What Made You Sad Today?

Principled Man

Last night I was listening to The Police. One Police album in particular reminds me of a man that I fell hard and fast for in 1983. However, the feeling was not mutual. This occupied two years of my life and led me into my second rehab and then a halfway house. One song in particular that always reminds me of him and that time is The Police's "You'll Be Wrapped Around My Finger."

For whatever reason, when I was listening to it last night, I decided to put this person's name into the search engine and see what would come up.

What came up was his obituary. He died last August.

Geez. Those kinds of things always shake me a bit.

It shook me all right. I found out right in the middle of the song I used to play and cry my eyeballs out over him all those years ago. What made it worse is that his obit had a picture of him too. :sigh:

Three years ago a girlfriend I had in high school was killed when a tour bus crashed in Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula. I hadn't seen her since high school, and it was shocking to hear that she had died. It felt like I was back in school, had just shown up to class and been told the news.

A student of mine was killed in car collision; the 82-year-old driver coming the other way crossed the center line and hit him head on. All three people in the two cars died.

Horrifying. I'm so sorry to hear this. Losing a student is awful. :(
  • Like 2

A student of mine was killed in car collision; the 82-year-old driver coming the other way crossed the center line and hit him head on. All three people in the two cars died.

This sounds terrible. What a horrible thing for the families involved! Hugs to you and your students. :hug2:

• Like 2

Last night I was listening to The Police. One Police album in particular reminds me of a man that I fell hard and fast for in 1983. However, the feeling was not mutual. This occupied two years of my life and led me into my second rehab and then a halfway house. One song in particular that always reminds me of him and that time is The Police's "You'll Be Wrapped Around My Finger."

For whatever reason, when I was listening to it last night, I decided to put this person's name into the search engine and see what would come up.

What came up was his obituary. He died last August.

Geez. Those kinds of things always shake me a bit.

It shook me all right. I found out right in the middle of the song I used to play and cry my eyeballs out over him all those years ago. What made it worse is that his obit had a picture of him too. :sigh:

Three years ago a girlfriend I had in high school was killed when a tour bus crashed in Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula. I hadn't seen her since high school, and it was shocking to hear that she had died. It felt like I was back in school, had just shown up to class and been told the news.

That's awful, life is so random and cruel at times.

• Like 1

While on my road trip yesterday traffic backs up in the left lane of a divided roadway due to what appears to be a low lying black cloud. As I pull aroundI see the cloud is coming from a Kia Sportage whose engine compartment also has flames blasting from it. An FHP Trooper pulls up as I clear the intersection and drive on. Sure hope the driver and occupants made it out OK. :scared:
  • Like 1

Been upset since yesterday afternoon about an animal cruelty incident in Salt Lake County. Some monster decided he would get revenge on his ex-girlfriend by kidnapping her daughters dog. Then stops and sets the dog on fire. She was horribly burned but some quick acting bystanders put the flames out and she was taken to a special emergency vet. They got a bunch of donations to help treat the dog and it was looking like they might save her. But today the owner said they will have to put her down, she is in such severe pain and they think she wouldn't live long anyway. Every time I think of it, I just start crying. :( There are some sick SOB's in this world. They have the disgusting scumbag in custody and I hope he gets the book thrown at him. :rage:
  • Like 1

Been upset since yesterday afternoon about an animal cruelty incident in Salt Lake County. Some monster decided he would get revenge on his ex-girlfriend by kidnapping her daughters dog. Then stops and sets the dog on fire. She was horribly burned but some quick acting bystanders put the flames out and she was taken to a special emergency vet. They got a bunch of donations to help treat the dog and it was looking like they might save her. But today the owner said they will have to put her down, she is in such severe pain and they think she wouldn't live long anyway. Every time I think of it, I just start crying. :( There are some sick SOB's in this world. They have the disgusting scumbag in custody and I hope he gets the book thrown at him. :rage:

:( :( :( :rage: :rage: :rage: This kind of cruelty makes me very sad, disgusted and angry.

