Your Top 5 Rush Albums

Steevo

My top five is complicated. I've got five albums that I enjoy equally. Consequently, there is no true number one, just a collection of greats.

AFTK

CA

CP

PeW

PoW

I am with you here. :goodone:
  • Like 1

Right now, I'm going with

1. Hemispheres

2. Caress of Steel

3. 2112

4. Moving Pictures

5. Clockwork Angels

I can see GuP, AFTK or RTB taking that spot back from CA sometime in the future. But not this day!

1. Moving Pictures

2. Permanent Waves

3. 2112

4. AFTK

5. Vapor Trails

I almost never listen to MP, and realize it is sort of "non-Rush hipster" to count it #1, but really it just is.

Very recently Power Windows joined the upper ranks :eh: a weird side affect of reading what you guys had to say about it. :bitchslap:....

• Like 1

Hold Your Fire? Seriously people?

Dude......lot's of Rush fans are Rush fans because of Hold Your Fire.

They have transcended 3 generations going on 4 brother.

That is the sign of an all time great band.

And Hold Your Fire is a brilliant album. f***ing brilliant.

I am personally amazed by how popular HYF is but whatever...the diversity of faves is always pleasing! :cool:

For me it has a lot to do with how high the production value this album brings. Power Windows was such an amazing album for me. It was such a dramatic change...even more so than Grace Under Pressure. Signals was a masterpiece but at the time of it's release it was despised by the old guard.

Signals had Broons finger prints all over it. The warmth, the sound of Neils drums, the analog keys, mini moogs etc. It was still a Rush album with a slight turn of direction with more warm keys, a toned down Alex etc.

Then Grace came and it was a sterile production. I loved it...but it was a real change of sonic approach and song writing.

Power Windows really was the album that signaled Rush was truly experiementing with different layers of sounds, midi sequencing, and a totally new approach to how they record their music. Neil's drum sound on Windows was just bombastic. I love it so much. The album was a triumph. The use of strings, Alex's horn blasting chords and Geddys infectious bass lines. And of course Neil's lyrics.

Enter Hold Your Fire. The album is flush with so many layers of lush soundscapes......I really could not believe my ears that this was Rush. And the songs were so tight. The lyrics IMO some of Neil's all time best. Hold Your Fire was the culmination of the journey started by Signals. Although Alex may not look so fondly back on this period but I can tell you that I sure do. This was a moment captured perfectly.

While most rock bands were chasing hair metal and power ballads....Rush were embracing new wave and making it their own.

Hold Your Fire is unsung brilliance.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 6

I am personally amazed by how popular HYF is but whatever...the diversity of faves is always pleasing! :cool:

For me it has a lot to do with how high the production value this album brings. Power Windows was such an amazing album for me. It was such a dramatic change...even more so than Grace Under Pressure. Signals was a masterpiece but at the time of it's release it was despised by the old guard.

Signals had Broons finger prints all over it. The warmth, the sound of Neils drums, the analog keys, mini moogs etc. It was still a Rush album with a slight turn of direction with more warm keys, a toned down Alex etc.

Then Grace came and it was a sterile production. I loved it...but it was a real change of sonic approach and song writing.

Power Windows really was the album that signaled Rush was truly experiementing with different layers of sounds, midi sequencing, and a totally new approach to how they record their music. Neil's drum sound on Windows was just bombastic. I love it so much. The album was a triumph. The use of strings, Alex's horn blasting chords and Geddys infectious bass lines. And of course Neil's lyrics.

Enter Hold Your Fire. The album is flush with so many layers of lush soundscapes......I really could not believe my ears that this was Rush. And the songs were so tight. The lyrics IMO some of Neil's all time best. Hold Your Fire was the culmination of the journey started by Signals. Although Alex may not look so fondly back on this period but I can tell you that I sure do. This was a moment captured perfectly.

While most rock bands were chasing hair metal and power ballads....Rush were embracing new wave and making it their own.

Excellent post, thanks. It's that batch that have taken the longest to warm to, and I guess they are slowly working their charms. Grace is such a solid album though, I can't praise it enough.

Edited by Steevo

I wish it had been unsung.

• Like 2

1. Power Windows

2. A Farewell To Kings

3. Clockwork Angels

4. Hold Your Fire

5. Test For Echo

6. Signals

Had to do six because it really is a tight and ever changing battle for spots 3-6. I also til recently for some reason could not rank Clockwork Angels, I loved it, but it did not feel right at any position. Though AFOK is 2 I almost never listen to it because it feels weird not listening to it all the way through and not playing Hemispheres immediatley after.

1. Moving Pictures

2. Permanent Waves

3. Clockwork Angels

4. Signals

5. A Farewell to Kings

I know it's all subjective opinion, but how can anyone NOT put MP and PeW in the top two spots?? :)

• Like 1

1. 2112

2. HYF

3. Power Windows

4. AFTK

5. MP

The 1st 4 are fairly set and stable. Picking # 5 was the really hard pick. There was a wild fight for that spot between MP, Permanent Waves, FBN, Signals, Grace Under Pressure, Presto and Counterparts. Today MP wins. Tomorrow that might change.

Have to quantify this by saying these are the CD's carried in my car at all times and therefore "spun" most often when a Rush-fix is needed:

1) Different Stages

2) 2112**

3) COS

4) Retrospective 3

5) Tie between Hemispheres and MP.

**Only listened to when I know the drive will be long enough for at least a complete side 1. And living in Los Angeles, you know that is a regular occurrence!

1. Hemispheres

2. Permanent Waves

3. 2112

4. Fly by Night

5. Moving Pictures

5. Signals

5. Counterparts

5. Clockwork Angels

I think it is funny to see how diverse everyone's top 5's are. I find something interesting in all the albums and get obsessed with one for a while and then something catches my ear on another one and I am on to it. The above are my top 5, though, I would say that are always there...since I can't name a top 24 (or whatever we are up to).