Why We Don't Love Modern Era RUSH

JohnRogers

A slight deviation from all the Hot Takes aboot Neil Peart's pending retirement. Perhaps a subject we can all agree on.

Why don't we love modern era RUSH??? I pondered this deep subject recently while listening to Armor & Sword repeatedly along with other gems from Snakes & Arrows. Now we can skip nuanced discussion aboot producers Northfield and Raskulinecz because while there are complaints aboot their choices they are not the problem. I also don't mean to convey a message of hate. Most sane people with even decent taste really appreciate MER they just don't love it. Why??? Because we never formed the deep-deep-deep bond with MER like we did with the Synth Era or the Golden 70's. With the previous two eras of RUSH we bought vinyl, cassette or CD right away. We spent hours per day in our beds looking at the "books" reading lyrics while repeating the album over and over again.

MER came when we were adults with kids, dog, careers, wives, mistresses and fantasy football rosters to manage. No time for spliffy and becoming one with lyrics. So while we dig MER we don't love it because it is not as familiar. I know there will be a very tiny few who don't understand or feel the same way but your numbers are insignificant so close the pie hole.

Why don't we love Modern Era RUSH??? Now you know.

With adult life, and all that comes with it, I need The Necromancer and Cygnus more than ever

Yeah! We need the music that will sandblast off all of the dreck and cicatrix and carbuncles of adult responsibility!

Sometimes "MER" is a weak solution that doesn't work. It seems to relieve the symptoms, but ultimately you need to heavy duty face-melting stuff. Like Permanent Waves and other 70s albums.

• Like 8

I beg to differ that producers aren't the problem. Maybe not all of it, but they are a BIG part of the problem. They're the ones who've been trying to make Rush SOUND "modern", i.e., like every other band making pop rock albums today. Then again, they couldn't do that if Rush didn't let them.

The other part is that over time, I feel like Neil became less of a trailblazer in terms of writing and more like someone trying to impress the people who grew up following HIM. Starting with Presto particularly, he just kinda lost his "edge" (obviously my opinion). The material began to feel shallower, more generic. CA was definitely a step back in the right direction, but again still held back from true greatness by an overambitious producer.

Edited by TexMike
  • Like 2

With adult life, and all that comes with it, I need The Necromancer and Cygnus more than ever

Yeah! We need the music that will sandblast off all of the dreck and cicatrix and carbuncles of adult responsibility!

Sometimes "MER" is a weak solution that doesn't work. It seems to relieve the symptoms, but ultimately you need to heavy duty face-melting stuff. Like Permanent Waves and other 70s albums.

lol

• Like 1

70s era, and MP is easily the best era.

But give me VT and CA over the simp era. You can keep S&A, though, it's a turgid POS.

• Like 1

70s era, and MP is easily the best era.

But give me VT and CA over the simp era. You can keep S&A, though, it's a turgid POS.

Clearly this man is confused, his erratic thoughts are all over the place. Clearly symptoms of Brady Derangement Syndrome.

• Like 1

I love modern Rush.

You won't find me dismissing it like a lot of the old curmudgeons who post here now ;)

I also love modern Rush. Clockwork Angels is one of the best albums they've done, IMNSHO.

• Like 10

I love modern Rush.

You won't find me dismissing it like a lot of the old curmudgeons who post here now ;)

I think this is their third creative peak. First with the 70's, then the 80's synth stuff, and now we're riding another high from the band. If they release something else this decade, I'll have high hopes.

• Like 3

Eeeek, eyes crossing, fingers going numb after too much Amazon tracking. First world problem, I know; but it's why I'm not articulating this very well. I love me some modern Rush as well as the Golden 70's; it's the synth era that I never bonded with. My favorite modern cuts, like Far Cry from S & A and The Anarchist and Headlong Flight from CA stand up as heavy duty face melting stuff as well as the older works, IMO.
  • Like 2

I love modern Rush.

I think this is their third creative peak. First with the 70's, then the 80's synth stuff, and now we're riding another high from the band. If they release something else this decade, I'll have high hopes.

Mmm, multimodal distribution.

• Like 1

Speak for yourself. MER is full of great stuff. Clockwork Angels is a textbook definition of "going out on top".

Remember you don't have to pretend to love it. Not loving it doesn't mean you hate it. You can really like something without loving it.

I love modern Rush.

Mmm, multimodal distribution.

Exactly!