy didn't write the lyrics in Sabbath, bar Who Are You?, Geezer Butler wrote them. And even his solo stuff is not penned by him, Bob Daisley wrote the lyrics for Blizzard of Oz and every album up to and including No More Tears, which is how they came to have the big lawsuit a while back after non-payment of royalties. Ozzy can't write lyrics.

Neither does Oz play an instrument, but he does come up with some killer vocal melodies though, being a huge fan of the Beatles will do that to ya laugh.gif

As for the lyrics, I agree with the RK that some are banal as hell but theres nothing wrong with Daisley's contribution. A great songwriter indeed and came into Ozzy's career at the perfect time. Oooops, this was a Sabs thread, sorry unsure.gif

His vocal melodies are good and totally original though and of course absolutely essential to the Sabbath sound, as essential as Iommi's riffs...

Iommi's guitar sounds out of tune on Vol. 4. You're all gonna hate me because now you won't be able to not notice.

You're slightly right.. God damn it. I only hear in in 'Cornucopia' though

I joined too late to hop in here and mourn the passing of Ronnie James Dio.

RIP

He will forever be on the Mount Rushmore of Metal Singers. 1022.gif

I only got into Sabbath because I'm from the whole Purple/Whitesnake/Rainbow crowd, so Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules were just another link in that chain.

OMG so great.

And I'm glad Ronnie was able to do a couple more good things with Iommi and company before he left us.

I can easily live without owning anything by Ozzy. But I can't deny the power and influence of early Sabbath. Huge.

QUOTE (D3strukt @ Aug 30 2012, 01:33 AM)

He tunes his guitar down because it's easier on his fingers. Is that what you mean? Now I'm afraid to listen to Vol. 4. scared.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 17 2008, 04:07 PM)
Yes, I regularly get out my black box (vinyls have now been retired) of the Ozzy-era albums and the Dio-era albums and the Heaven & Hell live album. I might even find a copy of the Gillan-era Born Again, I haven't heard that album since about 1983...

Thanks for the insight to Dio era Sabbath. Been listening to Heaven and Hell. really good songs. Most impressive to me is Iommi. Good stuff there. Dio had big shoes to fill and did a bang up job!!!

Heaven and Hell a masterpiece? I heard a well produced album and fine songwriting, but it's not Clockwork Angels laugh.gif

QUOTE (Tombstone Mountain @ Aug 30 2012, 08:31 AM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 17 2008, 04:07 PM)
Yes, I regularly get out my black box (vinyls have now been retired) of the Ozzy-era albums and the Dio-era albums and the Heaven & Hell live album. I might even find a copy of the Gillan-era Born Again, I haven't heard that album since about 1983...

Thanks for the insight to Dio era Sabbath. Been listening to Heaven and Hell. really good songs. Most impressive to me is Iommi. Good stuff there. Dio had big shoes to fill and did a bang up job!!!

Heaven and Hell a masterpiece? I heard a well produced album and fine songwriting, but it's not Clockwork Angels laugh.gif

Clockwork Angels wishes it was Heaven & Hell wink.gif

Some of the greatest metal songs of all time are on Heaven & Hell. Neon Knights, Children Of The Sea, the title track, Die Young and Lonley Is The Word. Classic isn't a strong enough word to describe the level of awesome all those song are.

I love just about everything from Sabbath. I was never able to get into the albums with Ian Gillian or Glen Hughes though. But I love the Ozzy and Dio era and the Tony Martin era also produced some very good songs as well. Maybe it's because the album came out when I was first getting into metal but Dehumanizer is my favorite Sabbath album. It was one of the first metal albums I became obsessed with. I bought it on cassette in the summer of 1992 when it came out and I was so blown away I listened to it multiple times a day for a couple of months straight.

Then I saw them in October of 1992 and was blown away by the live performance. Dio was such a powerful force with both his voice and stage presence. There was truly something magical going on whenever Dio performed live. Iommi's guitar was so goddamn loud and heavy at that show, i'm not sure how it was legal for him to play at that volume, or how the foundations of the theater they played in didn't crumble under the immesity of Iommi's riffs. My hearing took about a week to get back to normal after this show and i'm not exagerating on that one bit.

