Do you ever skip songs when listening to an album?

Do you?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

Personally, I never do. I remember when I first bought Permanent Waves I didn't have enough money to buy all six songs on iTunes, so I left out Different Strings. Later, when I got more money to buy it, I found out Different Strings is an incredible song in its own right and I wished I hadn't grown so accustomed to hearing PeW without it. I didn't skip songs before then, but I think that had some impact on my mentality regarding "filler" songs going forward. Often I think the filler songs turn out to be the hidden gems after five or six listens.

NEVER

I had a good feeling you didn't, lol. Glad to hear I'm not super alone!

• Like 1

i did even back when you had to lift the needle off of the vinyl.......

or fast forward a cassette

so much easier today

most difficult format to do so with was 8 track tape

That bit about the 8 tracks made me laugh! I clearly remember diving for the change track button halfway through certain songs because a favorite was starting on another track . . .

Oh my goodness that would annoy me to no end, lol. Especially if I were in the car with someone else and they were the one changing the song halfway though. I get it though, just not the way I prefer to listen to music.

Edited by Entre_Perpetuo
  • Like 1

Personally, I never do. I remember when I first bought Permanent Waves I didn't have enough money to buy all six songs on iTunes, so I left out Different Strings. Later, when I got more money to buy it, I found out Different Strings is an incredible song in its own right and I wished I hadn't grown so accustomed to hearing PeW without it. I didn't skip songs before then, but I think that had some impact on my mentality regarding "filler" songs going forward. Often I think the filler songs turn out to be the hidden gems after five or six listens.

NEVER

I had a good feeling you didn't, lol. Glad to hear I'm not super alone!

Hahaha! You are correct my friend! We are together in this one!

• Like 1

I skip 5 out of 12 tracks on Clockwork Angels

Me too. And I re-order the others.

I don’t skip anything from the debut all the way up to Presto. There are some songs I don’t care about spread out among all those albums but I don’t skip anything. Yup, that means even Rivendell gets played. But once I get to Bones, Echo, and down the line, I’m chopping at will :LOL:

I am in about the same place.... I can play the whole catalog and not skip untill I get to RTB (I never really liked that song), Tai Shan, and The Garden. Yeah, The Garden.... I know you guys love it, especially given recent events. I just can't. Great song, but it represents the end, and I can't go there. Wish Them Well is a great message to end on, for my own view of things.

Edited by grep
  • Like 1

Parts of everyone's posts made sense to me! :LOL:

My listening started in the age of vinyl/the concept album so we used to listen to everything all the way through when new. You wanted to get to "know" the album. After that I had no hesitation about skipping what I didn't like.

I identified with EP liking the filler songs! I often end up liking those better than the "hits" because those were so overplayed. The hits are the ones I end up skipping, you hear them all the time anyway! :LOL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAi0mUv6MVs

• Like 1

Now you got me interested. Which ones do you skip?

As someone who is enthralled by Clockwork Angels it's just interesting to me to hear other people's opinions on it, who don't like it as much as I do.

I skip Halo Effect, 7 Cities of Gold, The Wreckers, BU2B2, and Wish Them Well. It’s probably important to note that I only dislike Wish Them Well. And BU2B2 I barely even consider a song but it’s a track so I count it. The other 3 I just don’t care enough about to listen to.

With Clockwork Angels there’s so much high quality on there like The Anarchist, Headlong Flight, and the title track that I thought I’d check to see how many I actually skipped. 5 was the number.

Snakes & Arrows I dislike and I’m skipping all over the place. Truly, I don’t even really listen to it anymore so you could say that I skip all of it.

I'm not a fan of instrumentals normally so I catch myself skipping on S&A as well. A few songs like Bravest Face and Good News First I've been warming up to lately, and I do like them but not enough to get Snakes out of the bottom spot on my Rush album list.

Halo Effect, and With Them Well seem to be the ones that people dislike the most from Clockwork so I'm not surprised at those. The Wreckers does though - I assume its the music you dislike and not the lyrics but I could be wrong.

Wish Them Well has always seemed to be the more obscure song from CA that most people overlook

Now you got me interested. Which ones do you skip?

As someone who is enthralled by Clockwork Angels it's just interesting to me to hear other people's opinions on it, who don't like it as much as I do.

I skip Halo Effect, 7 Cities of Gold, The Wreckers, BU2B2, and Wish Them Well. It’s probably important to note that I only dislike Wish Them Well. And BU2B2 I barely even consider a song but it’s a track so I count it. The other 3 I just don’t care enough about to listen to.

With Clockwork Angels there’s so much high quality on there like The Anarchist, Headlong Flight, and the title track that I thought I’d check to see how many I actually skipped. 5 was the number.

Snakes & Arrows I dislike and I’m skipping all over the place. Truly, I don’t even really listen to it anymore so you could say that I skip all of it.

I'm not a fan of instrumentals normally so I catch myself skipping on S&A as well. A few songs like Bravest Face and Good News First I've been warming up to lately, and I do like them but not enough to get Snakes out of the bottom spot on my Rush album list.

Halo Effect, and With Them Well seem to be the ones that people dislike the most from Clockwork so I'm not surprised at those. The Wreckers does though - I assume its the music you dislike and not the lyrics but I could be wrong.

