Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees 2021

treeduck

The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame reveals its 2021 Inductees, celebrating the most diverse list of Inductees in the history of the organization. They are:

Performer Category:

Tina Turner

Carole King

The Go-Go’s

JAY-Z

Foo Fighters

Todd Rundgren

Early Influence Award:

Kraftwerk

Charley Patton

Gil Scott-Heron

Musical Excellence Award:

LL Cool J

Billy Preston

Randy Rhoads

Ahmet Ertegun Award:

Clarence Avant

• Like 2

Well it certainly represents diversity ...... but some of it is as Rock 'n' Roll as my left butt cheek ..... but hey ho Edited by zepphead
  • Like 2

Well it certainly represents diversity ...... but a lot of it is as Rock 'n' Roll as my left butt cheek ..... but hey ho

It's been that way for a long time and every year people complain that so and so isn't rock nor roll.

Edited by Fordgalaxy
  • Like 2

Well it certainly represents diversity ...... but a lot of it is as Rock 'n' Roll as my left butt cheek ..... but hey ho

It's been that way for a long time and every year people complain that so and so isn't rock nor roll.

Perhaps they should just rename it The Popular Music Hall Of Fame.
  • Like 5

Rick N Backer must be dancing on the table for the Go Go's !! :ebert:

I don't often think that the Hall does the right thing, but I'm glad they found some way to maneuver Kraftwerk and Billy Preston in there!

witHJSTm.jpg

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1

The Rock Hall is about as high class as a street vendor selling fake watches. They rarely make good decisions, and when they do it's nearly always many years too late. There shouldn't be a limited number of yearly inductions. Everyone who meets a certain standard of influence and popularity should be in as soon as they're eligible, regardless of how many people need to be inducted each year. Or they could just do away with the yearly ceremony and do it on a more rolling basis for an extended period of time. Keep inducting people continuously. It's just ever more obvious that if you want to know the history of rock and roll the internet is the greatest resource in the world. No museum can compete with the historical information a wikipedia article can provide unless that museum is dedicated to a specific artist (like the Prince museum in Minnesota). The whole concept of the hall is outdated, and if they want to have a museum to rock and roll it shouldn't be so exclusive to the point where it upsets people every year.

But whatever. The Foos are in now. That's cool. They deserve that recognition.

Sometimes I wish that there wasn't a Hall of Fame for anything really.

The recipients who're chosen for entry into the hall; there's other's that individual's feel deserve the honor more.

You can't make everyone happy.

Regardless, I'm glad Todd Rundgren is finally getting his due.

I hope Iron Maiden makes the list next year.

Does the sports Hall of Fame go through something similar like this?

• Like 2

Happy for Todd.

He's been involved in all aspects of music for a long time and his early albums are fantastic. Something / Anything and A Wizard a True Star, etc.

We'd drive around in high school and listen to Something / Anything on 8track. :smoke: I did see Todd at the Schaefer Music Festival NYC in 1974 and I continue to see Todd when he's in town. Last time was 2016.

This

http://youtu.be/HmEXwIaSMPE

Edited by custom55
  • Like 1

Perhaps they should just rename it The Popular Music Hall Of Fame.

Especially since years from now there will be few rock acts left to induct at that point. Only one I can think of from the 00s I can see getting there are The White Stripes. Most of the 00s is Disney and boy group pop. Jack and Meg will be eligible in 4 years since their first album came out in 1999.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 2

zOlyPk0.gif

Todd should be in just for his work as a producer. Forever Now by Psychedelic Furs is worth mentioning.

• Like 1

Wait, how is Tina Turner not already in?

I like Foo Fighters a lot but there's no way they should be in yet. Maiden not getting it doesn't surprise me. Bruce Dickinson has told the hall they can f**k off and he wouldn't even come if they got in.

• Like 2

Sometimes I wish that there wasn't a Hall of Fame for anything really.

The recipients who're chosen for entry into the hall; there's other's that individual's feel deserve the honor more.

You can't make everyone happy.

Regardless, I'm glad Todd Rundgren is finally getting his due.

I hope Iron Maiden makes the list next year.

Does the sports Hall of Fame go through something similar like this?

Absolutely it does. For every Willie Mays that is obviously deserving, there's a Harold Baines that makes people wonder WTF.

• Like 1

Wait, how is Tina Turner not already in?

She was already in as part of the Ike & Tina Turner Revue but yeah, as a solo artist she should've been in long ago. Same goes for Carole King. She was already in as part of the song writing duo of Goffin-King (look up their writing output...they wrote a LOT of famous songs) but likewise probably should've been in as a performer long ago.

• Like 5

The Foos are certainly rock and roll and HoF worthy, Tina is marginally rock and roll but deserving, the remainder represent a relatively weak class if we look at their actual genres as performers, longevity, and/or impact.
  • Like 2

The Foos are certainly rock and roll and HoF worthy, Tina is marginally rock and roll but deserving, the remainder represent a relatively weak class if we look at their actual genres as performers, longevity, and/or impact.

Disagree. The hall decided a long time ago that hip-hop would be included, and Jay-Z is arguably the most successful and iconic rapper of all time so he's a no-brainer if those are the parameters. Rundgren has had a long and successful career both as a producer and a solo artist. The Go-Go's were one of the first all-female rock bands to be successful and had a ton of MTV hits.

• Like 1