• Like 1

That's awful! I hope he gets the maximum punishment. It seems like there is more information available now that people who commit violent crimes often have a history of abusing animals. I hope the judge keeps that in mind. Poor sweet dog.

• Like 3

While on my road trip yesterday traffic backs up in the left lane of a divided roadway due to what appears to be a low lying black cloud. As I pull aroundI see the cloud is coming from a Kia Sportage whose engine compartment also has flames blasting from it. An FHP Trooper pulls up as I clear the intersection and drive on. Sure hope the driver and occupants made it out OK. :scared:

From today's Sun-Sentinel, Kia recalling 380,000 vehicles, including Sportages, "due to a risk of engine compartment fire."

A 4 year old boy died yesterday of injuries sustained when the SUV he was riding in was hit by a private plane which crashed while attempting to land at an airport less than a mile from my house. The Beechcraft Bonanza skidded a short distance after hitting the SUV before bursting into flames. The plane's pilot and one passenger were killed at the scence. The crash, which was recorded by a nearby house owners Ring camera, was particularly horrific. :(

A 4 year old boy died yesterday of injuries sustained when the SUV he was riding in was hit by a private plane which crashed while attempting to land at an airport less than a mile from my house. The Beechcraft Bonanza skidded a short distance after hitting the SUV before bursting into flames. The plane's pilot and one passenger were killed at the scence. The crash, which was recorded by a nearby house owners Ring camera, was particularly horrific. :(

Man, that's horrible. I can't even imagine the feelings of his loved ones in this loss. :(

• Like 1

A guy I went to high school with and have seen at a bunch of high-school gatherings in the past six or seven years is about to be taken off life support, he's had covid since early feb. We're not close or anything but my high school was pretty small so everyone pretty much knew everybody.

A guy I went to high school with and have seen at a bunch of high-school gatherings in the past six or seven years is about to be taken off life support, he's had covid since early feb. We're not close or anything but my high school was pretty small so everyone pretty much knew everybody.

It's still hard to think of losing someone and how their close friends and family must feel. What a difficult time we have been living through- I'm sorry to hear this about your friend.

• Like 3

Arclight theaters are closing down. I went to the dome once to see Bourne Ultimatum. Last one I saw at an Arclight was Rocket Man at the Santa Monica location. Nice place to go to if you want to see a movie that's in limited theaters before it expands. I did this for Juno and Three Billboards in Hollywood. This wouldn't happen if Karens and sheeple would listen to scientists and not dumb terrorist from Queens and wear their masks.

I've seen some people suggest that Quentin Tarantino should buy it and save the company. Would be nice.

Edited by invisible airwave

I wanted to get 5 one dollar bills from my bank...i was to tired to go in so i went thru the drive thru. I put the $5 bill in the tray... as i looked away i guess that $5 blew away. It was pretty windy. The teller told me...i wasnt paying attention. I got out and looked around everywhere...even she came out. We couldnt find it. What the hell? Where did it go. So i gave up..took it as a loss.

I wanted to get 5 one dollar bills from my bank...i was to tired to go in so i went thru the drive thru. I put the $5 bill in the tray... as i looked away i guess that $5 blew away. It was pretty windy. The teller told me...i wasnt paying attention. I got out and looked around everywhere...even she came out. We couldnt find it. What the hell? Where did it go. So i gave up..took it as a loss.

Ugh! It must be the week for that. I was at our bank drive up earlier this week and a woman was out running around her van, trying to collect money the wind had blown out of the tray. She told me she found it all but . . . $5.00 :)

• Like 2

Ugh! It must be the week for that. I was at our bank drive up earlier this week and a woman was out running around her van, trying to collect money the wind had blown out of the tray. She told me she found it all but . . . $5.00 :)

Wow...i bet it happens often.
  • Like 1

Aw, hell, we lost Tom Shannon. The long time top DJ at CKLW, "The Big 8" in Windsor, Ontario, has passed away from pancreatic cancer. RIP, Tom. Edited by pjbear05