Wish Them Well has always seemed to be the more obscure song from CA that most people overlook

As I said, I don’t dislike any of the Clockwork tunes except for Wish Them Well. I just don’t care about Wreckers but I can say that I dislike some of the lyrical phrasings like the “contrary/wary” lines. Still, there are Rush tunes in the past which have lyrics I don’t care about but the rest of the song is awesome enough that I can disregard subpar Peart lines. So yeah , “dislike” isn’t exactly right.

• Like 1

When I rip my CD's onto my computer, I omit lots of songs.

When I ripped Moving Pictures, I even omitted Tom Sawyer. I've heard it ten billion times too many. :o :LOL:

• Like 1

I do skip songs sometimes, but I love an album that makes me WANT to listen to it all the way through. I don't have to like every song for that, but the songs have to fit together in a way that works for me as a whole.

As a member of the older generation brought up on vinyl albums, i tend to feel guilty for skipping tracks, but must admit I do sometimes.

Examples, Do You Close Your Eyes on Rising, No Bone Movies Blizzard of Ozz, S & M Black Rose, Arizona Blackout, Losfer Words Powerslave

Edited by alpha p
  • Like 1

As a member of the older generation brought up on vinyl albums, i tend to feel guilty for skipping tracks, ....

When all we had was turntables and vinyl records, skipping a song meant having to get up, walk over to the turntable, and lift the needle off the record and move it. That's a lot of hard work for just one song.....so we let it play. :P :P

But seriously, when I was younger, buying a new album was a sacred ritual. I played the entire side, and I made myself like every song. I did indeed feel guilty about skipping one or two. :tsk:

• Like 2

I skip Halo Effect, 7 Cities of Gold, The Wreckers, BU2B2, and Wish Them Well.

With Clockwork Angels there’s so much high quality on there like The Anarchist, Headlong Flight

Those are the ones I skip. I pass on the Garden mst times, too

The title track is my favorite and I use it as the album opener.

there’s so much high quality on there like The Anarchist, Headlong Flight, and the title track

More than enough awesomeness to make those other tracks unnecessary.

I love the instrumentals, Working Them Angels. A shame about the material and tempo choices, since Snakes really is an amazing SOUNDING album.
  • Like 1

My listening started in the age of vinyl/the concept album so we used to listen to everything all the way through when new. You wanted to get to "know" the album. After that I had no hesitation about skipping what I didn't like.

I identified with EP liking the filler songs! I often end up liking those better than the "hits" because those were so overplayed. The hits are the ones I end up skipping, you hear them all the time anyway! :LOL:

Oooh, thank you! A present from the Easter tree duck! LQhgHnDm.jpg

• Like 1

Becky can you name your top 5 Priest albums?

Nope, I am a bad fan, I only know 4 that I like and listen to the most. What do you suggest that isn't on this list?

1. British Steel

2. Screaming For Vengence

3. Sad Wings of Destiny

4. Point of Entry

I like Firepower too but I haven't listened to it all that much.

• Like 1

Nope, I am a bad fan, I only know 4 that I like and listen to the most. What do you suggest that isn't on this list?

1. British Steel

3. Sad Wings of Destiny

4. Point of Entry

STAINED CLASS!!!!!

• Like 1

1. British Steel

3. Sad Wings of Destiny

4. Point of Entry

Just get them all! :haz: :LOL: :givebeer:

• Like 1

I skip Halo Effect, 7 Cities of Gold, The Wreckers, BU2B2, and Wish Them Well.

With Clockwork Angels there’s so much high quality on there like The Anarchist, Headlong Flight

Those are the ones I skip. I pass on the Garden mst times, too

The title track is my favorite and I use it as the album opener.

there’s so much high quality on there like The Anarchist, Headlong Flight, and the title track

More than enough awesomeness to make those other tracks unnecessary.

I love the instrumentals, Working Them Angels. A shame about the material and tempo choices, since Snakes really is an amazing SOUNDING album.

For Snakes, I only like the instrumentals and The Way The Wind Blows. Everything else is skippable and very mediocre or I outright dislike it. Bravest Face and Spindrift are easily in the top 5 Worst Rush tunes. Faithless makes me want to jump out of a window that’s closed.

• Like 1

Lynyrd Skynyrd is one of my favorite bands but I haven't listened to Free Bird in a very long time. It's been played to death on the radio. Sadly, it's almost the same with Tom Sawyer.

yeah but if you drink enough you will be singing it as loud as me!!! i prefer other songs of their but its powerful.

ronnie was the man. so many great lyrics.

Skynyrd is a top 5 band for me.

I am a full-album-experience type of guy...I always listen to things that I know I don’t want to skip anything on.

Not to say that I NEVER do...but I always love listening to full albums from start to finish.

• Like 1

Except for live albums, I'm mostly a "random play" guy, but if I'm listening to PF's Meddle, for instance, I'm gonna skip over "Seamus" so I can get to "Echoes" sooner. It might partly depend on what else I'm doing at the moment and the format I'm listening to.

Sometimes I skim through parts of books, so I figure it's about the same.

• Like 1