Your Top 5 Rush Albums

Steevo

Hold Your Fire? Seriously people? The only album worse is Counterparts.

Hold Your Fire? Seriously people? The only album worse is Counterparts.

Every single Rush album has enough gems on it that I can easily see how someone could find it to be a favorite. If an album like Hold Your Fire was the first release that led you to Rush, I can totally see how that could be a sentimental favorite. Not to mention that Force Ten, Time Stand Still, The Mission, and Lock And Key are pretty bad ass tunes.

And you're on crack if you have Counterparts ranked as the worst Rush album! :o

• Like 1

These are easy:

Moving Pictures

Permanent Waves

Signals

This is where it gets tough:

Power Windows

A Farewell to Kings

It feels weird leaving 2112, Hemispheres, Fly By Night, Grace Under Pressure, and Clockwork Angels off of the list. :(

This is incredibly hard:

5. Hold Your Fire / Snakes and Arrows / Clockwork Angels / Roll The Bones / Power Windows / MP PW

That's cheating!!!! :smash:

1 - Rush

2 - Fly by night

3 - Caress of Steel

4 - 2112

5 - ATWAS

if it wasn't for these 5, there wouldn't be no other albums! =P RushOn!!! \m/

• Like 1

Tough as ever .

A Farewell To Kings

Hemispheres

Permanent Waves

Caress Of Steel

:D

• Like 1

1. Hemispheres

2. Permanent Waves

3. A Farewell to Kings

4. Moving Pictures

5. Caress of Steel

• Like 1

Unless I missed it, I noticed that "Test for Echo" didn't make any of the top 5. Aw, gee. ;)

These have remained fairly solid in my top 5 for a while (especially 1-3)...

1. Waves

2. Signals

3. Hemispheres

4. MP

5. 2112

...after this, the hair pulling/splitting begins.

• Like 1

Unless I missed it, I noticed that "Test for Echo" didn't make any of the top 5. Aw, gee. ;)

There is some great material on T4E, but there is also some of the weakest they have ever recorded too. So despite the fact that the song T4E, Time And Motion, Driven, and Half The World are, in my eyes, some of the finest songs they have ever recorded, the album gets dragged down by Dog Years, Virtuality, and Carve Away The Stone.

I like T4E. Obviously not a top 5, but it cracks my top 10 from time, and I like it more than most of the PoW-Presto stuff.

There is some great material on T4E, but there is also some of the weakest they have ever recorded too. So despite the fact that the song T4E, Time And Motion, Driven, and Half The World are, in my eyes, some of the finest songs they have ever recorded, the album gets dragged down by Dog Years, Virtuality, and Carve Away The Stone.

This isn't the first time I've said this, so forgive me if I've said this to you before, but I feel like T4E was what CP should have been. Kept the sound and the good production, except they brought much better songs and less cringe-worth lyrics. I think CP gets more love because it was the first record with the good sound/production in a long time.

I'm all in

1. Moving Pictures

2. Signals

3. Permanent Waves

4. Grace Under Pressure

5. Vapor Trails

6. Clockwork Angels

7. Counterparts

8. Roll the Bones

9. Hemispheres

10. A Farewell to Kings

11. Power Windows

12. 2112

13. Snakes & Arrows

14. Hold Your Fire

15. Presto

16. Test for Echo

17. Fly By Night

18. Caress of Steel

19. Rush

Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures

A Farewell to Kings

Hemispheres

CA

The first four on my list are the "classic period" for me. Geddy's tortured vocal style from the first four albums subsides and the musicianship rises to its pinnacle.

CA benefits from being most recent. There was a time that I would have said S&A is close to top 5. Now it wouldn't be in my top 10. The other top albums for me are Signals, GUP, Counterparts and Vapor Trails.

Yeah, it made #5 for me, check the bottom of page two.

This isn't the first time I've said this, so forgive me if I've said this to you before, but I feel like T4E was what CP should have been. Kept the sound and the good production, except they brought much better songs and less cringe-worth lyrics. I think CP gets more love because it was the first record with the good sound/production in a long time.

I will agree (sort of) with ILSnwdog that T4E has some material that is good, strong and solid, indeed I could even say the material is very good. I will even agree that the songs that you like I also consider to be good and solid. Obviously I just don't like them as much as you do. That being said, I would also lump Carve Away the Stone in with the songs you like. To each their own. I will also go so far as to argue that Dog Years is not just a bad Rush song - its just a bad song. The same could also be said of Virtuality, although it does not quite fall to the same level of Dog Years - IMO.

My big question is for LedRush. Counterparts cringe-worthy lyrics?? Out of curiosity what song(s) have bring-worthy lyrics? I understand that its more than cool we all have different tastes (mine include only finding YYZ and Hemispheres to be ho-hum songs, and strongly disliking The Fountain of Lamneth and The Necromancer - both opinions that have shocked and horrified some around here!!) but I am really puzzled by your comment.

IMO Counterparts has some great lyrics. In particular I like the lyrics for "Between Sun and Moon", "Alien Shore", "The Speed of Love", "Cold Fire" & "Everyday Glory". "Nobody's Hero" may not be at the same level but its certainly not bad (again - IMO).

So the big question goes out - and not trying to get the thread way off topic but... - so which songs do you find to have cringe-worthy lyrics?

Thanks!!!

I play guitar, and that influences my choices greatly. GUP has guitar work completely unique in the Rush catalog......lots of chord work in the solos, and tons of other cool rhythm parts. FBN is just plain fun to play along to. It has some of the rawness of the 1st album with the beginnings of progressive elements. PoW has great songs with NO FILLER, and the solos are top notch. Signals is the sleeper in my top 5. Even though the guitars are not so prominent, I just love this record. The Weapon, Digital Man, Analog Kid are all among my absolute fav Rush tunes. CP is vastly underrated in my opinion. It's rocking and atmospheric at the same time. I'm STILL hoping Cut To The Chase and Everyday Glory show up on one of these tours. Maybe it's weird, but that's my top 5 and I'm sticking to it................
  • Like 1