4: CoS

5: MP

My current top five:

5. Test For Echo

4. p/g

3. 2112

2. Counterparts

1. A Farewell To Kings

Counterparts and Grace Under Pressure are in your top 5. This pleases me greatly. I could listen to those two all day.

My current top five, which is ever changing, is:

1: AFTK

2: p/g

3: 2112

4: CoS

5: MP

My current top five:

5. Test For Echo

4. p/g

3. 2112

2. Counterparts

1. A Farewell To Kings

Counterparts and Grace Under Pressure are in your top 5. This pleases me greatly. I could listen to those two all day.

Grace Under Pressure is a permanent mainstay in my top ten, ALWAYS! 10/10 no flaws...no hyperbole I looooove it...as for Counterparts, always liked it. Now its really growing on me, its beautiful lyrically and the way it rocks out, balls to the wall, is a terrific antidote to the two previous "softies".

I love it!

Counterparts is a bit hairy for me, I rank it 14th... It has some great songs (Animate, CTTC, BSM, Alien Shore, Double Agent, LTTA) but also some clunkers which have caused by appreciation for it to drop spectacularly (TSOL, Everyday Glory). Lyrically, it's better than the one after or the one before, but it's about on par with Presto, though it has a totally different focus.

Counterparts is a bit hairy for me, I rank it 14th... It has some great songs (Animate, CTTC, BSM, Alien Shore, Double Agent, LTTA) but also some clunkers which have caused by appreciation for it to drop spectacularly (TSOL, Everyday Glory). Lyrically, it's better than the one after or the one before, but it's about on par with Presto, though it has a totally different focus.

The Speed Of Love and Everyday Glory are glorious songs!

• Like 1

Weren't those made somewhere between 87' and 07'?..... :codger: :D
  • Like 1

Yes!

Yes!

I rarely ask a question that I don't already know the answer too..... :codger:
  • Like 1

Yup. '94 to be exact. Actually, none of the albums from '89 (not '87) to '07 are even in my top 12, much less top 10... Nonetheless, there are some great SONGS from this era, just no great ALBUMS. Hold Your Fire was the last great one until CA.

Edited by len(songs)

Narps, you need to take a remedial course in Rushology. And soon. :LOL:

Aah, I guess it's all a matter of opinion...

That has to be the biggest understatement on this forum. :LOL:

The only problem is that everyone is convinced that their opinion is THE opinion. :cool:

I know right! Like...not everybody loves T4E of HYF as much as me, but I must be such a weak fan of Rush to even think of...gasp...playing more than one post-MP Rush album!!

• Like 2

Yup. '94 to be exact. Actually, none of the albums from '89 (not '87) to '07 are even in my top 12, much less top 10... Nonetheless, there are some great SONGS from this era, just no great ALBUMS. Hold Your Fire was the last great one until CA.

In the right mood, I find Presto and Counterparts to be on a similar level...

I have been thinking and considering this issue with my "blindness" for lack of a better word toward that "era". The stuff I have tried to listen to I haven't liked. I really think there is something inside me that avoids it because I don't want to ruin (or tarnish to be exact) my love for my band. I hold everything 74' - 85' in such high regard that I would rather hold on to that than take any risk of tainting it. I remember when I got Roll The Bones after I heard it (the song) on Rio and played the album in its entirety, it made me sad and almost physically ill. I would rather love more than any music of my life "what I love" and leave the rest alone. CA is listenable because I like the majority of the songs. If the sound and mix were clean I would hold it in even higher esteem.... :codger:
  • Like 1

I have been thinking and considering this issue with my "blindness" for lack of a better word toward that "era". The stuff I have tried to listen to I haven't liked. I really think there is something inside me that avoids it because I don't want to ruin (or tarnish to be exact) my love for my band. I hold everything 74' - 85' in such high regard that I would rather hold on to that than take any risk of tainting it. I remember when I got Roll The Bones after I heard it (the song) on Rio and played the album in its entirety, it made me sad and almost physically ill. I would rather love more than any music of my life "what I love" and leave the rest alone. CA is listenable because I like the majority of the songs. If the sound and mix were clean I would hold it in even higher esteem.... :codger:

Stick to what you know best! I tried really hard with Vapor Trails.. I see a few redeeming features...but a lot of meh and ghastly production.

If you cannot get along wuth mire than one album, I think its acceptable! Buuuut Presto is worth a try. I think it is a bit of a grower, but it was a slight return to the style of MP by way of the subsequent synth albums.

Abd Geddy sings beautifully. Give it a shot on YouTube!

! Edited by Segue Myles

These 5 as usual, the order is interchangeable though:

Hemispheres

A Farewell to Kings

Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures

My top five for about a year...

Hemispheres

A Farewell to Kings

Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures

He is correct. COS was a great warm up to the greatness that was to come....

Stick to what you know best! I tried really hard with Vapor Trails.. I see a few redeeming features...but a lot of meh and ghastly production.

If you cannot get along wuth mire than one album, I think its acceptable! Buuuut Presto is worth a try. I think it is a bit of a grower, but it was a slight return to the style of MP by way of the subsequent synth albums.

Abd Geddy sings beautifully. Give it a shot on YouTube!

I am going to give it a listen just for you and I am a bit of a grower too so...... :D

The only problem is that everyone is convinced that their opinion is THE opinion. :cool:

Yes, exactly! Now if everyone would only realize that MY opinion is the correct one. ;) :outtahere:

• Like 3

Yes, exactly! Now if everyone would only realize that MY opinion is the correct one. ;) :outtahere:

You are correct most of the time. I will give you that..... :codger:
  • Like 1

Hemispheres

A Farewell to Kings

Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures

My top 5 for 33 years and counting...

Hemispheres

A Farewell to Kings

Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures

If somebody was to ask me what were the five GREATEST Rush albums, these five would still come up tops.

But in the moment, other albums stand out...I think every Rush album has greatness, but in the case of these five, that greatness is beyond solid: their beauty cannot be disputed.

And this is in spite of the fact that side one of Hemispheres is not a particular favourite!

Hemispheres

A Farewell to Kings

Permanent Waves

Moving Pictures

If somebody was to ask me what were the five GREATEST Rush albums, these five would still come up tops.

But in the moment, other albums stand out...I think every Rush album has greatness, but in the case of these five, that greatness is beyond solid: their beauty cannot be disputed.

And this is in spite of the fact that side one of Hemispheres is not a particular favourite!

These to me are the five greatest. Some real hardcore old schoolers might slide MP out and COS in. I wouldn't but some would. COS would probably be sixth, possibly seventh in my opinion.......