"Moving Pictures 40th Anniversary"

currygoat11

FWIW: Slash said this week that a "Use Your Illusion" 30th anniversary box set that GNR had planned for this fall (the actual 30th anniversary) got pushed back because of COVID. Would imagine something similar is going on here.

https://ultimateclas...lusion-box-set/

I have to admit when it comes to covid vs 30th Anniversary of Use Your Illusion, I'm pulling for covid.

Seriously.

Ain’t that the truth. talk about a band.....who has lived off one great album their entire career....I find it astounding to be frank. The same can be said of a few bands (Nirvana immediately comes to mind who had IMO a vastly overrated debut and subpar follow up and they have been legendary ever since).

There are some good songs on Use Your Illusion I and II. I can count them on my 5 fingers....a bloated double album full of filler.

I bought both discs at the time of their release and never once could listen to either all the way through in one listen. There are some decent tracks but nothing so great that I couldn't even bother making a 1 disc compilation of the best tracks. I liked Civil War

Probably my favorite GNR song ever ironically.

Edited by Todem

That's a very valid point about Use Your Illusion. ..There are some good songs on those albums but also a lot of filler and it really would have made a much better single album if they edited it down to only the best songs on a single disc.

I'm also not one to throw around PC terms, but if the shoe fits... that album(s) is the most misogynistic one I've ever heard by any band. Almost every single song is a angry screed against a woman... "Bitch" this, "bitch" that. Axl was working out some inner turmoil during that era.

Also the the song order didn't make any sense. A rock album always wants to start off with a bang with the best song so why You Could Be Mine was buried deep on the second side of the album where the weaker songs are usually placed made no sense to me. It should have been the first one out of the gate.

I can't think of any classic rock double album that didn't have it's share of filler songs that could've easily been tossed away... Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and Blue Moves records, the Beatles White Album, the aforementioned Use Your Illusions. They are always bloated and indulgent.

I can't think of any classic rock double album that didn't have it's share of filler songs that could've easily been tossed away... Elton John's Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and Blue Moves records, the Beatles White Album, the aforementioned Use Your Illusions. They are always bloated and indulgent.

I think doubles always run that risk, but there are some that manage to pull it off without much in the way of filler. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is one I would consider basically filler free. Minutemen’s Double Nickels On A Dime definitely has some filler, but the songs are all so short and diverse that it doesn’t really matter. You could have revving guitar engines or atonal jamming one minute and a stone cold classic like This Ain’t No Picnic the next.

Use Your Illusion should have been a single album for sure. Maybe even an EP, lol.

I think doubles always run that risk, but there are some that manage to pull it off without much in the way of filler. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is one I would consider basically filler free. Minutemen’s Double Nickels On A Dime definitely has some filler, but the songs are all so short and diverse that it doesn’t really matter. You could have revving guitar engines or atonal jamming one minute and a stone cold classic like This Ain’t No Picnic the next.

Use Your Illusion should have been a single album for sure. Maybe even an EP, lol.

Clockwork Angels is an actual double LP and it's pretty consistent to these ears :)

• Like 2

Clockwork Angels is an actual double LP and it's pretty consistent to these ears :)

This is true!

Though, in the post-CD era, I don't really view most albums that would be double LPs as double albums. Weird trick of perception.

• Like 1

This is true!

Though, in the post-CD era, I don't really view most albums that would be double LPs as double albums. Weird trick of perception.

It's a fair point, my favourite double LP of all time is Warehouse: Songs and Stories by Hüsker Dü from 1987, which has the exact same running time as Clockwork Angels.

• Like 1

Just my 2 cents, but Halo Effect BU2B2 & Wish Them Well could have all been left on the studio floor and no fan would have missed them.

I like Wish Them Well and find Halo Effect to be one of the better songs on that album.

• Like 2

Is it time to start talking about a Signals 40th anniversary release? I’ve lost hope that the MP release is ever happening.

If they don't do the MP 40th box then I highly doubt their doing any post-MP 40th boxes.

• Like 2

It's kind of odd that the band's most famous album out of all of them didn't get the anniversary treatment but every album ahead of it did with the exclusion of the first three

I think it's still coming. It just got pushed back. I saw a article the other day about the effects covid has had on the vinyl pressing industry, and it's definitely backing lots and lots of things up. Even up to a year.

Well , if it were coming in April like my 'insider' from Toronto on said on FB, we'd have heard about it by now.

So I was wrong to post 'April'. Never mind.

Edited by grep

Is it time to start talking about a Signals 40th anniversary release? I’ve lost hope that the MP release is ever happening.

I think about nothing until it arrives in the mailbox. Waste of time. Although Envy Of None, and Steve Rothery's new solo album is really putting that theory to the test.

Well , if it were coming in April like my 'insider' from Toronto on said on FB, we'd have heard about it by now.

So I was wrong to post 'April'. Never mind.

The band really doesn't have much incentive to promote it. Also, I think (just an educated guess) that Alex is pissed at the label for shelving his Victor reissue. I think that may have been the last time he mentioned anything about Moving Pictures.

Alex seems to have his hands full with Envy of None at the moment. They might be saving it for the Record Store Day machine too. Record companies like to piggy back on free publicity of the Envy of None release and have product out there to take advantage of it.

Love Neal Morse Band's Similitude of a Dream....120 minutes running time and I don't consider a single song filler. And I'm not a Christian and generally Morse's proselytizing turns me off but that album just doesn't miss a note from beginning to end IMO.