Your Top Five Favorite Bassists

Mr. Not

5. Geddy Lee

While I'm no longer all that much of a Rush fan (I blame this forum, it really caused me to burn out on the guys...), Geddy's bass playing is undeniably fantastic and he really carried the band through with each and every album.

4. Colin Edwin

Second to Gavin, Colin complimented on Steven Wilson's genius very well. True, there aren't many songs in which you think "man that bass playing really stands out", but that just makes it clear that he's a very humble bassist. When he did show off - he did it right. Don't hate him... ;)

3. Dennis Dunaway

Be honest, back in the late 60's & early 70's, no one could touch this guy. I challenge you to find me someone who made so many involved rock bass-lines at the time. And the thing is that I don't think he ever got that many chances to fully shine while playing with Alice, which is sort of a shame, but at the same time it makes his legacy all the more great.

, Generation Landslide

2. Colin Greenwood

A very melodic bass player, being one of the earliest collaborators of Thom he's a key component of Radiohead. If you're a bass player, learn to play some Radiohead songs on the instrument... You'll notice that there's something extremely therapeutic in the calm manner that Colin plays, and, naturally, it sounds this way too.

(bridge / ending),

1. John Myung

#1 has to be John.. There's just no other true competition. A complete maestro who can both play crazy lines as well as very simplistic ones for the pocket... And everything in between!

Edited by Mr. Not
  • Like 1

Geddy Lee

Graham Lewis

Paul McCartney

Chris Squire

Sting

I chose my top five based purely on playing melodic lines. I don't care how fast you can play, I don't care how many notes you play, I only care if it's catchy and anchors the song.

• Like 4

I agree wholeheartedly with ReRushed as far as what makes a favorite ..

There's got to be more in it for me than just a guy who wants to show off how much he has practiced

- Geddy Lee

- Phil Lynott

- Chris Squire

- Squid

- Gene Simmons

• Like 4

1. Geddy Lee (undoubtedly my favorite bassist, as he made me want to pick up a bass myself)

2. Les Claypool

3. John Entwistle

4. Chris Squire

5. Cliff Burton (was hard to decide between him and Geezer Butler for this spot)

Edited by Natural Scientist in 2112
  • Like 3