"Moving Pictures 40th Anniversary"

currygoat11

I would be stunned if they don't release a box set, but it's going to come closer to holiday season and not in March. The Permanent Waves one was earlier in the year but that album literally came out on January 1, 1980 and was coming off a year (2019) with no 40th anniversary release, so it basically came at the 18-month midpoint. They're not going to not do a box set for their most popular and iconic album.
  • Like 4

I would be stunned if they don't release a box set, but it's going to come closer to holiday season and not in March. The Permanent Waves one was earlier in the year but that album literally came out on January 1, 1980 and was coming off a year (2019) with no 40th anniversary release, so it basically came at the 18-month midpoint. They're not going to not do a box set for their most popular and iconic album.

I hope that's the case. I agree with the consensus, just give us a full show from the Moving Pictures Tour, some bonus tracks from some other shows and the other goodies that they usually include. I would love to see an Exit Stage left Video Remaster, with more footage and maybe down the line the same thing to GUP Live and ASOH. But I'd be happy with just the live tracks and the album remaster.

• Like 2

At this point it wouldn't surprise me if this nostalgia train was an express that already pulled into the station.

Yeah. Of all their albums, I was wondering who at this point doesn't have Moving Pictures pretty well covered. I don't think a boxedxset would fly off the shelves.

71A2FVFbxkL.jpg

Just looking at that record sleeve again gives me the shivers. So many memories. It was the best f***ing thing I'd bought in my life.

Yeah that cover takes me back to a very different time in my life. Teenage years.

Equally happy to now, but very, very different.

• Like 1

There actually was a Rush 40th but it did not contain any extra music material. Just a box with some cards and a vinyl pressing with Moon Records replica labels. Nice package in it's own right but would it have been too much to ask for a board recording and maybe a replica 45 of Not Fade Away/Can't Fight It on some tie-dye vinyl or something equally groovy?

Would really dig a CoS 40th with a full headline show

You can Stream shows from the Rush Tour on ABC 1974, and The Very Best Of Rush broadcasting Live: Rare Gems From The Vaults: Volume 1. It's not bundled with the album but these are the best existing recordings from that Tour that we have.

Edited by TheGhostRider
  • Like 1

Of all their albums, I was wondering who at this point doesn't have Moving Pictures pretty well covered. I don't think a boxedxset would fly off the shelves.

well I thought the point was to release something new, like the trend we've seen with these amazing live tracks.

• Like 1

Was going to post this in a new topic, but decided to just put it here instead. It basically fits.

As I post this, today is February 26th, 2021. It's the exact 40th anniversary of my first Rush concert.

Thursday night, February 26th, 1981. Chicago's International Amphitheater. The Moving Pictures tour.

16 years old. First Rush concert. First concert. There with my best friend, Joe. His Dad drove us down there and spent the evening at a nearby bar. Joe had introduced me to Rush about a year earlier. Thank you, Joe. I love you, man!

• Like 8

Sweet, Geddyleegenes. I was about that age for my first Rush concert.

Just to get geeky and peruse Wandering The Face Of The Earth: Tickets: $9.50 - $11.50, Max Webster supporting act. 9,854 fans joined you for a sold out show.

• Like 3

71A2FVFbxkL.jpg

Just looking at that record sleeve again gives me the shivers. So many memories. It was the best f***ing thing I'd bought in my life.

Yeah that cover takes me back to a very different time in my life. Teenage years.

Equally happy to now, but very, very different.

The inner, sleeve man! It was one of those cool heavy inner sleeves, not the cheap paper kind. And those black and white time-lapse photos...

movingpictures-2.jpg

• Like 1

Anyone else kind of disappointed in the MP 40th anniversary? All they did was re-release the 30th anniversary DVD (not even the bluray) and press some t-shirts replicas from that tour. Considering what the band (or the label, or management, or whoever was in charge) did such a great job with the 2112 - Permanent Waves 40th anniversaries; the 2015 masters pressed to disc, 5.1 mixes, bonus live material, etc...

By comparison the MP anniversary doesn't seem to give the album justice. Especially when you factor in that this is their biggest album, and I best most (if not all) rush fans would have killed for a bunch of live material from that tour (live version of "The Camera Eye" from 1981 anyone! I know it exists)!

I don't wanna sound too greedy or something, but I was really anticipating what they were going to be doing with this anniversary edition. Oh well I guess. Hopefully some day we'll get that full live 1981 show....

...unless I'm wrong and they're planning something for later in the year.

The only recordings I'd like to have at this point are the 2015 masters pressed on a CD. Beyond that, I'm mostly indifferent. There's a crap ton of live stuff out there already and it's clear based on what's already been released over the last 10 years that there is more in the vault.unorganized as it may be. I doubt there were many preservation measures used over the years other than the digital backups of what keeps getting reissued.
  • Like 1

Maybe they’re skipping re-releasing Moving Pictures and instead will focus on a live boxset celebrating Exit Stage Left with multiple full shows on cd and dvd/BR including other bonuses

Who knows at this point

They always needed someone or a true group of serious Rush fanatics who want to protect their legacy and make sure the fans get what they want and search the archives and be on the search for rumored rare shows

Guys, they're going to do a real box set closer to the holidays. It's fine.

We can only hope!
  • Like 1

Guys, they're going to do a real box set closer to the holidays. It's fine.

Yeah, lol. Not to mention that Neil's passing last year has to have made it difficult to start work compiling things for a new box set. The Permanent Waves set was already in the works when we lost Neil, but I doubt they had much more than a small idea of what the MP box might be like. And like Thizzelle has said it just makes more financial sense to wait to put out information until we're closer to the holiday season.

I would prefer to see a joint MP/ESL anniversary release with a complete and unedited blu-ray version of the concert film. The original negatives exist (source: RUSH - EXIT STAGE LEFT uncut restored film... Why not?), so just pony up the money to have them professionally scanned and restored and watch Rush fans stumble over themselves to throw money at you.

It's such a braindead guaranteed money-maker that I just don't understand why they won't do this. However, I've been a fan for far too long to expect something like that to ever see the light of day.

• Like 1

With "The Art of Rush - Second Edition" book being announced for release on August 2nd, noted to specifically include the 40th Anniversary releases' artwork, I'd imagine that to mean they don't expect any more 40th Anniversary releases, unless I suppose one for Moving Pictures is announced before August 2nd.

I'm personally in the boat of finding it odd they'd be already promoting MP 40th products and the 30th reissue disc set, and to still expect something later this year.

Even more odd they'd skip MP altogether after these last four releases, but it really wouldn't surprise me if Ole/Anthem no longer cares after perhaps low sales and/or negative feedback. Also considering Any Curran is no longer involved.

That's the problem with Rush's vault content being in the hands of people who aren't passionate about the band. "Not profitable = not worth the effort".

It's really sad and disappointing.

• Like 1

With "The Art of Rush - Second Edition" book being announced for release on August 2nd, noted to specifically include the 40th Anniversary releases' artwork, I'd imagine that to mean they don't expect any more 40th Anniversary releases, unless I suppose one for Moving Pictures is announced before August 2nd.

I'm personally in the boat of finding it odd they'd be already promoting MP 40th products and the 30th reissue disc set, and to still expect something later this year.

Even more odd they'd skip MP altogether after these last four releases, but it really wouldn't surprise me if Ole/Anthem no longer cares after perhaps low sales and/or negative feedback. Also considering Any Curran is no longer involved.

That's the problem with Rush's vault content being in the hands of people who aren't passionate about the band. "Not profitable = not worth the effort".

It's really sad and disappointing.

Be patient.