RIP Charlie Watts

Rushman14

Does this mean that the Rolling Stones are done?

They could continue, but it won't be the same. It would be like Rush with another drummer.

Nah.....Charlie didn't contribute anything like as much as Neil did with Rush

True, but Rush wouldn't be the same without Neil and the Stones wouldn't be quite the same without Charlie.

My test for that is, if you close you eyes and don't see who is on stage and can't tell a difference, it doesn't make a difference. Singers would make the biggest difference but if you're a musician, you may notice subtle differences in how that instrument is played.

Maybe I'm not being clear.

It's not his drum playing - it's his presence.

I must have missed it....

They could continue, but it won't be the same. It would be like Rush with another drummer.

True, but Rush wouldn't be the same without Neil and the Stones wouldn't be quite the same without Charlie.

I don't think I would notice or care that Watts wasn't there tbh.......Neils loss was a gaping chasm.

• Like 3

......and I knew someone was going to make an ignorant statement like this. Watts was part of the core of the Rolling Stones sound. If you can't hear that, then you really don't have the intellectual wherewithal to contribute to a discussion on music.

......and I knew someone was going to make an ignorant statement like this. Watts was part of the core of the Rolling Stones sound. If you can't hear that, then you really don't have the intellectual wherewithal to contribute to a discussion on music.

Hey now, no reason to turn this into a mud slinging match. Fridge is entitled to his opinion as you are to yours.

• Like 4

:rose:

A great pocket drummer that knew the value of minimalism. No hi-hat downbeat? :notworthy:

He was the maximum minimalist. Made less sound like more.

Go on then Charlie, pace the stars.

• Like 4

I know a lot of folks are talking about how minimal Charlie's playing was, but honestly I think AC/DC's drummers always had him beat in the minimalism department. Charlie's playing I would describe better as tasteful. He was always playing what the song called for, and when that meant some nifty rolls to match the descending bass at the end of 19th Nervous Breakdown, or those massive toms in the main riff of Gimme Shelter, he played it, and it sounded fun! He's especially active on Get Off Of My Cloud, which is one of my all time favorite Stones' numbers. Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 4

3 pages of comments within hours, yes Mr. Watts you will be missed.

There is a sound bite somewhere when Neil says he can play CW drumming when he is 80 (?) but I can't play Neil parts at that age.

And now they are both gone :(

In another story Neil talks about a knock at his dressing room. Often adverse to interruptions, Neil is surprised that Charlie came to his dressing room to say Hello.

Sometimes when a certain crowd came over for a "cocktail party" we played "Warm & Tender", a Charlie Watts Quintet side project.

Classy, easy jazz with a decent recording.

RIP Mr. Watts. Our sincere condolences to family and friends. He will be missed. If not for more music, than perhaps for more conversation about decades of being in the RS and the life they lived.

*makes a note to wiki Charlie and learn more*

• Like 3

Keith will really miss Charlie on stage if they go on with this tour and I think they will.

I've seen a lot of behind-the-stage footage and those two are always together.

• Like 5

A friend of mine used to get me some part time work with a security company. One of the jobs was for the Bridges to Babylon tour announcement under the Brooklyn Bridge. My post was outside the restaurant on the patio next to the East River. I could see inside the restaurant and there they were - the Rolling Stones. I was in awe. Eventually they came outside on the patio for a quick photo op. The only Stone to acknowledge me was Charlie Watts. He nodded at me and said how nice the weather was. He was a gentleman. True story.
  • Like 7

3 pages of comments within hours, yes Mr. Watts you will be missed.

There is a sound bite somewhere when Neil says he can play CW drumming when he is 80 (?) but I can't play Neil parts at that age.

And now they are both gone :(

In another story Neil talks about a knock at his dressing room. Often adverse to interruptions, Neil is surprised that Charlie came to his dressing room to say Hello.

Sometimes when a certain crowd came over for a "cocktail party" we played "Warm & Tender", a Charlie Watts Quintet side project.

Classy, easy jazz with a decent recording.

