What Made You Sad Today?

Principled Man

Idiots starting up the fireworks, big and loud. Problem is Rocky is just snoozing in his cage. Lately I had noticed he responds to visual stimuli much more than audio, but this might confirm it. He has suffered some sort of severe, and permanent, hearing loss.

Rocky snoozed through the majority of the fireworks again tonight. He still recognizes me visually, comes running when I appear to let him in when he's out but I am pretty sure his hearing is shot. Not sure if my Vet can offer an explanation.

How old is he?

He's 14+. And take it from a former dogcatcher, Rush's and the the rest of the world's assertions about 1 dog year equaling 7 human years isn't necessarily so. Thers are multiple factors like actual age, size, breeding, etc. For him, it figures out to about 89. Makes him older than I am!

Better for him that he can't hear the fireworks. I wish I couldn't hear them.

I'm sure it's just his age that has made his hearing go.

Your dog has been through a lot.

He's been a good companion. But now I'm concerned as to having him boarded somewhere while I head to MI for combination finish dispersal of Karen's effects/vaca with family & friends. Was initially planning on three weeks there-it's been Y-E-A-R-S since I've had a real trip away from home!

Idiots starting up the fireworks, big and loud. Problem is Rocky is just snoozing in his cage. Lately I had noticed he responds to visual stimuli much more than audio, but this might confirm it. He has suffered some sort of severe, and permanent, hearing loss.

Rocky snoozed through the majority of the fireworks again tonight. He still recognizes me visually, comes running when I appear to let him in when he's out but I am pretty sure his hearing is shot. Not sure if my Vet can offer an explanation.

How old is he?

He's 14+. And take it from a former dogcatcher, Rush's and the the rest of the world's assertions about 1 dog year equaling 7 human years isn't necessarily so. Thers are multiple factors like actual age, size, breeding, etc. For him, it figures out to about 89. Makes him older than I am!

He's been a good companion. But now I'm concerned as to having him boarded somewhere while I head to MI for combination finish dispersal of Karen's effects/vaca with family & friends. Was initially planning on three weeks there-it's been Y-E-A-R-S since I've had a real trip away from home!

Three weeks is a long time, and he's an old dog. Not sure if that's a good idea.

How old is he?

There may be people your vet could recommend that go to your place a couple of times a day to feed him and let him out or even walk him. That's generally less stressful than going to a strange place with strange dogs. You might could contact some local dog trainers who would have that info too or just internet search.

• Like 1

How old is he?

There may be people your vet could recommend that go to your place a couple of times a day to feed him and let him out or even walk him. That's generally less stressful than going to a strange place with strange dogs. You might could contact some local dog trainers who would have that info too or just internet search.

Thanks, but the house is still in disarray from getting stuff out after losing Karen, so I don't want a "pet sitter" He's been boarded away from home before, just for not as long as I'm planning to be away. There are boarding facilities and dog "resorts" in the area, and I have no problems paying for them. The trip is part vacation for me; haven't had a real vacation in a decade. I'm also clearing up final issues of property bequeathed by Karen as part of her will. Both of these have already been delayed by a over a year thanks to the 'rona. If I don't get this done when planned in September, the window closes until next May; not sure I could physically, or mentally, make it till then. Jeez, such a mess!

Champlain Towers Surfside: 54 dead, 86 unaccounted for. As of midnight tonight operations switch from "search and rescue" to "recovery".

My Uncle has passed, makes me think about my Mom. This means all the brothers and sisters are together now. It is a sobering moment, to think all 7 have left us. It happened so suddenly, wasn't able to travel to see him and he was too upset to talk on the phone. At least he didn't linger. :rose: Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 3

My Uncle has passed, makes me think about my Mom. This means all the brothers and sisters are together now. It is a sobering moment, to think all 7 have left us. It happened so suddenly, wasn't able to travel to see him and he was too upset to talk on the phone. At least he didn't linger. :rose:

My sincere condolences, Rhyta. I'm sorry for your loss. :heart: It is sad that you couldn't meet your Uncle one last time. May he rest in peace, together with his brothers and sisters. :rose:

