Your Top 5 Rush Albums

Steevo

Unless I missed it, I noticed that "Test for Echo" didn't make any of the top 5. Aw, gee. ;)

There is some great material on T4E, but there is also some of the weakest they have ever recorded too. So despite the fact that the song T4E, Time And Motion, Driven, and Half The World are, in my eyes, some of the finest songs they have ever recorded, the album gets dragged down by Dog Years, Virtuality, and Carve Away The Stone.

This isn't the first time I've said this, so forgive me if I've said this to you before, but I feel like T4E was what CP should have been. Kept the sound and the good production, except they brought much better songs and less cringe-worth lyrics. I think CP gets more love because it was the first record with the good sound/production in a long time.

I will agree (sort of) with ILSnwdog that T4E has some material that is good, strong and solid, indeed I could even say the material is very good. I will even agree that the songs that you like I also consider to be good and solid. Obviously I just don't like them as much as you do. That being said, I would also lump Carve Away the Stone in with the songs you like. To each their own. I will also go so far as to argue that Dog Years is not just a bad Rush song - its just a bad song. The same could also be said of Virtuality, although it does not quite fall to the same level of Dog Years - IMO.

My big question is for LedRush. Counterparts cringe-worthy lyrics?? Out of curiosity what song(s) have bring-worthy lyrics? I understand that its more than cool we all have different tastes (mine include only finding YYZ and Hemispheres to be ho-hum songs, and strongly disliking The Fountain of Lamneth and The Necromancer - both opinions that have shocked and horrified some around here!!) but I am really puzzled by your comment.

IMO Counterparts has some great lyrics. In particular I like the lyrics for "Between Sun and Moon", "Alien Shore", "The Speed of Love", "Cold Fire" & "Everyday Glory". "Nobody's Hero" may not be at the same level but its certainly not bad (again - IMO).

So the big question goes out - and not trying to get the thread way off topic but... - so which songs do you find to have cringe-worthy lyrics?

Thanks!!!

BTW, Hemispheres, FoL and The Necromancer are all among my favorite songs by Rush. And each is better than every single song on CP. While we're at it, Dog Years has clever lyrics and is better than most of CP, and Virtuality was surprising prescient and still holds up well today. Now that that's out of the way, on CP the songs with the worst lyrics for me are: Stick It out, Cut to the Chase, Alien Shore, Cold Fire

The songs with good lyrics are Animate, Nobody's Hero, Between the Sun and Moon (except ahh yes to yes!), and Everyday Glory (probably the best lyrics on the album).

The Speed of Love has good verse lyrics and horrible chorus lyrics. Double Agent is hard, because the song is so horrid that it makes the lyrics seem worse than they are. They're actually good, but the song is just so dreadful.

I know I'm in the minority on this site, but Counterparts was proof that to many people you can polish a turd. The songs are the band's weakest, with Peart most obviously out of his element. But the production and the sound were so strong and finally a return to what many people thought Rush was supposed to be, so it remains a well-like turd. Most people on this site like the album, and that's great. Different people want different things out of songs. I personally like stories, either simple ideas or long concepts, and subtle word play. For people that wanted relationship songs, this was probably great for them. I like relationship songs when they evoke real emotion for me. These can't do that because the lyrics are mismatched at best, and just cringe worthy at worst.

1.Permanent waves

2. moving pictures

3. Power windows

4. a farewell to kings

5. grace under pressure

6. signais

7. hemispheres

8. 2112

9.caress of steel

10.clockwork angels

11. fly by night

12. test for echo

13.vapor trails

14.hold your fire

15. presto

16. counterparts

17. snakes and arrows

18. rush

19. roll the bones

20. feedback

The whole list, if i looked at it again i would have to rearrange it so im just gonna hit post

Unless I missed it, I noticed that "Test for Echo" didn't make any of the top 5. Aw, gee. ;)

There is some great material on T4E, but there is also some of the weakest they have ever recorded too. So despite the fact that the song T4E, Time And Motion, Driven, and Half The World are, in my eyes, some of the finest songs they have ever recorded, the album gets dragged down by Dog Years, Virtuality, and Carve Away The Stone.

This isn't the first time I've said this, so forgive me if I've said this to you before, but I feel like T4E was what CP should have been. Kept the sound and the good production, except they brought much better songs and less cringe-worth lyrics. I think CP gets more love because it was the first record with the good sound/production in a long time.

I will agree (sort of) with ILSnwdog that T4E has some material that is good, strong and solid, indeed I could even say the material is very good. I will even agree that the songs that you like I also consider to be good and solid. Obviously I just don't like them as much as you do. That being said, I would also lump Carve Away the Stone in with the songs you like. To each their own. I will also go so far as to argue that Dog Years is not just a bad Rush song - its just a bad song. The same could also be said of Virtuality, although it does not quite fall to the same level of Dog Years - IMO.

My big question is for LedRush. Counterparts cringe-worthy lyrics?? Out of curiosity what song(s) have bring-worthy lyrics? I understand that its more than cool we all have different tastes (mine include only finding YYZ and Hemispheres to be ho-hum songs, and strongly disliking The Fountain of Lamneth and The Necromancer - both opinions that have shocked and horrified some around here!!) but I am really puzzled by your comment.