RIP Mr. Watts. Our sincere condolences to family and friends. He will be missed. If not for more music, than perhaps for more conversation about decades of being in the RS and the life they lived.

*makes a note to wiki Charlie and learn more*

The first bit is from the RUSH: Time Stand Still documentary.

The second and third bits are from Traveling Music The Soundtrack to My Life and Times.

I've been sorry, to hear, see, and read this. It can be, and must be a surprise that he has passed away. He has influenced a lot of drummers, and in his own unique way, was an outstanding drummer. He will be greatly missed, and remembered, especially to the other members, and musicians of the Rolling Stones. My condolences, to his family, friends, and fans. R.I.P., Charlie. Edited by Derek19
  • Like 2

I know a lot of folks are talking about how minimal Charlie's playing was, but honestly I think AC/DC's drummers always had him beat in the minimalism department. Charlie's playing I would describe better as tasteful. He was always playing what the song called for, and when that meant some nifty rolls to match the descending bass at the end of 19th Nervous Breakdown, or those massive toms in the main riff of Gimme Shelter, he played it, and it sounded fun! He's especially active on Get Off Of My Cloud, which is one of my all time favorite Stones' numbers.

But even AC/DC wasn't as minimalist as The Marine Girls drummer.

Such sad news. Here's some info about him and the tour:

8/4/21 Veteran drummer Steve Jordan, who has worked extensively with Stones co-founder Keith Richards, will fill in; the 13-date “No Filter” tour begins in St. Lous in Sept. 26.

Watts said in a statement: “For once my timing has been a little off. I am working hard to get fully fit but I have today accepted on the advice of the experts that this will take a while. After all the fans’ suffering caused by Covid I really do not want the many RS fans who have been holding tickets for this Tour to be disappointed by another postponement or cancellation. I have therefore asked my great friend Steve Jordan to stand in for me.”

Virtually from the group’s inception, Richards and Watts have been the core of the Rolling Stones’ instrumental sound: Richards spends upwards of half the group’s concerts turned around, facing Watts, bobbing his head to the drummer’s rhythm. In fact, it could be argued that without singer Mick Jagger, Richards and Watts, it just is not the Rolling Stones.

So Keith is really going to miss him. I never was a big a fan of the Stones as the Beatles but I listened to them a lot because they were good. Been looking up songs on YouTube today. Gimme Shelter is great and just finished listening to Midnight Rambler. Good blues tune and Charlie really shines on it. RIP :rose:

• Like 4

What amazes me is that you could reach the age of 53 and still throw your toys out the pram when someone expresses an opinion on a public messageboard that you don't like

You're the one that has resorted to the ad hominem insult, not me.

And whether you like it or not, it is my opinion that there are a great many drummers who could do exactly what Charlie did....Neil, not so much.

All this has nothing to do with my personal opinion of the man who I never met......

You however, the jury is still out on whether I decide you are a c*** or not :-)

It happened just as Rush were going to take the stage at the Toronto SARS benefit in 2003...

25a48a11415e081f704e7799c1e03896.jpg

• Like 5

He became a very successful man playing the drums. And he did it for almost 50 years. OF COURSE he was supremely talented.

Jagger famously said during an interview that he couldn't picture doing this at 40. Now is as good a time as any to call it a career.

EDIT: 60 years, not 50. Wow.

Edited by Rick N. Backer
  • Like 2

It happened just as Rush were going to take the stage at the Toronto SARS benefit in 2003...

Maybe that's what it was like when Charlie crossed over. Neil was there waiting to welcome him. And Keith and Ginger were arguing about who would be the next to shake his hand.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 5

There's footage of this encounter with Peart and Watts on the bonus features of the Toronto Rocks DVD package.

There's two versions of the package, in which one is a Canadian edition featuring the Canadian acts on the bill.

Back in 2002, The Rolling Stones filmed segments of various stops on their Forty Licks Tour.

These segments were available as clips to buy on the Stones website.

One of them was titled 'We Want Rush! - Alex Lifeson and Geddy Lee of Rush talk about the Stones'.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 1