Why We Don't Love Modern Era RUSH

JohnRogers

By the way, my compliments to John Rogers for starting this thread. It's just the type of thread TRF needed to bring us all together in harmony once again. :wacko: :cool: ;) :LOL: :lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL:

I aim to please. ;)

I left plenty of crumbs indicating light hearted humor. Oh the outrage of some. Although with all humor this is a kernel of truth. Basic premise: other than production choices MER came at a time when a major bulk of fandom was busy with adult life, in formats not friendly to reading lyrics and liner notes. Thus MER isn't loved as much.

If most people were brutally honest, they would agree that the sun rose and set on their golden era sometime between 76-82

To be brutally honest, I feel like they hit a peak then and then they hit another peak with Clockwork Angels, with the last few albums back to Counterparts being amazing. That's just me though.

• Like 2

I love the Modern era Rush------------got it!!!!!!

No you really don't. You tell yourself that to feel better aboot the money you spent on that MP3 file. You love Golden 70's RUSH and Synth Era RUSH and it's okay to just like MER.

• Like 1

If most people were brutally honest, they would agree that the sun rose and set on their golden era sometime between 76-82

To be brutally honest, I feel like they hit a peak then and then they hit another peak with Clockwork Angels, with the last few albums back to Counterparts being amazing. That's just me though.

Thats you

But I stated in my post "most" people, and although I cannot say for sure, I would wager my right nut that a poll amongst music fans (not just those on this forum) would bear me out.

• Like 4

Thats you

But I stated in my post "most" people, and although I cannot say for sure, I would wager my right nut that a poll amongst music fans (not just those on this forum) would bear me out.

Back in the TRF poll hay-days, the polls did bear you out.

Vapor Trails is my favorite Rush album. Snakes and Arrows and Clockwork Angels are pretty darn great too.

Yeah but you're 12 years old, a statistical anomaly thus your opinion doesn't count. Say three Hail Marys and listen to HEMISPHERES twice.

I sensed a very definite shift in production style during the Hiatus Years of loss for Neil, when Ged went out and created MFH.

When VT finally came out, it felt like it followed the same template that MFH did, from the balance of levels to the use of vocals and instrumentation that built the overall sound in the same way.

Although Rush has used many different producers since MFH, Geddy has really become the "prime mover" when it comes to how Rush albums sound, and much of that can be attributed to the stretching of his musical wings on that solo album, in my opinion.

• Like 1

I sensed a very definite shift in production style during the Hiatus Years of loss for Neil, when Ged went out and created MFH...Geddy has really become the "prime mover" when it comes to how Rush albums sound, and much of that can be attributed to the stretching of his musical wings on that solo album, in my opinion.

I've never given the entire album a spin. Clearly I need to do that.

I sensed a very definite shift in production style during the Hiatus Years of loss for Neil, when Ged went out and created MFH...Geddy has really become the "prime mover" when it comes to how Rush albums sound, and much of that can be attributed to the stretching of his musical wings on that solo album, in my opinion.

It's got some good music on it but it's not great. Ged sounds really good on it though.

• Like 1

It's got some good music on it but it's not great. Ged sounds really good on it though.

this, there are good geddy sounds all over it but there's definitely something missing

• Like 1

I can honestly say this 15 year period of recorded new music, is the band's worst segment.

And it's the sound. For everyone that complains about T4E or Counterparts, those albums lyrically trump SA/VT easily.

And the sound is similar in nature. CA is better lyrically because Neil wanted to write another long form story.

But I only listen to the 1st 20 years of music regularly

• Like 2

It's all Rush to me, there's just songs here and there I care for more (or less) than others.

Since I've listened to so much Rush for most of my days, I've found that I listen or not listen to albums because of what was going on in life at the time. I love Counterparts, but that wasn't during a very good spell so listening to it takes me back to a place I'd rather not revisit in any case.

That said, 99% of the time I listen to the live albums anyway. It's a live band.

• Like 1

Thats you

Quite possibly, I'm just saying what I think.

• Like 1

Vapor Trails is my favorite Rush album. Snakes and Arrows and Clockwork Angels are pretty darn great too.

this is me too except that clockwork angels is my favorite.

So Tombstone Mountain and I aren't alone! :D

• Like 1

It's all Rush to me, there's just songs here and there I care for more (or less) than others.

Since I've listened to so much Rush for most of my days, I've found that I listen or not listen to albums because of what was going on in life at the time. I love Counterparts, but that wasn't during a very good spell so listening to it takes me back to a place I'd rather not revisit in any case.

That said, 99% of the time I listen to the live albums anyway. It's a live band.

this is so true, there are almost no songs that i prefer the studio version of. anthem and the spirit of radio might be it.

99% of the time I listen to the live albums anyway. It's a live band.

Not anymore. Unfortunately. :(

John Rogers, why are you trying to stir up an already stirred up nest of hornets? :LOL:

I understand his pain. They are only at about 70% of what they used to be live, but then they started out way above most of the bands out there.

• Like 1