Hugs :heart: ,

Sun & Moon

• Like 1

My Uncle has passed, makes me think about my Mom. This means all the brothers and sisters are together now. It is a sobering moment, to think all 7 have left us. It happened so suddenly, wasn't able to travel to see him and he was too upset to talk on the phone. At least he didn't linger. :rose:

I'm so sorry to hear this, Rhyta. Hugs to you and your family! Losing a close relative is never easy. I know what you mean about your Mom and her brothers and sisters. My dad was an only child, but one of 17 first cousins to each other. He was the next to last to pass and only one of them is left now. I hope the memories can be a comfort to you. :rose:

Edited by blueschica
  • Like 1

That's so sad. It rough getting old - you watch people go one by one.

But he went the best way - fast.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

My Uncle has passed, makes me think about my Mom. This means all the brothers and sisters are together now. It is a sobering moment, to think all 7 have left us. It happened so suddenly, wasn't able to travel to see him, and he was too upset to talk on the phone. At least, he didn't linger. :rose:

I'm sorry, to know that. I didn't know of anything your uncle was going through. Even not having a big family, it must've been sad. During the Coronavirus pandemic, it would be, and has been awkward not being able to travel. My condolences, to the rest of the family.

• Like 1

WARNING,WARNING! TRAGEDY ALERT!

I pick up this morning's Sun-Sentinel and the front page is a damn shitstorm:

New Covid cases nearly double in FL, 1 in 5 new cases, +21% as of 7/14/21.

Just under 2,100 food service businesses in Dade, Broward, Palm Beach, and Monroe counties received $597.6 million in Restaurant Revitalization Fund money before the Fund (total nationally of $ 28.6 billion) ran dry.

They're racing around like madmen trying to save people from the floods sweeping across Europe; 125 fatalities so far.

Locally, after a man and woman have a heated verbal exchange, the man drives off with the woman's 3 year old son in the car. The man loses control of the Mercedes convertible, and stuffs it into a tree, splitting and shattering it as well as setting it aflame. The man dies in the crash, the 3 year old perishes in the flames. I saw a video of the scene, the Benz was in fcuking pieces, worse than the Suv that was hit by the plane crashing near the house a while ago.

Jezuz K, heart wrenching.

Edited by pjbear05

After a four-year intensive professional relationship my hair stylist said that he's no longer able to cut women's hair (= touch women) for religious reasons. I've visited his barber shop every three weeks for a haircut and he's done a perfect job, but now it's over. I said I do understand that it's not good for any person to act against his/her belief or conscience and that I accept and respect his conviction he has grown into within a year or so. We were both sad and said goodbye.

He's of no doubt the most skillful barber in this tiny town, so it's a loss. I'm very precise about how my short hair is cut: the result has to be cool, clean and classy. Finding a good barber is hard. Finding a great one is rare.

I don't have any bad feelings for him, and I can still recommend his quality work for men looking for a barber. I'm confused and sad, however. As we all know, religion is a powerful thing, and sometimes it comes between two people even after years of learning to know each other. That's not how I want to live my life but at the same time, a myriad different ways to live exist. Mine is only one of them.

Edited by Sun & Moon
  • Like 2

My mother discovered, after a full body scan, that she has a fractured sacrum, which explains the extreme pain she has been in since she injured herself lifting - don`t laugh - a heavy shopping bag from the car on 16th May! So in many ways she`s been quite heroic for some time, walking and driving and gardening whilst broken. At 71 and with astonishingly weak bone density she could in fact be crumbling from the inside. But otherwise, she`s in good shape. We keep telling her it`ll be easier to look after her and my Dad if they move to Scotland as they could buy a big old castle and I could move in, you know, if it helped :cool: ...
  • Like 1

After giving Rocky a bath, I noticed he had serious problems walking, as though his rear end couldn't hold him up. Age (14+), arthritis, joint breakdown, could be anything. I'll keep an eye on him, and may need to take him to the vet on Monday. Very scary.

