green day, as shitty as they are, fit the criteria. they're popular, influential (even though they just spawned shitass bands like good charlottle and blink-182), critically acclaimed.

f**k the hall of fame though

• Like 2

Steven Van Zandt put it best when he talked about the Rock Hall's only good because it gives old rockers that were forgotten a big night in the limelight again. It gives these 50's guys who were heavily drawn from by artists in the 60's a bit of recognition. But otherwise, it's bullshit

I should be in charge of next years inductions:

Yes

Kansas

Deep Purple

No Doubt

The Doors (or are they already in?)

Creedence Clearwater Revival (in?)

Toto

• Like 1

Green Day inducted before Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, Bad Religion and Misfits is a f***ing joke. :facepalm:

Husker Du and The Replacments as well.

see, that's one thing I don't get - even the critics liked those bands.

I guess they probably know that guys like bob mould and greg ginn wouldn't show up to a thing like this anyway

Green Day deserve it.

Not a fan, but they provide the music charts with more intelligence than a thousand Katy Perry's, put on a spectacular show, and have a rabid fanbase larger than that of Rush.

And Rush entered first. That is all that i care about!

Green Day are a commercial rock band that don't suck anywhere near as much as one would expect, considering their peers (Blink 182, Sum 41, Good Charlotte).

Plus it gives me hope that Jimmy Eat World have a shot. I love them.

• Like 1

Well, the Rock Hall is inducting another group of musicians, and they are

Green Day

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Lou Reed

Joan Jett & The Blackhearts

Bill Withers

The Paul Butterfield Blues Band

Additionally the 5 Royals will receive the early influences award, and Ringo Starr will receive the Award of Excellence.

As a reminder, these are the groups that did not make the cut this year.

Yes

Deep Purple

Iron Maiden

Judas Priest

Jethro Tull

The Moody Blues

Boy George

Fixed...

Double Fixed

That last group should be the nominees!

Ozzy should be in as a solo artist. Lou Reed is a f***ing fraudulent pick, a glorified one hit wonder, whose dick was never dry after a Rolling Stone interview. Stevie Ray Vaughn was a very good choice. An 80s band or two should get in, like Motley Crue or Judas Priest....

Lou Reed had a very challenging and fulfilling solo career. Yes, at best, he's an acquired taste, but he is one of the most influential rock songwriters ever. And yes, he could be an arrogant and obnoxious dick.

Prog Rock and Heavy Metal get the shaft from, the dubiously named, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. No Yes? No King Crimson? No Jethro Tull? No Deep Purple? No Iron Maiden? No Judas Priest?

Black Sabbath and Genesis are in. Genres covered.

Yes

Kansas

Deep Purple

No Doubt

Toto

No Doubt have two more years to be eligible. CCR is in and you better believe a legend like Morrison got in 1st year of eligibility. Eddie Vedder inducted The Doors in 1993. People become eligible 25 years after they released their first album.

Edited by invisible airwave

Ozzy should be in as a solo artist. Lou Reed is a f***ing fraudulent pick, a glorified one hit wonder, whose dick was never dry after a Rolling Stone interview. Stevie Ray Vaughn was a very good choice. An 80s band or two should get in, like Motley Crue or Judas Priest....

Lou Reed had a very challenging and fulfilling solo career. Yes, at best, he's an acquired taste, but he is one of the most influential rock songwriters ever. And yes, he could be an arrogant and obnoxious dick.

I think he may be the single most overrated artist ever. I never got him, his mediocre writing, or his horrible voice. To me he was just that guy everybody wanted to be into because he was an artsy guy. Bleh. :)
  • Like 3

I think he may be the single most overrated artist ever. I never got him, his mediocre writing, or his horrible voice. To me he was just that guy everybody wanted to be into because he was an artsy guy. Bleh. :)

Opinions, that's the gist. He wrote songs like "I'm Waiting for the Man", "Pale Blue Eyes", "Sweet Jane", "Perfect Day", "Street Hassle"....

All these songs, a small sampling, by the way, have very good lyrics, great melodies and harmonies, good hooks...

Again, Lou Reed is not for everybody, but the man wrote some great songs that are ignored because of pre-conceived opinions.

At his best, he was among the best.

IMHO...

• Like 1

Yes

Kansas

Deep Purple

No Doubt

Toto

No Doubt have two more years to be eligible. CCR is in and you better believe a legend like Morrison got in 1st year of eligibility. Eddie Vedder inducted The Doors in 1993. People become eligible 25 years after they released their first album.

Seriously? No Doubt?

• Like 2

Yes

Kansas

Deep Purple

No Doubt

Toto

Seriously? No Doubt?

No Doubt is TORTURE!!!! my little cousin loves them.......that's the only reason i know.

Mick

Wow, what a strange bunch of nominations :facepalm: while I like the blues oriented ones ( Stevie Ray Vaughan, Bill Withers,

The Paul Butterfield Blues Band) I am underwhelmed and also thought, Green Day?? They get in on their first eligible year? Meanwhile Yes, Deep Purple et al have been waiting for decades. Guess we shouldn't be surprised seeing how long it took for Rush to make it and that was because we voted them in!! :eh: Now I would take Sting over Lou Reed, both arrogant but Sting has a much better body of work :coy: At least Ringo will get a nice award :clap:

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 1

Opinions, that's the gist. He wrote songs like "I'm Waiting for the Man", "Pale Blue Eyes", "Sweet Jane", "Perfect Day", "Street Hassle"....

All these songs, a small sampling, by the way, have very good lyrics, great melodies and harmonies, good hooks...

Again, Lou Reed is not for everybody, but the man wrote some great songs that are ignored because of pre-conceived opinions.

At his best, he was among the best.

IMHO...

No worries, its all about personal taste. I never thought he was great, including the songs youve listed, but its all personal taste. The fact that he was a douche doesnt really affect my opinion, I enjoy the art of many an as-hole :)

They deserve it more than Joan Jett and the Blackhearts.

If Webster's wants to use this as the example of how to use the phrase "damning with faint praise", they're welcome to do so.

Green Day wrote songs criticizing George W. Bush. So now you know why they join Obama and Carter as underserving laureates.

• Like 1

If Webster's wants to use this as the example of how to use the phrase "damning with faint praise", they're welcome to do so.

Green Day wrote songs criticizing George W. Bush. So now you know why they join Obama and Carter as underserving laureates.

:facepalm: why bring politics in to this? :eh:

<burp> why not? :) - Bluto

I don't discuss politics on this forum, but let's face it, Green Day was lauded for writing a regurgitated "critique" of the Bush years.

• Like 1