Black Sabbath...

ozzy85

So we have a Motorhead thread. Anyone into Sabbath?

I like all eras of Sabbath, but I lean a little heavier toward the Ozz-era (probably apparent.) My Holy Trinity of bass players is Geddy Lee, John Paul Jones, and Geezer Butler. Quit getting haircuts 20 years ago and started playing bass due to these guys.

Some favorite albums;

Black Sabbath

Sabotage

Technical Ecstasy

Mob Rules

Eternal Idol

Like Rush, this is a band that manages to not have any albums I totally dislike.

If this thread has been done before, I apologize. I've been here only a couple of months.

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Jun 17 2008, 04:33 PM)
I can't f***ing stand Ozzy Osbourne or his horrible, horrible lyrics, that said I consider Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Master Of Reality absolutely brilliant albums. Nothing touches Heaven & Hell though.

Wasn't Geezer Butler responsible for writing most of Sabbath's lyrics when Ozzy was in the band?

Anyway, I like Black Sabbath. Paranoid, Master of Reality and Heaven and Hell are my favorite albums.

QUOTE (TheRocinanteKid @ Jun 17 2008, 01:33 PM)
I can't f***ing stand Ozzy Osbourne or his horrible, horrible lyrics, that said I consider Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Master Of Reality absolutely brilliant albums. Nothing touches Heaven & Hell though.

Heaven and Hell is great but Sabotage is a masterpiece.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 17 2008, 12:40 PM)

yes.gif 1022.gif Sabatoge is my favorite! I love the early yrs. before Dio. Also, most people don't give them credit for there slower music. I love Ozzy's voice on those tunes and the music is awesome!! trink39.gif

QUOTE (troutman @ Jun 17 2008, 01:52 PM)
QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 17 2008, 12:40 PM)

yes.gif 1022.gif Sabatoge is my favorite! I love the early yrs. before Dio. Also, most people don't give them credit for there slower music. I love Ozzy's voice on those tunes and the music is awesome!! trink39.gif

all the Ozzy albums through Sabotage were great. Technical E and Never Say Die are flawed. http://l.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/111.gif

Edited by Rushman14

Yes, I regularly get out my black box (vinyls have now been retired) of the Ozzy-era albums and the Dio-era albums and the Heaven & Hell live album. I might even find a copy of the Gillan-era Born Again, I haven't heard that album since about 1983...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 17 2008, 02:07 PM)
I might even find a copy of the Gillan-era Born Again, I haven't heard that album since about 1983...

I think Zero The Hero is the only song worth listening to on that album.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 17 2008, 04:56 PM)
I might even find a copy of the Gillan-era Born Again, I haven't heard that album since about 1983...

I seem to remember "Disturbing the Priest" being pretty good...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 17 2008, 02:58 PM)

hmmm its been along time. I only have it on vinyl. I might have to pop that on.

I find it interesting that Sabotage gets such a high rating from people. It seems to be a fave on the Sabbath site I hang out at. Oddly, it came out during a time of chaos in the band (bad management, trying to put a lid on drug use,) but is such a consistently good album.

I've seen Ozzy live a couple of times, but not Black Sabbath. I'm hoping to rectify that with Heaven and Hell. It's basically the Sabbath '82-83 lineup.

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Jun 17 2008, 05:02 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 17 2008, 02:58 PM)

hmmm its been along time. I only have it on vinyl. I might have to pop that on.

I think Trashed was ok too...

QUOTE (ozzy85 @ Jun 17 2008, 05:07 PM)
I find it interesting that Sabotage gets such a high rating from people. It seems to be a fave on the Sabbath site I hang out at. Oddly, it came out during a time of chaos in the band (bad management, trying to put a lid on drug use,) but is such a consistently good album.

I rate the Ozzy-era albums in this order:

1. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath

2. Paranoid

3. Volume 4

4. Black Sabbath

5. Master of Reality

6. Sabotage

7. Never Say Die

8. Technical Ecstasy

On Sabotage i really rate Symptom of the Universe, Hole in the Sky and The Writ...

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 17 2008, 06:30 PM)
I agree that Heaven & Hell is the best Sabbath record. Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is second in my book.

Personally I don't cmpare Ozzy-era Sabbath with Dio-era Sabbath, they're like two different bands really, and Dio-era Sabs even go by a different name these days which kind of makes my point for me.

Its a band that I choose to rock out too, some find them to be "Gods of Rock" which is out of the question. Not in terms of talent but more just because of their awesomeness, this is an amazing band.

Huge Sabbath fan although I don't listen much anymore. I wore out those records as a kid. I have a hard time rating them but Paranoid, Volume IV, and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath were my faves from the Oz era. H&H and MR were both good. I remember listening to Live Evil a lot when it came out. My bands always played Paranoid, War Pigs, Iron Man, N.I.B., Sweet Leaf, etc... we might as well have been a Sabbath Tribute band but we didn't know that was possible.

Edit: The Gillian album was ok (he was out of his element) but Trashed is awesome. there was no Tequila.....

Edited by Ancient Ways

The only Sabbath albums I have are the self-titled debut, Paranoid, and Master of Reality, and I like all of them, quite a lot, especially Paranoid. 1022.gif

I need to ask my dad if he has any more Sabbath vinyls he can convert before I go on a buying spree...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Jun 17 2008, 03:33 PM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jun 17 2008, 06:30 PM)
I agree that Heaven & Hell is the best Sabbath record.  Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is second in my book.

Personally I don't cmpare Ozzy-era Sabbath with Dio-era Sabbath, they're like two different bands really, and Dio-era Sabs even go by a different name these days which kind of makes my point for me.

goodpost.gif I just never got into the Dio thing laugh.gif

QUOTE (Did Lee Squat? @ Jun 17 2008, 04:42 PM)
The only Sabbath albums I have are the self-titled debut, Paranoid, and Master of Reality, and I like all of them, quite a lot, especially Paranoid.  1022.gif

I need to ask my dad if he has any more Sabbath vinyls he can convert before I go on a buying spree...

Sabotage wink.gif trink39.gif