I've also seen them with Ozzy (1999) and Tony Martin (1995). I saw Heaven & Hell in 2007 when they toured with Queensryche and Alice Cooper. Every time i've seen Iommi live, his guitar is the loudest and heaviest thing i've ever heard. How people can say other bands play louder than Tony Iommi does is just a mystery to me.

Tony Iommi is heavy metal 1022.gif

QUOTE (J2112YYZ @ Aug 30 2012, 10:31 AM)
Clockwork Angels wishes it was Heaven & Hell wink.gif

Some of the greatest metal songs of all time are on Heaven & Hell. Neon Knights, Children Of The Sea, the title track, Die Young and Lonley Is The Word. Classic isn't a strong enough word to describe the level of awesome all those song are.

I love just about everything from Sabbath.

that's cool. I am enjoying the music. Played the album a couple of times from start to finish.

I enjoy Triumph's Thunder Seven more than this album

QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ Aug 30 2012, 06:19 AM)
QUOTE (D3strukt @ Aug 30 2012, 01:33 AM)

He tunes his guitar down because it's easier on his fingers. Is that what you mean? Now I'm afraid to listen to Vol. 4. scared.gif

no it's not the downtuning, there's a couple of track that are actually out of tune. I dont have CD with me so I can't point out the exact songs.

I thought they were great in my younger days when I was into heavy metal. Now I think their music is a bit dark for my tastes in general. Mind you, if I come across Paranoid or Iron Man or Heaven and Hell on the radio on occasion, I'll enjoy it, but I pretty much never go out of my way to listen to them.

I don't mean any of this as a put down - they were obviously a very talented and tremendously influential group, just not my cup of tea these days.

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 17 2008, 04:58 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 17 2008, 04:56 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 17 2008, 02:07 PM)
I might even find a copy of the Gillan-era Born Again, I haven't heard that album since about 1983...

I think Zero The Hero is the only song worth listening to on that album.

I seem to remember "Disturbing the Priest" being pretty good...

only thing i remember from that album is i saw the tour and was the last date with my then girlfriend because I crotched her step-dad's weed and speed and it must have fallen to the ground during the "born again tour" concert because when she asked for it back after the show, it was gone. I understand the way I ate my big mac sandwich after the show also had something to do with it as well.

Thanks for the memories, Tick... 653.gif

Well it's that time of the year with Halloween approaching for that sinister sound of Sabbath. Ozzy's menacing mournful wail, Iommi's evil and doom laden riffs, Geezer's solemn brooding bass and Ward's thunderous drumming provide the ideal soundtrack for the season. Here's my picks for the Sabs' 10 scariest tracks.

1. Black Sabbath - face to face with the Devil himself...the definitive Sabbath track

2. Electric Funeral - talk about yer evil riffs and Ozzy delivers a downright demented vocal performance of the hellish, nightmarish lyrics

3. Iron Man - futuristic Frankenstein story...that lumbering intro with distorted voice is still one of rock's most memorable and spinechilling moments

4. War Pigs - another ominous and bloodcurdling intro with some absolutely frightening lyrical imagery courtesy of Geezer perfectly underlined by Ward who really lays it down here. Interestingly, two of the most effective aspects of this track the band had nothing to do with. The siren during the intro and the sped up outro were entirely the idea of either the producer or the engineer.

5. Hand of Doom - "...now you're gonna die!"

6. Megalomania - great doomy intro and appropriately maniacal, borderline insane vocal delivery from Ozzy (which he matches on most of the Sabotage album actually)

7. Into The Void - some simply diabolical and oppressive Iommi riffery right here

8. Children of the Grave - cool spooky outro

9. Planet Caravan - nice relaxed yet eerie atmosphere

10. Wicked World - just for the title alone

For the Dio era I'd mention E5I5O or Falling Off The Edge of the World (particularly the intro)