My mother discovered, after a full body scan, that she has a fractured sacrum, which explains the extreme pain she has been in since she injured herself lifting - don`t laugh - a heavy shopping bag from the car on 16th May! So in many ways she`s been quite heroic for some time, walking and driving and gardening whilst broken. At 71 and with astonishingly weak bone density she could in fact be crumbling from the inside. But otherwise, she`s in good shape. We keep telling her it`ll be easier to look after her and my Dad if they move to Scotland as they could buy a big old castle and I could move in, you know, if it helped :cool: ...

I hope she heals soon! Glad they were able to figure it out. I can imagine my mom being the same way. Good idea about the castle! ;) ;)

• Like 1

After giving Rocky a bath, I noticed he had serious problems walking, as though his rear end couldn't hold him up. Age (14+), arthritis, joint breakdown, could be anything. I'll keep an eye on him, and may need to take him to the vet on Monday. Very scary.

Hugs to you and Rocky; that sounds scary. I hope all turns out OK, I know he is your special bud. :heart:

• Like 3

After a four-year intensive professional relationship my hair stylist said that he's no longer able to cut women's hair (= touch women) for religious reasons. I've visited his barber shop every three weeks for a haircut and he's done a perfect job, but now it's over. I said I do understand that it's not good for any person to act against his/her belief or conscience and that I accept and respect his conviction he has grown into within a year or so. We were both sad and said goodbye.

He's of no doubt the most skillful barber in this tiny town, so it's a loss. I'm very precise about how my short hair is cut: the result has to be cool, clean and classy. Finding a good barber is hard. Finding a great one is rare.

I don't have any bad feelings for him, and I can still recommend his quality work for men looking for a barber. I'm confused and sad, however. As we all know, religion is a powerful thing, and sometimes it comes between two people even after years of learning to know each other. That's not how I want to live my life but at the same time, a myriad different ways to live exist. Mine is only one of them.

Any idea what religion he is a part of?

Any idea what religion he is a part of?

I don't know, since he said he's been attending different religious events.

I hope she'll get better soon and get rid of the pain.

I'm sure walking up and down the countless stairs in the castle would help your parents keep fit. ;)

• Like 2

:( :( :( :heart: Poor Rocky. Hope he'll be fine and get all the veterinary help needed.

• Like 1

:( :( :( :heart: Poor Rocky. Hope he'll be fine and get all the veterinary help needed.

Thanks all, Rocky is a little more stable on his feet, although this morning was one of the rare ones that I beat him out of bed. He still has issues on the kitchen floor, which is clad in the house's original terrazzo. He slips and goes to ground, needing me to help him up. Immediate vet visit postponed for now.

Went to my brother’s wedding in Chicago over this past weekend. Ceremony and then reception immediately following, right in the same location.

The wedding isn’t what made me sad.

My father has prostate cancer, and even though I’ve seen him once or twice a month or so, since the beginning of the summer (that is kind of a lot, for us)- this was the first time in his life that I’ve ever seen him as an old man.

He’s 76, and has always been in exceptionally good health- but this is taking him down, from what I could see.

He just sat, all night, and didn’t say a whole lot. He got up and danced with his wife, a slow song, not a lot of movement- for about three minutes. And that was it. That was the most energy I saw him expend.

Went to my brother’s wedding in Chicago over this past weekend. Ceremony and then reception immediately following, right in the same location.

The wedding isn’t what made me sad.

My father has prostate cancer, and even though I’ve seen him once or twice a month or so, since the beginning of the summer (that is kind of a lot, for us)- this was the first time in his life that I’ve ever seen him as an old man.

He’s 76, and has always been in exceptionally good health- but this is taking him down, from what I could see.

He just sat, all night, and didn’t say a whole lot. He got up and danced with his wife, a slow song, not a lot of movement- for about three minutes. And that was it. That was the most energy I saw him expend.

:hug2: I'm so sorry to hear your dad is battling cancer. I'm glad he was able to attend the wedding, though, and store up some memories. I'm glad to hear he got to see you and your brother and family.

• Like 3