Why We Don't Love Modern Era RUSH

JohnRogers

For me, the modern era is VT and onward. I love all that Rush has put out (some more than others, clearly). But the modern era doesn't give me that same... feeling as its counterpart (pun semi-intended). Honestly, I think the songwriting is still there going strong. I thought VT, S&A and CA were all strong efforts.

But for me, it's the sound. I'm not the biggest fan of the product of Producer Nick on the last two records. VT (well, the remix/remaster) was OK, IMO. But it's the guys, too. One of the things that was exciting to me in the pre-modern era was that they would constantly be changing their gear lineup. Alex would have new guitars, Geddy a different bass to try out, and Neil exploring different drums and sounds (e.g. his electronic kit). Mind you, they also went through four producers in the '80s. But I love love love that each record had its own sound and character, and I feel that is lost nowadays. The guys are pretty "safe", sticking to their signature models and whatnot. And, dare I say it, their performance/compositional style is pretty safe now, too.

Rush has always been inspiring to me because of their experimentalism from record to record. I feel that they are resting on their laurels now that they are so established.

• Like 1

The modern era strikes me as typical of a band that no longer gets in a room together and plays

The end result of a song that is hashed out over and over in person by the 3 members compared to files that are simply emailed and worked on at a convenient time is like night and day

Too much production, too little personal style

Geddy himself said that in bringing back some of the old songs for the last tour, he realized that those old songs were less dense, which in fact made them heavier

And as a guitarist - I've gotta say that Alex lost his tone a long time ago ... I was listening to the Mobile Fidelity Gold 2112 CD, and Alex's sound is so simple and pure - is was tone as opposed to space

Edited by Lucas
  • Like 6

The modern era strikes me as typical of a band that no longer gets in a room together and plays

The end result of a song that is hashed out over and over in person by the 3 members compared to files that are simply emailed and worked on at a convenient time is like night and day

Geddy himself said that in bringing back some of the old songs for the last tour, he realized that those old songs were less dense, which in fact made them heavier

And as a guitarist - I've gotta say that Alex lost his tone a long time ago ... I was listening to the Mobile Fidelity Gold 2112 CD, and Alex's sound is so simple and pure - is was tone as opposed to space

I agree with everything you said.

• Like 2

I knew you would. :LOL:

I agree with all of that. I would also add the invention of the cd gave bands more

Time to play with. There is far more filler these days in general and Rush is no exception. Granted I still like about 75% of their recent output.

• Like 1

I knew you would. :LOL:

I said a lot of the same things up above.

I agree with all of that. I would also add the invention of the cd gave bands more

Time to play with. There is far more filler these days in general and Rush is no exception. Granted I still like about 75% of their recent output.

I do too, and like it a lot. Just not love.

The recording quality for me is why I do not love the modern era. They got it right with S & A and thats why (on top of some very good lyrics and music) I consider it to be the best album this side of Counterparts. Perhaps even the best since Presto.

They got it very, very, very wrong with VT. The remix, to my ears, is much better but still not great.

CA - they got it wrong, but not as bad as VT.

The lyrics on VT are ok. Perhaps, if the mixing of the music was better I could enjoy them more. If I listen to the re-mix of VT more perhaps I will enjoy it more over time. Some Rush albums take a while to grow on me.

CA - decent lyrics. Not at the same level as S & A but ok.

The music on S & A is very good - and I can enjoy it due to the quality of the mixing. CA has some ok music but its not even close to the S & A music. VT has music that just can't take because the mixing is so bad. The re-mix is better but the music is till not very good.

Overall its probably the weakest Rush era - even with the very strong S & A in it. At least thats my 2 cents worth on the topic.

• Like 1

As much as i love the synth era.

Their peak was signals.

it was a very slow decline after.

Mick

Signals sucked. The next three albums grew and grew and often bettered even MP.

Then Presto dropped, and then the decline happened.

Their peak was signals.

Mick

Signals is EPIC. EPIC. Repeat after me. EPIC.

• Like 6

Their peak was signals.

Mick

Epic.

• Like 3

Their peak was signals.

Mick

Epic.

Epic.

• Like 2

Their peak was signals.

Mick

I can burp the alphabet to at least 14 without hiccuping.

• Like 2

Their peak was signals.

Mick

LMNOP is the funnest part.

• Like 1

Their peak was signals.

Mick

LMNOP is the funnest part.

I have this friend fromWest Africa. Elemeno pique.

Their peak was signals.

Mick

Bullshit.

Their peak was signals.

Mick

Signals is amazing. Whatever, more for me...

• Like 3

For everyone that complains about T4E or Counterparts, those albums lyrically trump SA/VT easily.

And the sound is similar in nature.

Vapor Trails features some of the best lyrics of Neil's career...probably the single best collection of lyrics from him when compared to other albums. VT has it's flaws, but lyrics are not part of that equation, IMO.
  • Like 4

For everyone that complains about T4E or Counterparts, those albums lyrically trump SA/VT easily.

And the sound is similar in nature.

Vapor Trails features some of the best lyrics of Neil's career...probably the single best collection of lyrics from him when compared to other albums. VT has it's flaws, but lyrics are not part of that equation, IMO.

I think VT's issues were more of the production sound when it first came out being a little too IN YOUR FACE...the re-mastered version sounds better, and put it back into listen-able mode for me....

I DO remember that when I heard the songs live they sat better.

Edited by Jaminbenb

Their peak was signals.

Mick

Signals is amazing. Whatever, more for me...

Epic.

• Like 1

Their peak was signals.

Mick

sigh.............Signals ROCKS. Music is indeed subjective. but bud you are so wrong here. it's why neil plays with that scowl......Cause you are wrong, lol

love ya.

Mick

• Like 1