RIP Charlie Watts

Rushman14

Does this mean that the Rolling Stones are done?

They could continue, but it won't be the same. It would be like Rush with another drummer.

Nah.....Charlie didn't contribute anything like as much as Neil did with Rush

True, but Rush wouldn't be the same without Neil and the Stones wouldn't be quite the same without Charlie.

My test for that is, if you close you eyes and don't see who is on stage and can't tell a difference, it doesn't make a difference. Singers would make the biggest difference but if you're a musician, you may notice subtle differences in how that instrument is played.

• Like 1

They could continue, but it won't be the same. It would be like Rush with another drummer.

Nah.....Charlie didn't contribute anything like as much as Neil did with Rush

True, but Rush wouldn't be the same without Neil and the Stones wouldn't be quite the same without Charlie.

My test for that is, if you close you eyes and don't see who is on stage and can't tell a difference, it doesn't make a difference. Singers would make the biggest difference but if you're a musician, you may notice subtle differences in how that instrument is played.

Maybe I'm not being clear.

It's not his drum playing - it's his presence.

• Like 3

:rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose:

I cannot recall a time in my life where Charlie Watts and

The Rolling Stone's music wasn't part of the soundtrack.

We truly lost a member of Rock and Roll royalty today.

I am very sad, but also thankful for the gift of music he shared with the world.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends and my fellow fans.

Rest in Peace, Mr. Watts.

Charlie-Watts.jpg

• Like 7

I was out having lunch with my sister when we heard the news.

My sister got me into The Stones back in 1966 and we've seen The Stones together 50+ shows. She just adopted a Labrador last week and named him Charlie, after Mr Watts.

This one is tough for us.

• Like 4

I heard on the radio right as i got in my car earlier. Couldn't find a single radio station playing the Stones almost the whole way home, till the last minute. I had heard Charlie was taking a break to have some medical procedure, but it seemed then that it wasn't anything too serious.

Rest In Peace. Understated, sure, but by virtue of his back catalogue alone he was one of the greatest to ever do it, and most influential.

• Like 3

i was really worried that this was gonna happen when i heard about his recent health problems. it just feels so surreal to hear this. RIP Charlie.
  • Like 3

agreed! but they were going to continue a tour with a replacement drummer, though i think it was supposed to be temporary. at this point, i think the tour should be cancelled.
  • Like 1

Fukk

Every time one of these guys goes in for a "medical procedure" I'm going to start worrying they don't come out alive.

I've got his drumming on Gimmee Shelter running through my head now.

RIP Charlie.

• Like 4

Fukk

Every time one of these guys goes in for a "medical procedure" I'm going to start worrying they don't come out alive.

I've got his drumming on Gimmee Shelter running through my head now.

RIP Charlie.

The way he hits those toms is inimitable.

• Like 4

You know I'm just now remembering Dad and I had tossed around the idea of going to see the Stones summer 2020.

I bet you can't guess why we didn't.

No you know what, one more thing.

When I first got into music, back in junior high school, I didn't own any CDs* and I didn't have a record player and I just had the radio and the internet and whatever my Dad said to guide me (oh and Guitar Hero, lots of Guitar Hero, featuring Paint It Black and Sympathy For The Devil). In 8th grade after over a year on just the radio and occasional YouTube and whatnot, I got an iPad for school, and it had a music app on it. Since I didn't have anything to put on that app, I went over to my best friend's house. Their parents' CD collection was decently sized and featured a lot of stuff I was into, and they had a MacBook and knew how to put music on my iPad from a CD. So we looked through the CDs and I found a few that I wanted to put on my iPad: Queen's Greatest Hits (already Queen was my favorite band), The Beatles' Red Album compilation, and The Rolling Stones' Hot Rocks compilation. We also put on the Daft Punk soundtrack to Tron: Legacy and its remix album, and these five albums made up the entirety of my music collection for the next year or so, until I got my own iPad (that one was owned by the school) and my own iTunes account with which to purchase things. For a year, most of, if not most of, what I listened to in my free time was Queen, The Beatles, Daft Punk, and The Rolling Stones.

*okay technically I owned the Hot Wheels Acceleracers soundtrack CD and I had a little mp3 player with just that CD, and a few other songs on it: "Tush," "La Grange," Electric Eye," and The Pickle Song (the live one with the significance of the pickle) by Arlo Guthrie.

• Like 3

Thank you, Charlie. Rest in Peace, Sir :rose: Edited by librarian
  • Like 1

I cannot recall a time in my life where Charlie Watts and

The Rolling Stone's music wasn't part of the soundtrack.

We truly lost a member of Rock and Roll royalty today.

I am very sad, but also thankful for the gift of music he shared with the world.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family, friends and my fellow fans.

Rest in Peace, Mr. Watts.

Charlie-Watts.jpg

This^^^^

This sucks.

Unfortunately many more to follow shortly.

Even more unfortunate, Ozzy will most likely be one of those "many more to follow shortly."

People have been saying that about Ozzy for 30 years though. With Charlie Watts nobody ever mentioned things like that. Charlie was one of those musicians we always thought would be around while Ozzy is someone who we are shocked is still around.

Charlie never did anything fancy, he played what was needed for each song. He was the backbone of The Rolling Stones and always carried himself in both a quiet cool and an elegance that no other drummer had. One of the original rock drummers whose influence cannot be measured in any way. He will be greatly missed.

RIP

• Like 3

One of them said that if anyone else leaves that would be it, however I don't think the others should have to stop doing what they love. Just call it Jagger & Richards or something similar.

Mick and Keith already have solo stuff. So, they would probably just keep doing that if they want to create new material. I can see this upcoming tour being it for The Stones though. They were set to go out without Charlie anyways. Maybe they do a proper farewell tour so everyone gets a chance to see them one last time. But I do think The Rolling Stones are done because of this.

• Like 1