Your Top 5 Rush Albums

Steevo

I have a feeling that they will yet do another Xanadu. I know they have it in them.

CA is full of moments that suggest this to me...Headlong Flight with a push could have been something gamechanging...as could have the title track...

Yes, that is why I have the feeling that their next album will be even better. They are going in the right direction.

Another Xanadu is right around the corner.......

Not unless they clean up the sound and all the layers in my opinion..... :(

And find melody again.

I have a feeling that they will yet do another Xanadu. I know they have it in them.

CA is full of moments that suggest this to me...Headlong Flight with a push could have been something gamechanging...as could have the title track...

Yes, that is why I have the feeling that their next album will be even better. They are going in the right direction.

A great song is a great song regardless of the production.

And find melody again.

I find CA ridiculously catchy!

A great song is a great song if you get the production right. They need Terry Brown back.

Fixed.

• Like 1

It's not great to me if I can't stand listening to it regardless of it's "potential".....

A great song is a great song if you get the production right. They need Terry Brown back.

Fixed.

If Terry Brown is up to the task, and willing to progress with the band, I say YES. If not, I suggest they stick with Nick Rac... and find themselves a better person to mix and master. Snakes And Arrows sounds very clear.

However, CA is awesome. It made me go from casual to MEGA FAN. So that is enough to make me grateful.

• Like 2

It's not great to me if I can't stand listening to it regardless of it's "potential".....

True. Vapor Trails comes to mind...

But seriously, CA wasn't as bad as a few of us make out. I seriously fell for the songs so quickly it took ages to realise the sound was less than perfect!

My untrained and amateur ear doesn't hear what you and others do. I agree that the sound of CA is not sharp. The bootlegs I have from the seventies and eighties sound better, and they weren't even recorded by professionals!

What they need to do is get back one of their best producers and create a Rush Masterpiece to end all Rush Masterpieces!!!

If they need help, they can call me.

• Like 1

So many of us are used to being able to pick out notes. CA is a wall of sound. When you can hear individual notes there is so much gloriousness!

Rush used to have a brilliant formula of breaking the music down so that solos didn't drop out. They dropped everything deliberately before Alex soloed to make is jump out. They knew how to create space and the space they created made the notes stand out. Not on the last three albums. THAT is Terry's genius, not in the mixing. The mixing is its own problem but the arrangements is where they've strayed.

Edited by KennyLee
  • Like 2

My untrained and amateur ear doesn't hear what you and others do. I agree that the sound of CA is not sharp. The bootlegs I have from the seventies and eighties sound better, and they weren't even recorded by professionals!

What they need to do is get back one of their best producers and create a Rush Masterpiece to end all Rush Masterpieces!!!

If they need help, they can call me.

You are drawn to Xanadu for the beauty of the song and the clear, clean and concise recording of it. I agree the song itself is most important but it can be more pleasing to the ear or not depending on the recording of it.....

So many of us are used to being able to pick out notes. CA is a wall of sound. When you can hear individual notes there is so much gloriousness!

Rush used to have a brilliant formula of breaking the music down so that solos didn't drop out. They dropped everything deliberately before Alex soloed to make is jump out. They knew how to create space and the space they created made the notes stand out. Not on the last three albums. THAT is Terry's genius, not in the mixing. The mixing is its own problem but the arrangements is where they've strayed.

You know, this is so true! I was listening to Caress Of Steel and A Farewell To Kings and their is so much space and the music flows...perfectly arranged.

I listened to all three of the post 2000 albums and Snakes and Arrows has a measure of that restraint, but VT and CA are way too...noisy...but I love the noise of CA.

But I agree, go back to the early years Rush, remind yourselves of what it was that made your music stand out from the crowd, and build onto the successful formula that you perfected on CA. I seriously agree with Lorraine, if they were to really push themselves, and listen to well meant criticism, they could hone their skills once again and astound us with something on the same level as Xanadu, or even Natural Science.

• Like 1

*fingers crossed*

• Like 1

I think ive posted mine in here before, but its probably changed, heres my 5 in no order

Permanent waves

Moving Pictures

A farewell to kings

Hemispheres

Power Windows

Does anyone here know whose idea it was to have the String Ensemble on CA? And, did Rush ever say why they decided to add them?

Probably because CA had so much studio production. Cut that crap out and they won't need a string section. Alex used to say, "If we can't do it live it ain't on the record." Not so much now it seems.

Does anyone here know whose idea it was to have the String Ensemble on CA? And, did Rush ever say why they decided to add them?

Probably because CA had so much studio production. Cut that crap out and they won't need a string section. Alex used to say, "If we can't do it live it ain't on the record." Not so much now it seems.

But i still want to know whose idea the String Ensemble was and why they decided to have it. Couldn't they have just used a mellotron or moog synthesizer instead if they wanted that sound?

But i still want to know whose idea the String Ensemble was and why they decided to have it. Couldn't they have just used a mellotron or moog synthesizer instead if they wanted that sound?

I suppose they could have duplicated the sounds with synths but it is so much more authentic to do it with real strings. It adds a fullness to the music that just seems different because it is real. Sort of the different between using real guitar and guitar samples. And the fact that they were able to reproduce those sounds live (by using the touring strings) was wonderful, and a nod to the Alex of old.

• Like 1

One more time.

Whose idea was it to use Strings and what made decide to use them?

:banghead:

Haha. I don't know. I would imagine all three made the decision.

I do know Geddy definitely wants to spend less time worrying about keyboards on stage.

Edited by KennyLee

One more time.

I do know Geddy definitely wants to spend less time worrying about keyboards on stage.

Do you know why?

One more time.

Do you know why?

He wants to focus more on his bass. That's his instrument of choice and he would rather be playing that than worrying about synths.

• Like 1

Power Windows

Moving Pictures

Permanent Waves

Hemispheres

A Farewell to Kings

At this moment in time.

What? :o No Roll The Bones and no Clockwork Angels? :o

Power Windows

Moving Pictures

Permanent Waves

Hemispheres

A Farewell to Kings

At this moment in time.

What? :o No Roll The Bones and no Clockwork Angels? :o

No offense, Zumbi, but how can anyone put either album (RTB and CA) in the same category as those five masterpiece albums?

• Like 1