IMO Counterparts has some great lyrics. In particular I like the lyrics for "Between Sun and Moon", "Alien Shore", "The Speed of Love", "Cold Fire" & "Everyday Glory". "Nobody's Hero" may not be at the same level but its certainly not bad (again - IMO).

So the big question goes out - and not trying to get the thread way off topic but... - so which songs do you find to have cringe-worthy lyrics?

Thanks!!!

BTW, Hemispheres, FoL and The Necromancer are all among my favorite songs by Rush. And each is better than every single song on CP. While we're at it, Dog Years has clever lyrics and is better than most of CP, and Virtuality was surprising prescient and still holds up well today. Now that that's out of the way, on CP the songs with the worst lyrics for me are: Stick It out, Cut to the Chase, Alien Shore, Cold Fire

The songs with good lyrics are Animate, Nobody's Hero, Between the Sun and Moon (except ahh yes to yes!), and Everyday Glory (probably the best lyrics on the album).

The Speed of Love has good verse lyrics and horrible chorus lyrics. Double Agent is hard, because the song is so horrid that it makes the lyrics seem worse than they are. They're actually good, but the song is just so dreadful.

I know I'm in the minority on this site, but Counterparts was proof that to many people you can polish a turd. The songs are the band's weakest, with Peart most obviously out of his element. But the production and the sound were so strong and finally a return to what many people thought Rush was supposed to be, so it remains a well-like turd. Most people on this site like the album, and that's great. Different people want different things out of songs. I personally like stories, either simple ideas or long concepts, and subtle word play. For people that wanted relationship songs, this was probably great for them. I like relationship songs when they evoke real emotion for me. These can't do that because the lyrics are mismatched at best, and just cringe worthy at worst.

Was just shutting down for the night when i saw your reply post - your BTW comments tickled my funny bone for some reason and gave me a good laugh. Guess we may be both big Rush fans but clearly come to the group in rather different ways (although given your description of your tastes in songs I will guess that you also like Xanadu, 2112, & By-Tor - all of which I love).

I will (sort of) agree with you that Double Agent is not that strong. In fact, I consider it to be the worst song on the album. It has parts that are ok (the very start) then it just goes off in some strange direction. Hate to say it, but the song sort of reminds me of the vile VT album in some way. Not a fan of "Animate", "Stick it Out" or "Cut to the Chase" either. But starting with "Nobody's Hero" the album just takes off (for me). That being said, and I have said this many times on this board, I used to call this album "CounterFARTS" because I used to think it was hot air and it stank. But over time I have changed my mind (obviously).

Still - thanks for sticking your neck out and answering my question. Much appreciated and have a good one.

1. Hemispheres

2. Caress of Steel

3. 2112

4. Moving Pictures

5. Clockwork Angels

6. A Farewell To Kings

7. Permanent Waves

8. Grace Under Pressure

9. Test for Echo

10. Roll the Bones

11. Vapor Trails

12. Fly By Night

13. Signals

14. Power Windows

15. Snakes and Arrows

16. Rush

17. Presto

18. Hold Your Fire

19. Counterparts

20. Feedback

At this second in time...

1. Moving Pictures

2. Hemispheres

3. Permanent Waves

4. Power Widows

5. Clockwork Angels

what the hell I will go to 10 lol

6. Grace Under Pressure

7. A Farewell To Kings

8. Signals

9. Counterparts

10. Snakes And Arrows

Edited by Analog_Bro

Geddy Lee's top 4 albums: "Probably Moving Pictures, 2112, Power Windows and Clockwork Angels, but not necessarily in that order. To me, they are the most satisfying records that we've made."
  • Like 1

Screw it I will do the all too.

1. Permanent Waves

2. Hemispheres

3. Moving Pictures

4. Signals

5. Power Windows

6. 2112

7. Grace Under Pressure

8. Hold Your Fire

9. Clockwork Angels

10. A Farewell to Kings

11. Snakes & Arrows

12. Counterparts

13. Roll The Bones

14. Vaportrails

15. Test For Echo

16. Presto

17. Fly By Night

18. Rush

19. Caress of Steel

Edited by Todem

I can't really rank them but here they are:

Permanent Waves

Hemispheres

Power Windows

Moving Pictures

Clockwerk Angels.

Though before CA came out Carress of Steel would have been in there

Hold Your Fire? Seriously people? The only album worse is Counterparts.

the only albums worse than hold your fire and counterparts are presto, roll the bones, test for echo, vapor trails and snakes and arrows.

Hold Your Fire? Seriously people? The only album worse is Counterparts.

the only albums worse than hold your fire and counterparts are presto, roll the bones, test for echo, vapor trails and snakes and arrows.

My man..... :)

I can't possibly rank them, but my top 4 are A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, and Moving Pictures. Number 5 would vary by day. Today it might be Signals, but tomorrow it might be 2112.

I can't possibly rank them, but my top 4 are A Farewell to Kings, Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, and Moving Pictures. Number 5 would vary by day. Today it might be Signals, but tomorrow it might be 2112.

And the next day it might be Caress Of Steel?...... :huh:
  • Like 1