Which Rush album took the longest to grow on you?

Rush Fan in Michigan

We're at No. 12 in the R40 Countdown, and I'm picking "Clockwork Angels" and Will's got "Fly by Night."

http://metsguyinmichigan.blogspot.com/2015/03/rush-r40-countdown-at-no-12-did.html

I confess that it took me a long time to get into "Clockwork." It was pretty much "The Wreckers" that finally got me into it. But it took a while.

Hold Your Fire or Test for Echo haven't grown on me, but one that I find decent would be Roll The Bones.

I don't count Vapor Trails because of it's horrible production. I was never even able to listen to it much until the remix. Other than that, I'd have to say Power Windows. It's just been in the past two years that I've really learned to appreciate it. It was always so anti prog-Rush that I just couldn't get into it.

Hold Your Fire and Roll the Bones

Those are the ones that I really held off from listening but it turns out I don't mind them at all! Hold Your Fire is quite solid for a Rush album.

HYF. Took about 28 years. I can say without exaggeration that it took over 20 years before my first listen as I had been so turned off by the Time Stand Still video following on the heels of the massive shock to my system that was the Rush/Thompson Twins collaboration PoW. But I now I can sort of appreciate HYF, and I respect it quite a bit more. Not my favorite sound but Rush chose an approach and did it really well. PoW, Presto and RTB are still on the clock though.
  • Like 1

^^ Have you ever seen the Seinfeld where Jerry talks about "Bizarro Superman," or when George becomes "Opposite George." In the universe of Rush, you're like my Bizarro Fan, or Opposite Me. That's fine just makes me smile. :)

I'd have to say Power Windows, which I now love.

This. ^

It took me about 25 years to understand the beauty of Power Windows. I also now really love it. Whereas before I just thought it was too thin-sounding and too lightweight (and Hold Your Fire notwithstanding, i didn't care much for the synth era in general)- I now recognize that the songwriting and the musicianship are first-rate. It's really, really good.

It's a tie, Power Windows and Hold Your Fire.

Power Windows is more a concept album than any other Rush album.

Hold Your Fire is one of Neil Peart's strongest set of lyrics. And under all the keyboards, Alex Lifeson shines. Also, it might be Geddy's best set of melodies.

• Like 1

Another vote for Presto. It took years for it to finally grow on me. Love it now.

Though I guess technically the answer would be S&A, but because it STILL hasn't grown on me, the "finally" part hasn't happened yet...

Hemispheres. Mainly because I became a fan in the A Show of Hands/Presto period. Hemispheres was like visiting another planet...so much to absorb and "get".

Now it's a top 4 album to me.

• Like 1

After being totally hooked by AFTK and Hemispheres... I'd have to say Permanent Waves....

They went in a slightly different direction at the time, and it took me a LITTLE while to really warm up to that album...but once I did, I was thoroughly HOOKED!

After being totally hooked by AFTK and Hemispheres... I'd have to say Permanent Waves....

They went in a slightly different direction at the time, and it took me a LITTLE while to really warm up to that album...but once I did, I was thoroughly HOOKED!

I have a question for you.

Do you remember which songs on Permanent Waves you initially liked, or did you not care for the entire album?