"Moving Pictures 40th Anniversary"

currygoat11

kerrching!!!!!

I don’t mind them cashing in. I also can’t think of why I’d buy any new editions released regardless of unheard live versions, studio demo takes, or whatever.

100% ---alternate takes and demos are on a tape somewhere, so far as they didn't perish in a fire or something.

A full show from the '81 tour would be nice.
  • Like 2

kerrching!!!!!

I don’t mind them cashing in. I also can’t think of why I’d buy any new editions released regardless of unheard live versions, studio demo takes, or whatever.

Neither do I.....I just won't be buying them....

kerrching!!!!!

100% ---alternate takes and demos are on a tape somewhere, so far as they didn't perish in a fire or something.

I mean shit - just the talkback tape from the recording sessions. Let's have NP's flubbed drum takes, and alternate Geddy vocal takes.

Not to mention - there are alternate mixes - no question. In the 80s it was typical to run off different mixes for review.

• Like 1

kerrching!!!!!

I mean shit - just the talkback tape from the recording sessions. Let's have NP's flubbed drum takes, and alternate Geddy vocal takes.

Not to mention - there are alternate mixes - no question. In the 80s it was typical to run off different mixes for review.

When do you think some sort of package will be announced?

kerrching!!!!!

When do you think some sort of package will be announced?

I think we would've heard something if it was going to be any time soon.

If it's going to be released at all, I'd guess an announcement in Jan/Feb with a release in May.

kerrching!!!!!

They've said multiple times there's nothing in the vaults. I doubt they meant nothing notable instead of just nothing at all.

• Like 3

Don't anybody remind Ged of this. Another 40th anniversary album will upset him again.

Upset him, how so?

:wtf:

Whoops! I just saw this, six months later.

Ged complained in some recent interview or another that he was getting annoyed by all these 40th anniversaries for Rush albums.

I don't think he likes looking backwards very much.

• Like 1

kerrching!!!!!

They've said multiple times there's nothing in the vaults. I doubt they meant nothing notable instead of just nothing at all.

If the original session tapes exist, there is plenty.

kerrching!!!!!

I wonder if they just don't want to release anything that sounds half finished. I mean from interviews in later years I've gathered they never really felt great about some of the material that made the albums before 2112 because they thought it was half-baked. I imagine Ged and Alex don't really view that sort of thing as appropriate to release.

• Like 1

kerrching!!!!!

I wonder if they just don't want to release anything that sounds half finished. I mean from interviews in later years I've gathered they never really felt great about some of the material that made the albums before 2112 because they thought it was half-baked. I imagine Ged and Alex don't really view that sort of thing as appropriate to release.

Yeah that's what I'm kinda getting at. Fans have a different idea as to what's appropriate.

Remember when that Power Windows demo appeared? That thing was awesome! The band probably never thought to release it. There's GOT TO BE more stuff like that. Even the demo drum machine stuff that Alex created in the writing stage. And I'm certain that whenever Peter Collins was involved, there were taped rehearsals, a la Power Windows.

• Like 2

kerrching!!!!!

Yeah that's what I'm kinda getting at. Fans have a different idea as to what's appropriate.

Remember when that Power Windows demo appeared? That thing was awesome! The band probably never thought to release it. There's GOT TO BE more stuff like that. Even the demo drum machine stuff that Alex created in the writing stage. And I'm certain that whenever Peter Collins was involved, there were taped rehearsals, a la Power Windows.

I've never heard of the Power Windows demo.

• Like 1

kerrching!!!!!

Someone posted that fairly recently

• Like 1

kerrching!!!!!

Yes, Rod in Toronto created a thread. The demo is well worth looking out for. It should be readily available to download from the internet. If needs be I can put a link up with the files (although I only have mp3, not flac).

Much more prominent guitar, and keyboards sounding like those on GUP. A few of the songs have slightly different arrangements especially Manhattan Project.

Yes, Rod in Toronto created a thread. The demo is well worth looking out for. It should be readily available to download from the internet. If needs be I can put a link up with the files (although I only have mp3, not flac).

Much more prominent guitar, and keyboards sounding like those on GUP. A few of the songs have slightly different arrangements especially Manhattan Project.

Has a better quality source been found? I first heard it back in 2008, which is when I believe it originally surfaced. It sounded like a cassette source, and not a particularly good one.

• Like 1

Has a better quality source been found? I first heard it back in 2008, which is when I believe it originally surfaced. It sounded like a cassette source, and not a particularly good one.

The version I have sounds ok. Considering it is after all a bootleg of a demo tape, I have no complaints really.
  • Like 1

kerrching!!!!!

The 2112 / Moving Pictures Classic Albums documentary has them listening to the master in the studio with Terry Brown and you hear the non faded out Tom Sawyer, where the song just grinds to a halt. It'd be cool to get some stuff like that.

kerrching!!!!!

