Sinead O'Connor dead at 56....

At the time of her death, the musician, who changed her name to Shuhada' Sadaqat in 2018 when she converted to Islam, was thought to be spending her time between Co Roscommon, Ireland, and London.

R.I.P.

• Like 4

Sinead was quite a character and commanded the stage.  A shame someone so beautiful and talented always seemed so angry, and  56 is young.   :rose:

• Like 6

Whilst I was not really a fan of her work, I find it sad that such a troubled soul was taken so young. RIP.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, zepphead said:

Whilst I was not really a fan of her work, I find it sad that such a troubled soul was taken so young. RIP.

Same here.

May she RIP.

• Like 2

I should've started listening to her music a lot sooner, I love her and what she stands for. I've always admired her. RIP.

• Like 8

When i was young and stupid I went along with hating her for what she did on SNL.

All these years later, I realize that she was right.   It wasn't about religion, or even the Pope as a person.  She was trying to tell us about the abuses that take place in organizations like that.

• Like 13

29 minutes ago, grep said:

When i was young and stupid I went along with hating her for what she did on SNL.

All these years later, I realize that she was right.   It wasn't about religion, or even the Pope as a person.  She was trying to tell us about the abuses that take place in organizations like that.

In the UK, where there have been horrifying levels of historic abuse (hopefully, now only historic) in every sector from religion, sport, school to politics, her SNL thing got the ball rolling towards firstly a willingness to look, then some investigations, and finally some form of justice for those affected. It's a huge legacy.  It's desperately sad that she was unable to find any peace in any of the faiths she committed too. 

• Like 6

11 hours ago, Chicken hawk said:

At the time of her death, the musician, who changed her name to Shuhada' Sadaqat in 2018 when she converted to Islam, was thought to be spending her time between Co Roscommon, Ireland, and London.

R.I.P.

She was indeed a troubled soul who spoke out on abuses by religious figures long before it was understood what had happened for decades and was covered up.  I find it sadly ironic that after all her anger and mistrust of the Catholic Church, she then converts to Islam.  I hope she found some comfort there but it just seems strange to me.  Sad that talent and life was cut short RIP :rose:

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 4

Team Spotlight proved her right.  Even after the Oscar winning movie, some people still can't accept the truth about these monsters.

The news of Kevin Spacey being found not guilty just makes this news double worse.  F that creep and I say this as someone who idolized him as an actor in my late teens.  If only we could photoshop him with Christopher Plummer forever.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 2

so brilliant with such a difficult life, yet the voice of an angel. apparently she was working on new music. she had a great body of work.

• Like 4

I'm sorry, to see, hear, and read this.  I remember seeing her, and what she did on Saturday Night Live, too.  She was a talented singer, and performer.  At only 56, it might, could be, and is a surprise she has passed away.  She will be missed, and remembered.  My condolences, and sympathies to her family, and friends.  R.I.P., Shuhada (Sinead).  

Edited by Derek19
  • Like 3

Here's what Morrissey had to say about her.

"She became crazed, yes, but uninteresting, never. She had done nothing wrong.

"She had proud vulnerability … and there is a certain music industry hatred for singers who don’t ‘fit in’ (this I know only too well), and they are never praised until death - when, finally, they can’t answer back."

"You praise her now ONLY because it is too late. You hadn’t the guts to support her when she was alive and she was looking for you," he said.

"Why is ANYBODY surprised that Sinead O’Connor is dead?" he began.

"Who cared enough to save Judy Garland, Whitney Houston, Amy Winehouse, Marilyn Monroe, Billie Holiday? Where do you go when death can be the best outcome? Was this music madness worth Sinead’s life?

"No, it wasn’t.

"She was a challenge, and she couldn’t be boxed-up, and she had the courage to speak when everyone else stayed safely silent.

"She was harassed simply for being herself. Her eyes finally closed in search of a soul she could call her own."

• Like 7

I'm pretty sure that many of us knew that she was right, long before she died. 

But what are we supposed to do?  Seek her out, idolize her?   I'm sure she's been supported by fans, others and those around her.  Her situation isn't anyone's fault, she owned herself - problems and all.  

And in my opinion, probably owned the end too.  Just a guess.

• Like 3

Rip, Sinead.  She is one of the first artists I remember that really stood out on MTV.  A beautiful voice and a tortured soul.  She really has a gorgeous voice.  :rose:

• Like 6

On 7/26/2023 at 2:12 PM, jamie said:

I should've started listening to her music a lot sooner, I love her and what she stands for. I've always admired her. RIP.

Her music hadn't been a part of my consciousness for quite a while, but her death coincided with a long road trip I just made Wednesday, so I streamed a bunch of it.  Damn, it's good stuff. 

• Like 6