Black Sabbath...

ozzy85

QUOTE (Rick N. Backer @ Oct 20 2012, 02:03 PM)
I love all the Ozzy era albums, but I think the debut has entirely too much "noodling," primarily by Iommi for my taste.  I think Paranoid through Sabbath Bloody Sabbath is their best work.  Sabotage has some great stuff (Hole in the Sky) but some crap too (Am I Going Insane).

The Dio era is, in my view, a completely different band.  I actually ordinarily prefer Heaven and Hell and Mob Rules to the Ozzy era stuff, although I do go through my Ozzy era binges.

I don't like Born Again.  I saw the tour, but as the years go by I like the album less and less.

The Martin era is crap.  So is the Ray Gillen stuff.  smilies-8579.png

For the most part I think it rocks with a precision and sense of purpose quite uncommon for the era until the latter part of the track 'Warning' and even there Iommi sounds quite inspired and keeps it interesting and creative enough with some memorable passages and good ideas that could've perhaps been turned into 3 or 4 fully developed songs. Actually I don't think there's a duff track on the first 6 albums.

The Dio stuff wasn't quite as diverse and experimental as what preceded it but still I think maintained enough of the Sabbath vibe and spirit that it doesn't feel completely different to me. Born Again was a pretty big disappointment at the time and definitely still their worst up to that point but these days I can enjoy it for what it is. After that the band fell apart and for all intents and purposes was over. The name Black Sabbath should have been allowed to be gracefully retired at that point but unfortunately that didn't happen.

I really fell to urge to stand up to defend the Martin era. laugh.gif

Sure it wasn't history in the making, but there's some really good stuff in there. Eternal Idol is brilliant (although if Ray Gillen had sung on it it would be better). So is Cross Purposes. Headless Cross and Tyr to a lesser degree, but Iommi always throws a punch when is needed, be it Nightwing or Sabbath Stones.

I often go back to those albums.

QUOTE (H. P. L. @ Oct 25 2012, 04:33 AM)
Sure it wasn't history in the making, but there's some really good stuff in there. Eternal Idol is brilliant (although if Ray Gillen had sung on it it would be better). So is Cross Purposes. Headless Cross and Tyr to a lesser degree, but Iommi always throws a punch when is needed, be it Nightwing or Sabbath Stones.

Once Iommi recovers Martin could be in with a chance again, with the messed up Ozzy situation, Dio dead, Glenn Hughes busy with BCC and Gillan in Purple...

trink38.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Oct 25 2012, 11:45 AM)

Once Iommi recovers Martin could be in with a chance again, with the messed up Ozzy situation, Dio dead, Glenn Hughes busy with BCC and Gillan in Purple...

trink38.gif

I dunno... Tony doesn't speak too highly of Martin in his book. Correction: he praises his voice, but is very critical of Martin as a performer. Even tells some rather embarassing tales about him... I don't see Martin sharing the bill with Tony again soon.

Oh yeah, right, money. tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

I like the Tony Martin era a lot. After the two most ungodly embarassments ever to the Sabbath name, Born Again and Seventh Star, the music actually felt and sounded like Black Sabbath again with Martin. The dark lyrical themes and evil riffs were back. I felt the Black Sabbath sound was reborn with Martin and there's a lot of good material with him. The albums probably would've been better received if they were released as Iommi solo albums rather than under the Sabbath name. But what's done is done and it's a shame this stuff gets overlooked by so many.

Favorite songs from the Tony Martin years:

The Shining

Ancient Warrior

Glory Ride

The Eternal Idol

Headless Cross

When Death Calls

Call Of The Wild

Anno Mundi

The Sabbath Stones

Odin's Court/Valhalla

I Witness

Cross Of Thorns

Virtual Death

The Hand That Rocks The Cradle

Kiss Of Death

1022.gif 1022.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (treeduck @ Oct 25 2012, 05:45 AM)

trink38.gif

No chance Duck. Last year, or the year before, Martin was looking to do a club tour of the U.S. under the name Headless Cross, sort of like Heaven and Hell, except Iommi, Butler, Powell (RIP), Murray, etc. wouldn't be involved. It got cancelled because they sold next to no tickets. Iommi knows that there is zero interest in Martin, at least in the U.S. Martin, for his part, got dumped once for Dio, and once for Ozzy, and he hasn't even spoken to Iommi since he was fired. He has some pride.

Looked for an official Black Sabbath thread, and this is what I found.

Came across this concert just now. I really liked the Dio-Sabbath stuff back in the day, and this show sounds great. On the opening track Mob Rules, I'm hearing a rhythm guitar behind Tony's solos. Anyone here know what the deal is with that, because I don't see another guitar player on stage.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

Came across this concert just now. I really liked the Dio-Sabbath stuff back in the day, and this show sounds great. On the opening track Mob Rules, I'm hearing a rhythm guitar behind Tony's solos. Anyone here know what the deal is with that, because I don't see another guitar player on stage.

Geoff Nicholls was the keyboard player on all the albums from Heaven and Hell to Forbidden, that's 10 albums. He was also the live keyboard player but he also played rhythm guitar on certain songs. He's on all the live albums of that period as well but just listed as the keyboard player.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, treeduck said:

Geoff Nicholls was the keyboard player on all the albums from Heaven and Hell to Forbidden, that's 10 albums. He was also the live keyboard player but he also played rhythm guitar on certain songs. He's on all the live albums of that period as well but just listed as the keyboard player.

He would also play on the side of the stage. So a lot of the time people couldn't even see him.

• Like 4

On 3/17/2024 at 8:25 AM, 1-0-0-1-0-0-1 said:

Man, does Ronnie kill it here.  Children of the Sea is otherworldly 

• Like 1

On 3/18/2024 at 10:28 PM, treeduck said:

Where's THE CAT lately? He's totally missing out on the ultimate Priest song for him, THE LODGER!

I lost touch with him.   He use to reach out to me to attend local shows ( The Musical Box for one ) but I haven't heard from him in a few years.

• Like 1

On 3/19/2024 at 1:28 PM, treeduck said:

Where's THE CAT lately? He's totally missing out on the ultimate Priest song for him, THE LODGER!

Miss The Cat, and of course Earl, on here...

• Like 2