This perhaps? I wasn't impressed.

http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?/topic/111127-power-windows-demo/#entry4843629

Edited by pjbear05
  • Like 1

BUMP

the 40th anniversary is in February.

What's up with Ole?

Andy Curran left. Could be a red flag.

Why would that be a red flag?

He was pretty much the guy who knew Rush at the label having had the relationship with them. He had the institutional knowledge of the band and was a contact. Apparently, he still helps them with some endorsements according to that interview just posted above. I would take that to mean instrument and equipment endorsements, but I suppose that could be open to interpretation. Not saying this isn't going to happen, but it may not be the slam dunk we all thought it might be when these were started. I hope someone is still at that wheel. Guess we'll know one way or the other around this time next year.

From a December 2018 interview with Geddy Lee from For Bass Players Only posted here.

FBPO: How interested are you in the ongoing Rush archival projects that have been coming out?

Lee: Not so much. (laughs) Alex gets more involved with them, and it’s more a record company and management idea. Dwelling on the past is not so much fun — dwelling on Rush’s past. I’ve been dwelling in the past history of my instrument, which is a different kettle of fish. As long as they do it with a high level of quality and the fans appreciate them and having these obscure tracks here and there, that’s fine. They pass everything by us to make sure we sign off on it, and there are discussions that go on from time to time. As long as it’s a quality thing they’re releasing, I’m good with that.

Edited by RushFanForever
  • Like 4

From a December 2018 interview with Geddy Lee from For Bass Players Only posted here.

FBPO: How interested are you in the ongoing Rush archival projects that have been coming out?

Lee: Not so much. (laughs) Alex gets more involved with them, and it’s more a record company and management idea. Dwelling on the past is not so much fun — dwelling on Rush’s past. I’ve been dwelling in the past history of my instrument, which is a different kettle of fish. As long as they do it with a high level of quality and the fans appreciate them and having these obscure tracks here and there, that’s fine. They pass everything by us to make sure we sign off on it, and there are discussions that go on from time to time. As long as it’s a quality thing they’re releasing, I’m good with that.

That makes sense to me. Alex has always seemed like the one of them most likely to have interest in their back catalogue. Geddy and Neil always seemed t want to just move forward. I seem to recall Ged thinking Lakeside Park was embarrassing somehow...

• Like 2

That makes sense to me. Alex has always seemed like the one of them most likely to have interest in their back catalogue. Geddy and Neil always seemed t want to just move forward. I seem to recall Ged thinking Lakeside Park was embarrassing somehow...

Guess we'll see what happens.

Since the 40th Anniversary for MP is only a couple of months away and since the album has been repackaged in Deluxe versions multipole times, perhaps a 40th Anniversary for ESL is a better idea, most of us interested in these 40th Anniversary packages just want the live material anyway. So I'm all in for a ESL 40th. Complete 3 night stint at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto March 23/24/25, 1981 on 6 cds with a triple vinyl "Complete Show" Best of edit. Notes by Martin Deller/Ben Mink and Cameron Hawkins on what it was like to open for Rush and a dvd of a remastered concert film with whatever outtakes they have from the tour.

Release Date: October 29, 2021

Anyone have any other requests?

• Like 1

Since the 40th Anniversary for MP is only a couple of months away and since the album has been repackaged in Deluxe versions multipole times, perhaps a 40th Anniversary for ESL is a better idea, most of us interested in these 40th Anniversary packages just want the live material anyway. So I'm all in for a ESL 40th. Complete 3 night stint at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto March 23/24/25, 1981 on 6 cds with a triple vinyl "Complete Show" Best of edit. Notes by Martin Deller/Ben Mink and Cameron Hawkins on what it was like to open for Rush and a dvd of a remastered concert film with whatever outtakes they have from the tour.

Release Date: October 29, 2021

Anyone have any other requests?

Just want all of the McGee masters on CD and whatever live material is in releasable shape.

• Like 1

Personally, as many might feel that "anniversary" releases are feeling tired, my feeling is Moving Pictures should very much be re-released as a 40th.

It was said to be their big break-out, and the songs within the album are very popular. Why stop at any album? Please release them all (unless costs are unreasonable).

Unless data shows sales are not worth it, yes do keep continuing with the releases.

...but...I would hope for very detailed descriptions of the moments, the scenes of recordings, the inside sharing of experiences...at this point, it would make fans feel included.

And please be mindful of "packaging", we don't want miniscule printing of lyrics let's be honest, subscriptions on bottles, cooking instructions on boxes, tiny warnings on the back of packages are useless. We are getting older :)

Let's celebrate the age and music together: Give us the goods and let us add to our prized collections. Moving Pictures is an amazing album and deserves a 40th!

• Like 2