They deserve it more than Joan Jett and the Blackhearts.

If Webster's wants to use this as the example of how to use the phrase "damning with faint praise", they're welcome to do so.

Green Day wrote songs criticizing George W. Bush. So now you know why they join Obama and Carter as underserving laureates.

:facepalm: why bring politics in to this? :eh:

<burp> why not? :) - Bluto

Oh I don't know...'cause there is another thread for politics??

Edited by Rhyta
  • Like 1

If Webster's wants to use this as the example of how to use the phrase "damning with faint praise", they're welcome to do so.

Green Day wrote songs criticizing George W. Bush. So now you know why they join Obama and Carter as underserving laureates.

:facepalm: why bring politics in to this? :eh:

<burp> why not? :) - Bluto

Oh I don't know...'cause there is another thread for politics??

That doesn't mean a ban on any utterance of the concept of politics elsewhere on the board. PLus, mainly I was quoting Animal House. :)

Yeah, someone who had people killed for a pointless war with his evil sidekick as VP and sat on his ass during Katrina. That's a deserving laureate.

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/oh-wait-youre-serious-let-me-laugh-even-harder.jpg

Thanks for reminding me why I NEVER post on the politics board. I see enough crap on IMDB and Facebook. BTW, I find Obama a mixed bag and hate both parties since I'm a green party convert anyways so don't even think of labeling me a "kool aid drinking Obama worshipping lib." He lost my support when he flip flopped on food labeling. DINO Sillary is pathetic as well.

Edited by invisible airwave
  • Like 2

When is Bon Jovi eligible?

I assume you're joking, but they've been eligible since at least 2009.

And they're not inducted? A TRAVESTY!

They were on the ballot in '11.

http://www.mtv.com/news/1648859/beastie-boys-ll-cool-j-bon-jovi-nominated-for-rock-and-roll-hall-of-fame/

I should be in charge of next years inductions:

Yes

Kansas

Deep Purple

No Doubt

The Doors (or are they already in?)

Creedence Clearwater Revival (in?)

Toto

No Doubt have two more years to be eligible. CCR is in and you better believe a legend like Morrison got in 1st year of eligibility. Eddie Vedder inducted The Doors in 1993. People become eligible 25 years after they released their first album.

Seriously? No Doubt?

No Doubt is TORTURE!!!! my little cousin loves them.......that's the only reason i know.

Mick

No Doubt is one of my top ten bands of all time.

I absolutely adore them! HUUUGE FAN HERE!

green day, as shitty as they are, fit the criteria. they're popular, influential (even though they just spawned shitass bands like good charlottle and blink-182), critically acclaimed.

f**k the hall of fame though

Green Day deserve it.

Not a fan, but they provide the music charts with more intelligence than a thousand Katy Perry's, put on a spectacular show, and have a rabid fanbase larger than that of Rush.

Green Day are a commercial rock band that don't suck anywhere near as much as one would expect, considering their peers (Blink 182, Sum 41, Good Charlotte).

agreed

I find American Idiot and most other albums unlistenable at best

But on the other hand: they did make Dookie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUTGr5t3MoY

Insomniac is underrated. I hated it at first and even sold it but after revisiting it my more mature years later, it grew on me and I love it now.

I find American Idiot and most other albums unlistenable at best

But on the other hand: they did make Dookie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUTGr5t3MoY

Insomniac is underrated. I hated it at first and even sold it but after revisiting it my more mature years later, it grew on me and I love it now.

Can't say I've listened to any of it other than Brain Stew

green day, as shitty as they are, fit the criteria. they're popular, influential (even though they just spawned shitass bands like good charlottle and blink-182), critically acclaimed.

f**k the hall of fame though

They might fit the criteria but they kinda just skipped to the front of the line.. Right now somebody important like Ian Paice or Steve Howe should be tapping these guys on the shoulder saying "who the fukk are you children? Back of the line!!"

• Like 2

green day's attempt at political lyrics is embarrassing

Between them and U2 it doesn't get any worse!

Well, aside from Sinead O'Connor.

• Like 2

This has been discussed countless times on here. Bands like Yes don't have a real identifiable blues influence in their music. Rock music comes from the blues. Therefore, Yes suck. They are too technical and pretentious. Unlike Joan Jett, who plays from the heart.
  • Like 2

This has been discussed countless times on here. Bands like Yes don't have a real identifiable blues influence in their music. Rock music comes from the blues. Therefore, Yes suck. They are too technical and pretentious. Unlike Joan Jett, who plays from the heart.

You are talking absolute codswallop my friend!

• Like 2

This has been discussed countless times on here.

It has?

Bands like Yes don't have a real identifiable blues influence in their music. Rock music comes from the blues. Therefore, Yes suck. They are too technical and pretentious.

I don't remember ever seeing anything like this discussed here.

Listen to Yes's first album- the blues influence is definitely there. And that was before Steve Howe even came along.

Listen to a song like The Clap or Perpetual Change, from The Yes Album- country blues and blues influences galore.

The title track from Going For the One also features some very rockabilly-influenced slide guitar- and slide guitar is almost universally unheard in prog rock.

Considering all of the other artists who are there, Yes deserved to be inducted twenty years ago.

Really glad to see Stevie Ray- that's overdue- and Paul Butterfield is long overdue as well.

What is codswallop? Does it count bollocks among its friends? :LOL:

Yes.

I think that must be a very british term!

It has?

Bands like Yes don't have a real identifiable blues influence in their music. Rock music comes from the blues. Therefore, Yes suck. They are too technical and pretentious.

Listen to Yes's first album- the blues influence is definitely there. And that was before Steve Howe even came along.

Listen to a song like The Clap or Perpetual Change, from The Yes Album- country blues and blues influences galore.

The title track from Going For the One also features some very rockabilly-influenced slide guitar- and slide guitar is almost universally unheard in prog rock.

Considering all of the other artists who are there, Yes deserved to be inducted twenty years ago.

Really glad to see Stevie Ray- that's overdue- and Paul Butterfield is long overdue as well.

I was being sarcastic:)

• Like 1

Yes.

What did the cod ever do to make you want to wallop it? :LOL:

• Like 1

It has?

Phew!

Yes.

It got my girlfriend pregnant

Yes.

It got my girlfriend pregnant

Fry that sucker up!

It has?

A-ha! To use another British-ism...you were taking the piss!